User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: The Account of How Yamamoto, The Mastermind Behind Pearl Harbor, was Shot . . .

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassRecommendation Second ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 59.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    England and France could have balled up and ordered Hitler to get his troops out of the Rhineland. Hitler had moved in three divisions.

France had 100 divisions.

Forcing the German army back out of the Rhineland would have spelled the end of Hitler's career and avoided WWII altogether.

But, so long as Hitler was winning, against all the odds, Germany's military was more than happy to follow him.
    Freedom Takes "I Won't". - Eric Frank Russell

Trump has been President for 537 days and Ruth Bader Ginzberg hasn't had the decency to die. What's up with that?

LBJ was a Democrat. I wish more Democrats could be like him. He's dead now.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sled Dog For This Useful Post:

Stan Fan (08-10-2018)

VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points3 months registered
    Overall activity: 52.0%

Thanks
    Battleships sunk and damaged in harbor by carrier attack. Sound familiar? Think again!
    Journalism is about covering important stories. With a pillow, until they stop moving. - David Burge, Iowahawkblog

Think of the Press as Democratic Operatives with Bylines and it All Makes Sense - Glenn Reynolds, Instapundit blog

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Traddles For This Useful Post:

Rickity Plumber (08-10-2018)

Social50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassRecommendation Second ClassVeteran

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Ryan View Post
    The most prominent engagement of WWI involving the Brits that I think of is Dunkirk. A retreat that somehow has been spun into a masterful success by historians because the Brits managed to lose less than they otherwise would.
    WWII, of course.

Don't forget Operation Market Garden. Led by the military genius of Montgomery, it was, of course, a total disaster.

Trump has been President for 537 days and Ruth Bader Ginzberg hasn't had the decency to die. What's up with that?

Alumni Member Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Overall activity: 37.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sled Dog View Post
    England and France could have balled up and ordered Hitler to get his troops out of the Rhineland. Hitler had moved in three divisions.

France had 100 divisions.

Forcing the German army back out of the Rhineland would have spelled the end of Hitler's career and avoided WWII altogether.

But, so long as Hitler was winning, against all the odds, Germany's military was more than happy to follow him.
    France's 100 Divisions turned out to be roughly equal to 1 German squad.
    #BlackLIESMatter---Martin Luther King Jr. was a REPUBLICAN!

The Democratic Party. The party of the STUPIDS, for the STUPIDS, by the STUPIDS.

جعل أمريكا كبيره مره أخرى
    I VOTED FOR THE PRESIDENT!

Political Correctness is HATE SPEECH!

THE GREATEST DANGER TO THE USA IS THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan40 View Post

If you were counting testicles.

But the reality is that France did have the power to enforce the treaty provisions against German militarization of the Rhineland and it's failure, no, its refusal to do so caused the deaths of fifty million people.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sled Dog For This Useful Post:

Stan Fan (08-11-2018)

Senior Member Forum Donor Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class1 year registeredCreated Blog entry
    Overall activity: 14.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan40 View Post
    With Germany carving up the spoils of Poland and rounding up the remains of the Warsaw Jewish ghetto, their General Staff were preparing for the attack against the Western democracies who allowed Hitler to conquer Poland. France and the British Expeditionary Force (BEF), sat behind their fortresses and made no move for six full months (known in history as the "phony war") to prepare for the coming attack.

Hitler fully understood the unwillingness of the French to act because of the disastrous losses in World War I. Of his enemies he understood the French best, and also had an almost feminine intuition about America, trying to ensure that if necessary to face us, he faced us alone without allies. The French believed the defense held the advantage over the offense, and that WAS true in World War I. But modern mechanized warfare such as Germany developed, in rolling artillery guns, tanks and the Luftwaffe, which was designed to protect and clear the way for ground troops, not particularly engage in aerial combat, had changed that equation, and the French were not willing to acknowledge it. I am not aware the French even had an air force in World War II. Hitler also had the deadly U-Boat service, one he should have put more faith into than his air force, they did more damage.

Throughout the war, Hitler always called for action, and his General Staff always cautioned for delay. It was a battle of wills, which would ultimately result late in the war, of an assassination plot launched against Hitler. The General Staff stalled on attacking Poland and particularly stalled for the attack against the West. Guderian gave the German ground forces the method to counter the French with a direct attack through the rugged Ardennes Forest against them, instead of the more conventional wide sweep around the flank. That move conquered The Netherlands and Belgium and split the French army off from the BEF, which abandoned all their equipment but saved their soldiers at Dunkirk. Of course, France fell in less than six weeks, and Churchill refused to send the RAF's 25 air divisions to disrupt the mechanized German advance. So, in addition to being surprised by Germany's attack, when they had half a year to go on the offensive, and a good chance to win the war, the BEF and France stalled, abandoned Poland, and England abandoned France. Paris was declared an "open city" and not to be defended, and the Nazi's marched in without firing a shot and held the city for almost six years.

Taking the capital city of your enemy is a major military blow against them. Hitler would learn that lesson later in the war when his troops bogged down in the snow with the walls of the Kremlin of Moscow in sight, and no government in residence, Stalin, and all the important political leaders had fled. America would learn the same lesson when we stupidly let the Russians take Berlin, halting Patton, then traded the province of Thuringia to the Russians in exchange for a one quarter control of the city of Berlin, 175 miles behind Russian lines, and the Cold War was launched with the Berlin Airlift and the Berlin Wall. Nothing would have happened had America and England continued moving into Germany and on Berlin with the Russians. We would have controlled a much larger area then we ended up with, Stalin was no fool, he wouldn't have allowed Soviet troops to turn and attack American troops. They would have finished Germany and sorting out who controlled what later. If history serves, the German's High Command surrendered to the American's, I don't know if any Russian was there when that happened. Giving England and France half of Berlin was unnecessary, neither had performed well enough in the war, and Britain especially was guilty of abandoning alliances, attempting to keep the British Empire intact, impossible at the end of the war, although Churchill's goal was always that first. England was the junior partner in the alliance against Germany, only the Nazi's, Soviets, Japanese and American's counted for anything by 1945 on the battlefield.

The hesitation of the French, and particularly the English, in waging war, during World War II, on their own, is why I posted they were poor militarily, their performance could have prevented the war early on, but the political will wasn't there. Fifty million people paid with their lives for the two Western democracies hesitation on that matter. You don't go to war, then refuse to fight, as England and France did in 1939-40 when the Nazi's were vulnerable. Without American Lend Lease, England never would have recovered to even put an army on the field and the Russian Army was put on wheels by Lend Lease, while they ate American food rations throughout most of the war......... - Stan -
    Last edited by Stan Fan; 08-11-2018 at 11:37 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Stan Fan For This Useful Post:

Sled Dog (08-11-2018)

Thread Information