User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: D=Day . . .

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P
    Overall activity: 46.0%

Thanks
    Just a few days after D-Day, the USN reached across 2,500 miles of the Pacific and dropped a three-division amphibious invasion on Saipan, while fighting an air/naval battle that polished off the IJN.

Tough fighting both places, but both battles ended in victory.

After Saipan, the Japanese found out (like the Germans earlier) the real meaning of "strategic bombardment."
    Last edited by Taxcutter; 06-12-2018 at 08:50 AM.

Overall activity: 60.0%

Thanks
    My only hindsight snivel re D-Day is they could have bombed the crap out of the defenses and saved a lot of lives. The concern about 'tearing up the beaches with holes' was mis-guided and wrongheaded, imo.

Overall activity: 46.0%

Thanks
    Those bunkers on Omaha beach were resistant to 500 lb GP bombs and 5 inch gunfire. Even a direct hit with a 6" or 8" naval gun wouldn't collapse them.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Taxcutter For This Useful Post:

sargentodiaz (06-14-2018)

Overall activity: 13.0%

Thanks
    If they had subjected the Normandy area and beaches to an abnormal amount of bombing, it could have also clued the Germans in about the location. Maybe they could have let the battleships have whack at them instead of concentrating on inland targets.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TPP View Post
    If they had subjected the Normandy area and beaches to an abnormal amount of bombing, it could have also clued the Germans in about the location. Maybe they could have let the battleships have whack at them instead of concentrating on inland targets.
    They could have dropped a lot of ordnance on them in a few hours right before, and given the size of our bomber force they could also have dropped a lot elsewhere at the same time. There was a lot of targets that weren't in big ass bunkers, and I'm sure the troops would not have complained if some shell holes had been around to dive into for cover. They landed a lot of dozers and other engineering vehicles on the beaches, digging through would have been easy enough, and besides, not all beaches were as deadly or heavily defended as the worst ones.

Overall activity: 30.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Coulda, shoulda, woulda. A whole lot of hindsight without a great deal of understanding of military strategy.

The most important phase of DDay was logistics. Getting the troops ashore and then supplying them.

With all the equipment and technology in the world, none of it is useful without the Grunt on the ground.
    Saint Junipero Serra's Legacy - the untold stories of California
    A Soldier's Stories - rambling and musing about military life.

I proudly voted for President Trump!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sargentodiaz View Post
    Coulda, shoulda, woulda. A whole lot of hindsight without a great deal of understanding of military strategy.

The most important phase of DDay was logistics. Getting the troops ashore and then supplying them.

With all the equipment and technology in the world, none of it is useful without the Grunt on the ground.
    Oh, I understand quit a bit of it. Too bad not all military officers do, and even those who do make mistakes all the time. People who learn from them get better, those who don't get a lot of people killed for no good reason.

VIP V.I.P
    Overall activity: 47.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Taxcutter View Post
    Just a few days after D-Day, the USN reached across 2,500 miles of the Pacific and dropped a three-division amphibious invasion on Saipan, while fighting an air/naval battle that polished off the IJN.

Tough fighting both places, but both battles ended in victory.

After Saipan, the Japanese found out (like the Germans earlier) the real meaning of "strategic bombardment."
    At some point over the battle, from a couple of days before the invasion onward some 15 USN BBs poured 14" and 16" shells into targets on the island, pretty much every BB in commission except for the three at Normandy and USS New York. Plus 8" CAs, 6" CLs, and 5" DDs. Unlike islands that had been invaded before, Saipan had been a Japanese possession since 1918 and occupied by Japan for nearly 4 years before that. So it had significant military emplacements.
    Journalism is about covering important stories. With a pillow, until they stop moving. - David Burge, Iowahawkblog

Think of the Press as Democratic Operatives with Bylines and it All Makes Sense - Glenn Reynolds, Instapundit blog

Thread Information