User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Many Canadian College Graduates Can't Find Jobs

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class1 year registered
    Overall activity: 14.0%

Thanks

Many Canadian College Graduates Can't Find Jobs

Looks like some serious employment problems in Canada, especially for the younger generation:

Probably from being flooded with immigration.

Canada has never really had the same level of opportunity as the U.S. so it probably does not take as much to throw the system into trouble. Canada also has much more lax immigration policies than the U.S. does, but that may be in part because Canada is not as attractive as a destination country.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to kazenatsu For This Useful Post:

Retiredat50 (05-13-2018)

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registeredTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 44.0%

Thanks
    I think it is too funny! Trudeau initially, as a jab against Trump, said that Canada would take any illegals that America turned away. Then when they started flocking to Canada, he said America needs to enforce their immigration laws, LOL. So very funny!

So, he said for them to come to Canada if America does not want them, in an attempt to put Trump in a bad light, then they did. Now he is crying in whining. I say Canada should build a wall.

Thanks
    They're flying into Canada now just to try to sneak into the U.S. border

Guess Canada isn't that great of a place anymore.
    Last edited by kazenatsu; 05-13-2018 at 02:43 AM.

V.I.P V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registeredSocial
    Overall activity: 28.0%

Thanks
    Many Canadian College Graduates Can't Find Jobs

My question would be: Before you started college did you check the job market? Were there lots of openings in the area that your degree would be in?

Generally the job market in a specific area won't dry up within 4 years. So if there are no jobs now, were there jobs when you picked the degree to aim for? I see & hear about several mistakes that college kids make. 1. They aim & achieve a degree in something that they will never be able to make a living doing. 2. They don't think about the future & actually turning that degree into money. 3. They live to high & party to much. They graduate with massive loan debt.

My guess is that Canadian students are very much like US students. Also I would guess that their parents are similar & either didn't give advise or gave bad advise.

The simple truth is that many degrees are worthless. The kids would be a lot better off learning to drive a front loader or becoming a plumber. But those aren't "clean" jobs so few look at them. Oh well...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Old Tex For This Useful Post:

Beachcomber (05-13-2018)

50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteran
    Overall activity: 21.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Seems to me a lot of "non-college" type jobs get a lot of "minority" preference, but then I'm in California. When my shade of skin becomes a minority though, it probably won't help in getting a job.

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassRecommendation Second ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 66.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Freedom Takes "I Won't". - Eric Frank Russell

Trump has been President for 537 days and Ruth Bader Ginzberg hasn't had the decency to die. What's up with that?

LBJ was a Democrat. I wish more Democrats could be like him. He's dead now.

V.I.P V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registeredSocial
    Overall activity: 28.0%

Thanks
    I was thinking about this topic just the other day. I wonder if there are any statistics compiled or kept on which professions that have a low job rate? We always hear about jobs that there are shortages in but nobody ever talks in anything but a general way about what degrees have a low hiring rate after graduation.

Of course based on my conservative views I feel that nobody wants to put those stats out there because then they might not be able to fill those classes in schools.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Hard science like math, chemistry and engineering are always in demand. Though bean counters and computer programs have relegated them to a lower necessity in industry, they still want somebody with actual knowledge.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Dave37 For This Useful Post:

Crusader (08-01-2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave37 View Post
    Hard science like math, chemistry and engineering are always in demand.
    Not true. There's a lot of myth to that. About half the STEM graduates are unable to work their way into a good career in the math/science field and are stuck in much lower paying positions. The MAJORITY of them end up having to switch into some other non-math, non-science related job.

Just a completely hypothetical scenario but if you placed a BAN on math/science graduates from ever working in any other job that wasn't math and science related, the un- and under-employment rate in the STEM field would be well over 60%.

In many cases they don't even prefer to hire native people anymore when they can hire some PhD from India willing to work for $45,000 (and a lot of these tech companies are located in high-cost areas where that isn't enough money to buy a home).

A lot of these math/science majors become very disillusioned after they graduate. It's not like there are good paying jobs waiting for all of them. Although on average, math/science majors still earn more than other majors.
    Last edited by kazenatsu; 05-21-2018 at 03:00 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to kazenatsu For This Useful Post:

Dave37 (05-21-2018)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kazenatsu View Post
    Not true. There's a lot of myth to that. About half the STEM graduates are unable to work their way into a good career in the math/science field and are stuck in much lower paying positions. The MAJORITY of them end up having to switch into some other non-math, non-science related job.

Just a completely hypothetical scenario but if you placed a BAN on math/science graduates from ever working in any other job that wasn't math and science related, the un- and under-employment rate in the STEM field would be well over 60%.

In many cases they don't even prefer to hire native people anymore when they can hire some PhD from India willing to work for $45,000 (and a lot of these tech companies are located in high-cost areas where that isn't enough money to buy a home).

A lot of these math/science majors become very disillusioned after they graduate. It's not like there are good paying jobs waiting for all of them. Although on average, math/science majors still earn more than other majors.
    I'd agree with most of that in particular employers don't want everyone to have a career, it cost them too much. Later you might not get hired cause your overqualified for the entry position but I don't know about overseas PHds. We had a lot of foreign PHds at our company and it did seem to be hard to find an American to fill the position. I don't know if the pay was unfair for Americans but they didn't seem to be applying. I still think hard science is a good bet even if not a guarantee. New industry, catching the wave? Maybe timing is everything. Or start your own technical business, big companies like to hire out. Personally if I had to do it over again, I'd make enough to buy some land, learn to live on it and put up a no trespassing sign but maybe I feel that way because I'm just old and cranky now.
    Last edited by Dave37; 05-21-2018 at 10:45 PM.

Thread Information