User Tag List

Thread: UK road signs detect drivers using cellphones

User of Straws V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialTagger First ClassCreated Album picturesVeteranCreated Blog entry
    Overall activity: 99.5%

Thanks
    Blog Entries

UK road signs detect drivers using cellphones

Using your phone while driving in the UK? Expect a warning from a smart road sign, at least if you're in Norfolk. The county is introducing road signs that use scanners to electronically detect the radio signals transmitted when mobile phones are connected to a call—and then flash a symbol (on a sign further down the road) showing a cellphone with a line through it to the offending driver to remind him or her such behavior is a no-no.
    The scanners differentiate between radio signals from cellphones and Bluetooth signals, so drivers using a hands-free Bluetooth connection to talk on their phones won't get a warning, the Telegraph reports.
    But some phone users may get through, as the scanners won't pick up data connections from drivers using internet service on their phones. Though the signs won't record any footage, meaning no fines will be issued based on the data they collect, the data will be shared with police to arrange possible crackdowns in the future in the areas where cellphone use is most prevalent.

And a road safety spokesperson tells the BBC the signs may be enough to at least make drivers "think twice" before using their phone while driving.
    New Zealand, Argentina, and Slovenia are considering similar technology. (Time for police to have "textalyzer" powers?)
    This article originally appeared on Newser: Road Signs Will Warn Drivers Who Are Using Cellphones

These road signs detect drivers using cellphones | Fox News

Supposedly no tickets will be issued for now, but I can see that changing if some government official sees a potential to collect money all in the name of safety.

I am mixed on this sort of technology. While I am sick and tired of people texting and driving, I also don't like 'Big Brother' watching us.It is too bad that so many people are too stupid or just don't care about how they drive, which means that government interference is inevitable.

Last edited by Crunch; 07-11-2018 at 11:38 AM.

Senior Member Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassRecommendation Second ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 3.0%

Thanks
    Geez. I used to work in Norfolk. There are cameras everywhere.

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 34.0%

Thanks
    I don't like the BB paranoia either but truth be known, there is few places anyone can go anymore to where they are not on someone's viewing screen, unless its the restroom. And I am not so sure they are 100 % video recording free. People with smart phone video recorders are filming us daily somewhere, and we probably never see them doing it. . ....

My state is having a huge increase in traffic fatalities and damaged vehicles just over the passed two years. Totally unexplainable reasons for the accidents. A driver on a two lane straight stretch of road drops a tire off the shoulder , then over corrects and then dies instantly as a oak tree doesn't fall over easily.

Same scenario, but one driver on a two lane just hits the oncoming driver head on. Over and over in my state now, these total senseless accidents are happening. We have "no texting while driving" laws here, but the LEO cannot enforce them really, because they damn near have to video the driver texting and if try to do so, the driver lays down their phone instantly. Plus, the LEO is putting themselves in danger trying to watch as they drive, another driver talking on their phone. So the law here is moot.

So between the seasoned texting drivers and the young, newly licensed drivers texting and crashing, I look for our auto insurance policy rates to really start climbing upwards. As they are paying out HUGE amounts now for punitive damage suits and vehicles repairs. For accidents that did NOT have to happen. So hell yes, bring on the BBC texting monitors . Fine by me and the sooner, the better. JMO

Thread Information