User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nine Year Old Girl in Rehab for Fortnite Addiction

V.I.P. V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassVeteranCreated Blog entry
    Overall activity: 14.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thing 1 View Post
    I still don't know what it is, except that it is some game.
    It's an "X Box" game, but I'm long past being familiar with the video game consoles. What boggled me was this statement; "
    The family also started noticing regular payments of £50 ($67) per month on their credit card, which the daughter said could be from some extras she’d paid for on Fortnite."

They were giving a 9 year old free access to their credit card and FINALLY noticed $67. a month charges!!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to potlatch For This Useful Post:

2cent (06-16-2018),Kodiak (06-10-2018),Thing 1 (06-10-2018)

Alumni & VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 26.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by potlatch View Post
    It's an "X Box" game, but I'm long past being familiar with the video game consoles. What boggled me was this statement; "
    The family also started noticing regular payments of £50 ($67) per month on their credit card, which the daughter said could be from some extras she’d paid for on Fortnite."

They were giving a 9 year old free access to their credit card and FINALLY noticed $67. a month charges!!
    Ah, I assumed it was a game they play on their phone.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Kodiak For This Useful Post:

potlatch (06-10-2018)

50000 Experience PointsSocialCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassVeteranCreated Blog entry

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
    Ah, I assumed it was a game they play on their phone.
    I have a son in law who likes to play 'Candy Crush' on his phone.

50000 Experience Points1 year registeredTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 44.0%

Thanks
    Good question.... Technology hasn't always been a good thing it seems, especially when parents don't monitor their kids.
    The video game is the babysitter, the tv monitor is who monitors the kid. My sister did the same thing we argued endlessly about it, her son would go through symptoms of withdrawl if he was denied his games, it's a dopamine thing, he's actually decently functioning today much more than I would have anticipated, he was labeled whatever malfunction could come along to warrant more welfare money, I think it is auspergers that he never wastes an opportunity to use as a crutch, he wants to be a video game programmer but cant because he never went to school to get the degree, he was too busy playing video games.
    Last edited by Frankenvoter; 06-10-2018 at 04:16 PM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frankenvoter For This Useful Post:

Big Dummy (06-10-2018),potlatch (06-10-2018)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankenvoter View Post
    The video game is the babysitter, the tv monitor is who monitors the kid. My sister did the same thing we argued endlessly about it, her son would go through symptoms of withdrawl if he was denied his games, it's a dopamine thing, he's actually decently functioning today much more than I would have anticipated, he was labeled whatever malfunction could come along to warrant more welfare money, I think it is auspergers that he never wastes an opportunity to use as a crutch, he wants to be a video game programmer but cant because he never went to school to get the degree, he was too busy playing video games.
    I agree that parents do use video games, TV, etc as babysitters, but it is their job to monitor (observe, watch, keep an eye on, oversee) what their kids are doing. Parents are handing their cellphones to two year olds to keep them occupied now days!

It's all the parents fault. They should put time limits on a child's 'game time or TV time', and they should get their kids into sports or outdoor activities. Parents are lazy anymore. JMHO

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to potlatch For This Useful Post:

Frankenvoter (06-10-2018),Jen (06-17-2018)

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranTagger Second ClassCreated Blog entry
    Overall activity: 63.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries

That blew my mind, too! "Started noticing?[/i]" Good grief a gravy train, just how long was this lil' chickie-poo racking up fees on the credit card, before they freaking got around to noticing near $70 a month on their bill? Me? Hopefully, most of you are as odd as I am, and would've noticed it the FIRST time it showed up.

HIT her father? And they blew it off as 'hormones?' Whew. I may be overstating things here, but I do believe my kid's butt would be bloody raw, and would be lucky to have a mattress left on the floor of their bedroom to play with.

Now, I will admit that I, too, went through a stage where I'd sneak a flashlight under the blanket to read a mystery book, probably at that same age. I bet my kids did the same thing.
    However, those little stages were just that; short-lived. Certainly not to the point where I, or my kids, were falling asleep in class.
    Funny thing about parents who are paying attention. Their kids seems to know it intuitively. Besides, it wasn't hard to outgrow losing sleep.

I 'get' the addiction, though, and I don't even play video games. The games are built to BE addictive. You work to get to one level, then ya gotta beat the next, then the next, and so on.

I hate the things. The only answer is just as potlatch says; parental control. What irritates me, is that it's going to be the very parents who are irresponsible are going to the very ones to demand government do it for them.
    Urrr.
    I've only had two beers in dog years.

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead.
    It is difficult only for the others.
    It is the same when you are stupid.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 2cent For This Useful Post:

potlatch (06-18-2018)

Overall activity: 50.0%

Thanks
    What happened to that game were they were running into things chasing imaginary characters? I think that was about a year ago. This technology is completely out of hand, and the puppet masters are making millions if not billions with it.
    That was Pokemon Go. The game led them to real world locations to "capture" creatures in the game. No real gamer would play crap like that.

Overall activity: 50.0%

Thanks
    What happened to that game were they were running into things chasing imaginary characters? I think that was about a year ago. This technology is completely out of hand, and the puppet masters are making millions if not billions with it.
    Video games are a bigger entertainment medium than any other. They make more money than movies or music. The first day Grand Theft Auto V was released, it sold over 800 million dollars worth of product.

You have people on Youtube and Twitch making more money playing video games than doctors and lawyers make. Hell, the small time streamers are making a good living off of playing video games. It is not abnormal for somewhat popular streamers on Twitch to be making 15-20k per month. The big streamers are making a lot more, especially when you add in their endorsements.

The new generation, I think it is Gen Z, are growing up being fans of video game players instead of sports players. 20 years from now, video games will be broadcast the same as the NFL or NBA, and most likely will be a lot more popular than the sports leagues.

This is Fortnite:

I don't care for it, but then I do not like Battle Royale games, or the cartoony graphics. The funny thing is that Fortnite was originally a regular multiplayer video game and they released this free Battle Royale version, based on the main game to help sell the main game. Turns out this free version was the jackpot and is now probably the most played game in the world, surpassing League of Legends.

And they are making bank from it, serious money.
    Last edited by Retiredat50; 06-17-2018 at 12:22 AM.

Alumni Member & VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassRecommendation First ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 31.0%

Thanks
    How did we get here?

Talk about a descent into hell.........technology is taking our children there.

Alumni Member & VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassRecommendation First ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 31.0%

Thanks

I would notice something like that instantly.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jen For This Useful Post:

2cent (06-17-2018),potlatch (06-18-2018)

Thread Information