User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Liquid water lake found on Mars

V.I.P. V.I.P Achievements:
    Created Album pictures50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 12.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DLLS View Post
    Thanks for not ripping me a new one for typing "astrologist" instead of "astronomer" I realized my error as I was reliving the day's events prior to drifting off to sleep last night.

Anybody who acts like they know what they are talking about on this thread is an Ass-trophysicist...

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Overall activity: 45.0%

Thanks
    Let's all get together and take a road trip to go swimming!

All joking aside, I am betting that there is actually a lot of water bound up in permafrost on and under the Martian surface.

Maybe, we find actual 'life,' although, I am starting to think that Europa may be the best possibility for extraterrestrial life in our Solar System. Maybe Titan, but, Titanian life would be VASTLY different than carbon-based life forms....
    Al Swearengen: What's your partner so mad about all the time?
    Sol Star: He's not mad.
    Al Swearengen: He's got a mean way of being happy.

V.I.P. Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Crunch View Post
    Scientists have uncovered a "a stable body of liquid water" on Mars, in what some are calling a "game changer" in the search for alien life.
    What is believed to be liquid water is sitting below Mars' southern polar ice cap and is described as a "well-defined, 20-kilometer-wide zone." 20 kilometers is roughly 12.5 miles.
    The findings, which are published in the journal Science, were made possibly by Mars Advanced Radar for Subsurface and Ionosphere Sounding (MARSIS), an instrument that resides on the Mars Express spacecraft. MARSIS surveyed Mars' Planum Australe region between May 2012 and December 2015 and utilized radar pulses, sending them through the surface and the polar ice caps, ultimately measuring how the radio waves came back.

The pulses that came back created the aforementioned "well-defined, 20-kilometer-wide zone" and found that the radar reflected the brightness of the liquid water. The study's abstract notes that it is surrounded by "much less reflective areas," a sign that it is indeed water.
    The team that wrote the study, including lead author Professor Roberto Orosei, have ruled out any other causes for the brightness.
    Speaking with the BBC, Orosei said it probably isn't "a very large lake," but added that this is a body of water and not runoff from a glacier or something else.
    "This really qualifies this as a body of water. A lake, not some kind of meltwater filling some space between rock and ice, as happens in certain glaciers on Earth," Orosei told the British media giant.
    Following news of the findings, social media was understandably enthused, with some wondering what it might mean for the search for extraterrestrial life.

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2018/...ed-planet.html

Seems to me they are contradicting themselves. So did they find it, or are they just guessing, again. Will they be sending someone to actually confirm the guess they have made in the near future, or should we just take their word for it.

Social50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassRecommendation Second ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 68.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Swedgin View Post
    Let's all get together and take a road trip to go swimming!

All joking aside, I am betting that there is actually a lot of water bound up in permafrost on and under the Martian surface.

Maybe, we find actual 'life,' although, I am starting to think that Europa may be the best possibility for extraterrestrial life in our Solar System. Maybe Titan, but, Titanian life would be VASTLY different than carbon-based life forms....

?

Given that Titan's atmosphere is nitrogen and a methane-based smog...why wouldn't any titanian life not be carbon based?
    Freedom Takes "I Won't". - Eric Frank Russell

Trump has been President for 537 days and Ruth Bader Ginzberg hasn't had the decency to die. What's up with that?

LBJ was a Democrat. I wish more Democrats could be like him. He's dead now.

Social50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassRecommendation Second ClassVeteran

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jehoshaphat View Post
    Seems to me they are contradicting themselves. So did they find it, or are they just guessing, again. Will they be sending someone to actually confirm the guess they have made in the near future, or should we just take their word for it.

What "guess"?

Be specific and explain how well you understand how the instrumentation works.

Trump has been President for 537 days and Ruth Bader Ginzberg hasn't had the decency to die. What's up with that?

V.I.P. Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sled Dog View Post
    What "guess"?

Be specific and explain how well you understand how the instrumentation works.
    Based on the article quoted from it would seem, it would appear they so called experts don't know how well they trust the instruments. Just like their statements along the line of, in tens years we will have prof of such and such. In this case they question the findings, but they try to write the article as a observed fact, which it clearly isn't. Until the time they can verify anything, all they are doing is stating facts which they have no way of proving one way or another if their Theory/Guess was accurate.

My problem is not about if they did or didn't find water on Mars. My problem is the way they attempt to make the people think they have done something, which they cannot prove.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Based on the article quoted from it would seem, it would appear they so called experts don't know how well they trust the instruments. Just like their statements along the line of, in tens years we will have prof of such and such. In this case they question the findings, but they try to write the article as a observed fact, which it clearly isn't. Until the time they can verify anything, all they are doing is stating facts which they have no way of proving one way or another if their Theory/Guess was accurate.

My problem is not about if they did or didn't find water on Mars. My problem is the way they attempt to make the people think they have done something, which they cannot prove.
    Okay then.

Answered that question.

You don't know how the instruments work.

Banned Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class31 days registeredSocial
    Overall activity: 13.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Crunch View Post
    Says the highest clouds in the atmosphere wouldn't reach the top of Everest? Then how does all that snow get there?

V.I.P. Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sled Dog View Post
    Okay then.

Answered that question.

You don't know how the instruments work.
    Just waiting for the response from the experts that may or may not know how the instruments work. Based on the article they don't seem to know either. If they did know for sure, maybe they would have been able to explain it better than that article. I am not agreeing with, or disagreeing about the possibility they found something, I don't know, and really don't care.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Just waiting for the response from the experts that may or may not know how the instruments work. Based on the article they don't seem to know either. If they did know for sure, maybe they would have been able to explain it better than that article. I am not agreeing with, or disagreeing about the possibility they found something, I don't know, and really don't care.
    You've already established you don't have a clue.

It's unnecessary to do it again.

Thread Information