User Tag List

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: In Defense of the Christians....

The Last Free American V.I.P Achievements:
    SocialTagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteranOverdrive
    Overall activity: 19.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HAMARTIA View Post
    Cop out. You started the thread, guy. I was participating. Sorry my questions proved too difficult for you.

Perhaps in the future your threads should include disclaimers that all newcomers are not welcome to participate in any meaningful way, but should sit back, relax and realize there's "history" here and if you get what Quark's talking about great! There's no need for discussion because, "been there, done that". And if you don't get it, too bad.. Quark's not up for it again.
    There have been a lot of 'Atheists vs Christians!' threads here, and this does not seem to be one. It seems as though @Quark is offering an olive branch, and wants to soften the polemy in this area.

The whole 'assumption' issue seemed to strike a chord, and perhaps the infallibility of @Sled Dog was questioned..

But whatever the case, you should look for religious hostility in another thread, as that does not seem to be the intent in this one.
    The more you know, the more you know you don't know. ~Aristotle

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to usfan For This Useful Post:

gregonejeep (09-14-2018),Jim Scott (09-16-2018),Swedgin (09-14-2018)

SocialTagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteranOverdrive

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Quark View Post
    The space shuttles Challenger and Columbia for example.

Maintenance on aircraft, for example one bolt is as good as another bolt. Many a plane crash is from maintenance doing way to much assuming. That includes pilots too.

And how about ships. Two warships that collided with freighters. A huge amount of ships sinking from way too much assuming.

Go to you tube and call up plane crashes and ships sinking. 99% of the crashes and sinkings are from way to much assuming.
    Why would you assume atheists, or science, is to blame for these things?

Don't get me wrong.. i clearly see the assumptions in almost every human endeavor, and the absurdity in believing that a particular subset of humans are somehow immune from this condition. But why would their religious/philosophical beliefs be the Cause for accidents, death, wars, and pestilence?

If they are compelled by the ideology, as muslims commanded to, 'Kill the Infidel!!', then there is a consequential act from the ideological basis. But if it is normal human incompetence, corruption, greed, aggression, or stupidity, how can you blame the ideology?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HAMARTIA View Post
    I've read this post several times, and I don't think your thoughts are very organized.

So, I'll just pose some questions pertaining to perhaps one part of your post. Why do you think Christians wear seatbelts in their vehicles, or look both ways before crossing the street? Wear lifejackets when out on the water? Or helmets when riding a motorcycle?
    You seem to think Christians are fatalistic, or believe everything is predestined. You really think there is some kind of ideological conflict between following Jesus and wearing seat belts?

Alumni Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialTagger First ClassCreated Blog entryVeteran
    Overall activity: 43.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I don't have much time as I have to take my wife to the doctor but I'll try and clear things up a little if I can.

My OP had nothing to do with religion other than that in order to believe in God a religion has to do a whole lot of assuming, which is accepting a fact as true without any proof.

In science and engineering a whole lot of assuming goes on as well which again is accepting a fact as true without proof. I did not realize that science and engineering did so much assuming. What science training I have had especially as a gemologist there was no assuming you either know or you don't know.

Many on here with a science or engineering background who also happen to be Atheists/Agnostics have made fun of the Christians on here for assuming to much when in reality scientists and engineers do a whole lot of assuming themselves. Now I know NOT all scientists and engineers are Atheists/Agnostics but those who are usually deride Christians for their assuming and then turn around and go about assuming themselves.

The point I was trying to make was that perhaps us non-believers who go around assuming should not be so hard on Christians who also go around assuming. The pot calling the kettle black.

I personally, try to avoid assuming as much as humanly possible. My training in science and accounting teaches not to assume anything as assuming most often as not, is wrong. Apparently, not all science and engineering teaches the same thing.

I hope this clears things up.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Quark For This Useful Post:

gregonejeep (09-14-2018),Jim Scott (09-16-2018),Swedgin (09-14-2018),usfan (09-14-2018)

V.I.P. V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocial1 year registered
    Overall activity: 62.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by usfan View Post
    You seem to think Christians are fatalistic, or believe everything is predestined. You really think there is some kind of ideological conflict between following Jesus and wearing seat belts?

I think Jesus, in the 1950's, would not have required a seat belt. Today, and in the near past, he certainly would have worn them.

He pretty much went along with what "Caesar" required, unless it was morally uncool?
    "If you think they hate Trump now, wait till his policies start working." (Dennis Miller)

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who kept their swords." (Benjamin Franklin)

"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society." ​(Aristotle)

Alumni Member & VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassRecommendation First ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 31.0%

Thanks
    I've noticed that in life assuming and expecting are the two things that cause the most trouble. Trusting is next.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jen For This Useful Post:

usfan (09-14-2018)

V.I.P. V.I.P Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Thanks

Maintenance on aircraft, for example one bolt is as good as another bolt. Many a plane crash is from maintenance doing way to much assuming. That includes pilots too.

And how about ships. Two warships that collided with freighters. A huge amount of ships sinking from way too much assuming.

Go to you tube and call up plane crashes and ships sinking. 99% of the crashes and sinkings are from way to much assuming.
    I like you but this was wholly buffoonish.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MisterVeritis For This Useful Post:

OneDumbBlonde (09-17-2018)

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassRecommendation Second ClassVeteran

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by usfan View Post

But whatever the case, you should look for religious hostility in another thread, as that does not seem to be the intent in this one.
    But you're here, so that's where the hostility and lies are.
    Freedom Takes "I Won't". - Eric Frank Russell

Trump has been President for 537 days and Ruth Bader Ginzberg hasn't had the decency to die. What's up with that?

LBJ was a Democrat. I wish more Democrats could be like him. He's dead now.

Social50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassRecommendation Second ClassVeteran

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Got nothing to do with science.

Trump has been President for 537 days and Ruth Bader Ginzberg hasn't had the decency to die. What's up with that?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gregonejeep View Post
    What is the difference in the way an atheist looks at ones death and a Christian ?
    One pretends he's taking a journey, the atheist knows there's nothing after.

Thread Information