User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Proposed 18,000acre phosphate mine in Desoto county

Fossil nut V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialRecommendation Second ClassTagger First Class3 months registered
    Awards:
    King of Publishing
    Overall activity: 99.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Felix Birdbiter View Post
    I first moved to Florida in 1958. Even then the state was a lot more pristine than now. We could ride on the beach from Mayport to St Augustine when we were stopped by the Matanzas Inlet. We could drive down A1A all the way to Cocoa Beach. Now, its all private property and your view of the ocean is blocked. About 30 years ago they decided to move A1A off the beach because of "fear of hurricanes". They moved the road about a half mile inland. Then a few years later they started building million dollar condos on the land between the Ocean and A1A that was supposed to susceptible to hurricane damage. I don't know what is worse, Disney or the developers. Even the community I am moving into was once a large horse farm.

One day the entire East Coast from Miami to Bangor Maine will be one solid megalopolis. It already is from Washington DC to Boston and from Miami Beach to Daytona Beach.
    My Dad is a farrier, among other things. We are from Ocala, I grew up holding horses while he trimmed and shoed them. I bet half those farms, no longer exist. Ocala was considered the thourobred capital outside of Kentucky. Don't know if that is still true?
    Yep, I'd wrap that in bacon!
    Report illegal aliens, call ICE @ 1-866-DHS-2ICE (347-2423)
    I propose the term "red henning" henceforth be used to refer to any stupid business decisions.

50000 Experience PointsSocialRecommendation Second ClassTagger First Class3 months registered
    Awards:
    King of Publishing

Thanks
    Phosphate: A Strategic Mineral

The United States is the world's leading producer of phosphate rock. Our nation's phosphate deposits have long been recognized as a valuable natural resource. The U.S. receives significant revenue from exporting the mineral overseas, mostly to China. The deposits found in the "Bone Valley" area of Central Florida are by far the richest in the entire country and account for 75 percent of the total production for the U.S. In addition, phosphate rock mined from Central Florida reserves accounts for 25 percent of the total world supply.The government is eager to make money from countries that need our phosphate - but at what cost? A report to Congress by the U.S. General Accounting Office titled: "Phosphates: A case Study of a Valuable, Depleting Mineral in America," points out that U.S. phosphate reserves are rapidly depleting and soon we will have exhausted them. The report suggests that the government should set limits on exporting phosphate to protect our nation's supply. However, every year the phosphate industry wins petitions for new mining permits after they have exhausted the resources at their current sites.The GAO report says that phosphate is an essential plant nutrient, for which there is no substitute. That means, it's a nutrient that is critical to the thriving U.S. agriculture industry. When our own reserves are depleted, we will be dependent on other countries like China and Morocco to provide phosphate to us. We hope they will be as generous, because without it, our food supply and the United States' position in the global economy will be seriously threatened. We are exporting a strategic and limited natural resource today at the risk of our future food supplies.A safe, dependable food supply is essential for the health of the nation's economy. Exporting phosphate today creates a risk for tomorrow.
    I propose the term "red henning" henceforth be used to refer to any stupid business decisions.

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 52.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris P Bacon View Post
    My Dad is a farrier, among other things. We are from Ocala, I grew up holding horses while he trimmed and shoed them. I bet half those farms, no longer exist. Ocala was considered the thourobred capital outside of Kentucky. Don't know if that is still true?

There are still many horse farms but the land is becoming worth more to developers than as horse farms. The Ocala paper still showcases horses and even had a big article on Justify and his ties to Ocala (his trailer once passed down I-75 on its way to Tampa!!). I think now its more a place where us oldsters go to die.
    "We Are Kate Steinle Now"

Calypso Jones

Awards:
    King of Publishing

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Felix Birdbiter View Post
    There are still many horse farms but the land is becoming worth more to developers than as horse farms. The Ocala paper still showcases horses and even had a big article on Justify and his ties to Ocala (his trailer once passed down I-75 on its way to Tampa!!). I think now its more a place where us oldsters go to die.
    GOD'S waiting room! LOL

Awards:
    King of Publishing

Thanks
    This would be a good study in how monopolies form. Around 1900 there were over 200 phosphate companies in Fl. Now there are only 2 main players, Cargill and Mosaic.

Awards:
    King of Publishing

Thanks
    I am shocked. County commissioners denied Mosaics request to rezone 14,000 acres of OUR Ag production lands so they could rape/strip mine it. Pleasently surprised. But I don't expect them to give up.

Commissioners in DeSoto County deny Mosaic's …

WWSB
    2 days ago · ARCADIA, FL (WWSB) - After two days and 11 hours of hearings, DeSoto County Commissioners voted 4 to 1, denying Mosaic's request to rezone 14,000 acres between State Road 72 and State Road 70 in Arcadia

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points31 days registeredTagger Second Class
    Overall activity: 28.0%

Thanks
    When I lived in Arizona I never went to see any of the Phelps Dodge copper strip mines but I did see one featured in an old early 1960s era movie. Don't see how they could ever fill that up to reclaim it to the condition it was prior to their digging.
    Regarding my avatar: I am the one on your left as you view it

8. The Following User Says Thank You to DLLS For This Useful Post:

Kris P Bacon (07-27-2018)

Awards:
    King of Publishing

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DLLS View Post
    When I lived in Arizona I never went to see any of the Phelps Dodge copper strip mines but I did see one featured in an old early 1960s era movie. Don't see how they could ever fill that up to reclaim it to the condition it was prior to their digging.
    They make something like up to a million an acre. They spend a whopping 6 grand an acre on reclamation efforts.

Thread Information