User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you prefer the white meat or dark meat of your turkey?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • White meat

3 75.00%
  • Dark meat

1 25.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: White meat or dark meat?

Tiocfaidh ar la Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points31 days registered
    Overall activity: 45.0%

Thanks

White meat or dark meat?

The midterm elections are fast approaching and their importance may overshadow another traditional November event.

Thanksgiving Day.

Be sure to give thanks - to God, but also be mindful of what to do with the bird. Nothing spoils a Thanksgiving dinner like a poorly cooked turkey. It is also worth choosing your favorite part of the turkey.

Which do you like? White meat or dark meat? Am I racist for preferring white meat?
    We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; For he to-day that sheds his blood with me Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile, This day shall gentle his condition; And gentlemen in England now a-bed Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here, And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day. -William Shakespeare - Henry V, Act IV

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Shane Ryan For This Useful Post:

Retiredat50 (08-09-2018)

V.I.P. V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registeredTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 71.0%

Thanks
    I guess I would be dark meat since I usually have a rib roast for Thanksgiving. After Thanksgiving when all the turkey is on sale I usually grab a couple of whole turkey breasts to throw in the freezer and then cook for sandwich meat. I don't have anything against turkey dark meat, but a whole turkey is just too much for someone that lives alone.

Racist for preferring white meat? Not yet, but I am sure at some point they will get around to labeling that as racist as well. Damn, I had to stop eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches so I could avoid being racist.

Thanks
    I can't edit the poll, but note if you like both, or eat ham on Thanksgiving.
    Last edited by Shane Ryan; 08-09-2018 at 11:11 PM.
    We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; For he to-day that sheds his blood with me Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile, This day shall gentle his condition; And gentlemen in England now a-bed Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here, And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day. -William Shakespeare - Henry V, Act IV

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points3 months registered
    Overall activity: 42.0%

Thanks
    I’m not big on turkey, I greatly prefer the post turkey sandwiches to the actual turkey. But on TK I eat the dark meat, it holds me over till the real star of the day makes its appearance the ham.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Crusader For This Useful Post:

Shane Ryan (08-09-2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Retiredat50 View Post
    Racist for preferring white meat? Not yet, but I am sure at some point they will get around to labeling that as racist as well.
    They already have.

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/t...hite_meat.html
    Last edited by Shane Ryan; 08-09-2018 at 11:14 PM.

Thanks
    From the link above:

"And then when you present your heritage bird, according to some comments I've read on foodie chat-room boards, you're liable to get comments like, "How come the white meat isn't more white?"

This is what I can't understand: Why does most of America want its turkey meat white? Why do people flock to the obscenely named Butterballs, which boast of overinflated breasts as unnatural as the silicone boobs of truck-stop strip joints or of the Kardashian sisters?

Why have we broken the chains of the whiteness that bound us to fatally tasteless white bread while still remaining imprisoned in the white-meat turkey ghetto?"
    Last edited by Shane Ryan; 08-09-2018 at 11:22 PM.

V.I.P. V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registeredTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 71.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Ryan View Post
    That guy is a total idiot and a snob.

"White meat turkey has no taste. Its slabs of dry, fibrous material are more like cardboard"

Ok, so he or his wife are terrible cooks, don't blame the turkey for that.

"Some of you may remember white bread. Not the white bread of crusty baguettes and the like, but the white bread of sliced, standardized loaves of cotton wool, the stuff people ate before everyone switched to baguettes and focaccia and brioche, which are, yes, often "white" but not "white bread" in the old-fashioned, mass-produced sense. I'm talking about Wonderbread bread."

And that packaged white bread still outsells the "baguettes and focaccia and brioche" by about 10 to 1. Just look at your grocery store shelves and see which has a larger stock, that tells you which sells more.

That guy really had to stretch to get to white meat being racist.

Of course, it is Slate, so he was probably ordered to do write an article that featured white racism, and since most everything else has already been done...

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Retiredat50 For This Useful Post:

Kris P Bacon (08-09-2018),Shane Ryan (08-09-2018)

Alumni & VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 66.0%

Thanks
    All I know is I would rather be at retired@50's place for that rib roast!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Kodiak For This Useful Post:

Retiredat50 (08-10-2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Retiredat50 View Post
    That guy is a total idiot and a snob.

"White meat turkey has no taste. Its slabs of dry, fibrous material are more like cardboard"

Ok, so he or his wife are terrible cooks, don't blame the turkey for that.

"Some of you may remember white bread. Not the white bread of crusty baguettes and the like, but the white bread of sliced, standardized loaves of cotton wool, the stuff people ate before everyone switched to baguettes and focaccia and brioche, which are, yes, often "white" but not "white bread" in the old-fashioned, mass-produced sense. I'm talking about Wonderbread bread."

And that packaged white bread still outsells the "baguettes and focaccia and brioche" by about 10 to 1. Just look at your grocery store shelves and see which has a larger stock, that tells you which sells more.

That guy really had to stretch to get to white meat being racist.

Of course, it is Slate, so he was probably ordered to do write an article that featured white racism, and since most everything else has already been done...
    I only read Slate because it is therein that you will find the ideas that the leftists will try to take mainstream in 5 years hence. You can get the same stuff on a typical college campus, but Slate is cheaper and more accessible.

HuffPo is about the same and often also the Atlantic, though I enjoy some Atlantic articles, especially the older pieces (20th century).
    Last edited by Shane Ryan; 08-09-2018 at 11:37 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Shane Ryan For This Useful Post:

Retiredat50 (08-10-2018)

Fossil nut V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialRecommendation Second ClassTagger First Class3 months registered
    Awards:
    King of PublishingActivity Award
    Overall activity: 99.9%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Ryan View Post
    Stupid progs can find "racism" in a box of Wheaties....free blackface nergo boy doll in every box!
    Yep, I'd wrap that in bacon!
    Report illegal aliens, call ICE @ 1-866-DHS-2ICE (347-2423)
    Battle flag of the 1st Florida Cavalry & 4th Florida Infantry
    Regiment (consolidated), captured near Murfreesboro,
    Tenn. on Dec 7 1864.

I propose the term "red henning" henceforth be used to refer to any stupid business decisions.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kris P Bacon For This Useful Post:

Retiredat50 (08-10-2018),Shane Ryan (08-09-2018)

Thread Information