User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Andersonville

Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Overall activity: 15.0%

Thanks
    Anyone familiar with Andersonville have heard about the "Raiders". They were a group of prisoners that stole from other prisoners sometimes inflicting injury and death on other prisoners. It got so bad that the Confederate Commandant allowed the other prisoners to try the Raiders for crimes. The judge, lawyers and witnesses were all other prisoners. A jury was picked from new prisoners who had no experience with the Raiders. Six were convicted and sentenced to hang. The sentences were approved by Confederate officials. Lumber was provided for the prisoners to build a gallows. They were hung and buried in dishonor separately from other prisoners who died in Andersonville.

2018-06-22 07.39.38.jpg2018-06-22 07.41.36.jpg
    Last edited by bdtex; 07-10-2018 at 10:05 PM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bdtex For This Useful Post:

2cent (Yesterday),Dave37 (07-11-2018),Kris P Bacon (07-10-2018),Rickity Plumber (07-11-2018)

Fossil nut V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialRecommendation Second ClassTagger First Class3 months registered
    Awards:
    Activity AwardKing of Publishing
    Overall activity: 99.9%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bdtex View Post
    Anyone familiar with Andersonville have heard about the "Raiders". They were a group of prisoners that stole from other prisoners sometimes inflicting injury and death on other prisoners. It got so bad that the Confederate Commandant allowed the other prisoners to try the Raiders for crimes. The judge, lawyers and witnesses were all other prisoners. A jury was picked from new prisoners who had no experience with the Raiders. Six were convicted and sentenced to hang. The sentences were approved by Confederate officials. Lumber was provided for the prisoners to build a gallows. They were hung and buried in dishonor separately from other prisoners who died in Andersonville.

2018-06-22 07.39.38.jpg2018-06-22 07.41.36.jpg
    Serves them right. Great way of Justice. What do you think about the confederate constitution? I am no expert but I did like that the President was to serve one 6 year term. IMO all elected positions should be one term. No more "more flexible after the election"...etc. Just do your job we the people elected you for. Across the board, bi partisanly.
    Last edited by Kris P Bacon; 07-10-2018 at 10:10 PM.
    Yep, I'd wrap that in bacon!
    Report illegal aliens, call ICE @ 1-866-DHS-2ICE (347-2423)
    Battle flag of the 1st Florida Cavalry & 4th Florida Infantry
    Regiment (consolidated), captured near Murfreesboro,
    Tenn. on Dec 7 1864.

I propose the term "red henning" henceforth be used to refer to any stupid business decisions.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Kris P Bacon For This Useful Post:

Rickity Plumber (07-11-2018)

Member Achievements:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris P Bacon View Post
    Serves them right. Great way of Justice. What do you think about the confederate constitution? I am no expert but I did like that the President was to serve one 6 year term. IMO all elected positions should be one term. No more "more flexible after the election"...etc. Just do your job we the people elected you for. Across the board, bi partisanly.
    I haven't really studied the CSA or state governments a lot. I am primarily interested in the military history.

50000 Experience PointsSocialRecommendation Second ClassTagger First Class3 months registered
    Awards:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bdtex View Post
    I haven't really studied the CSA or state governments a lot. I am primarily interested in the military history.
    My friend owned a used book store. I found a book all about it. I briefly browsed it. He recently sold it (the business) and 50,000 books were either donated or sold or tossed. Wish I would of kept it. Though I did get a few good books, one on the confederate history about 400 pages. It has a few pages about Capt Dickinson my relative served under.
    Tenn. on Dec 7 1864.

I propose the term "red henning" henceforth be used to refer to any stupid business decisions.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kris P Bacon For This Useful Post:

bdtex (07-10-2018)

Alumni Member Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Overall activity: 44.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Felix Birdbiter View Post
    It wasn't really a civil war at all since the South was not trying to take over the country but to split from it. Civil War is not a correct name for the conflict. It was really a War of Southern Secession.
    Shall we pick fly shit out of the pepper in the coal bin at midnight?
    #BlackLIESMatter---Martin Luther King Jr. was a REPUBLICAN!

The Democratic Party. The party of the STUPIDS, for the STUPIDS, by the STUPIDS.

جعل أمريكا كبيره مره أخرى
    I VOTED FOR THE PRESIDENT!

Political Correctness is HATE SPEECH!

THE GREATEST DANGER TO THE USA IS THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY!

Awards:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan40 View Post
    Most historians call it, "the war between the states".
    Tenn. on Dec 7 1864.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Kris P Bacon For This Useful Post:

2cent (Yesterday)

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 46.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan40 View Post
    Not sure of what you mean but there is a difference between a "civil war" in which one faction wants to take over the government and the country and a war of secession in which one area wishes to break off and become another country, more closely aligned with its values. The states believed they had the right to do that. Bear in mind that as early as the 1820's New England had flirted with the idea of seceding from the union and when the first shots were fired on Fort Sumter the nation was only about 80 years old. To put that in perspective Pearl Harbor was 77 years ago. I am not going to speculate if splitting would have been a good idea or not. I will only say the Southern states merely wanted to go their own way, which they believed they had a right to do.
    "We Are Kate Steinle Now"

Calypso Jones

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Felix Birdbiter For This Useful Post:

2cent (Yesterday),patrickt (07-11-2018)

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteranRecommendation Second ClassTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 32.0%

Oaxaca, Mexico, for almost twenty years. Born and raised in Memphis, TN, and worked in Colorado.
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Felix Birdbiter View Post
    Well, I realized you can't be too opposed to Southerners since you are using the Honorable Mr. Davis as your Avatar. I visited his home before it was blown away by Harvey. It is a national disgrace they are not planning on rebuilding it. Before you know it the entire Civil War will be reduced to a page in a supplemental history book about a few ultra rich racist who hated black people and wanted to kill them all.
    Not a national disgrace. The federal government still sees the states they invaded as enemies so they spend tax dollars promoting the invaders and let the southern sites fall down unless local people can raise the wherewithal to save them. Yankees whine that the southerners can't forget the war. The National Park Service only forgets half the war.

When I was in the service in the Aleutians I was chatting with some other guys about battlefields my family would visit on holidays. A yankee popped up and sadi, "I never been to a civil war battlefield."

"That's cause you don't have any. You invade the south. That's where most died." There is no more honored battlefield for the yankees than Gettysburg but then they don't have many others. It would be like looking for a WWII battlefield in California or New York.

And, Felix is right. I was no more a civil war than was our Revolutionary War.
    Last edited by patrickt; 07-11-2018 at 02:50 PM.

Member Achievements:

Thanks
    As the sign says,there are a number of massive monuments at Andersonville National Cemetery. I'm not sure that I took pictures of all of them. I only had about 2 hours to spend at Andersonville National Historic Site and I spent an hour of it in the Cemetery. If this had been one of my solo Civil War sightseeing trips,I'd have spent all day at Andersonville. My spouse was waiting for me back at our hotel though. She's not interested in CW historical sightseeing at all.

2018-06-22 07.21.35.jpg2018-06-22 07.21.46.jpg2018-06-22 07.29.17.jpg2018-06-22 07.44.25.jpg2018-06-22 07.52.50.jpg

15. The Following User Says Thank You to bdtex For This Useful Post:

Kris P Bacon (07-11-2018)

Member Achievements:

Thanks
    I really like this little series of pictures:

2018-06-22 07.55.39.jpg2018-06-22 07.55.06.jpg2018-06-22 07.55.18.jpg

Thread Information