User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Art Bell

Games People Play V.I.P Achievements:
    OverdriveSocial50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassVeteranCreated Blog entry
    Overall activity: 99.8%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSchool View Post
    I remember the days of Art Bell Coast to Coast AM. Thought provoking, informational, entertaining, etc.

Sad news. Pretty sure he'll be missed.
    In his heyday, an interesting mix of the kook, and the conservative. I loved his monologues.

Since his departure, of course, they've gone hard-Left corporate. George Noory is a purveyor of PC Groupthink. I never even bothered to listen to an entire show...I can get that crap everywhere and I don't want it anywhere.

Fossil nut/Alumni/VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialRecommendation Second ClassTagger First Class3 months registered
    Awards:
    Activity AwardKing of Publishing
    Overall activity: 99.9%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
    In his heyday, an interesting mix of the kook, and the conservative. I loved his monologues.

Since his departure, of course, they've gone hard-Left corporate. George Noory is a purveyor of PC Groupthink. I never even bothered to listen to an entire show...I can get that crap everywhere and I don't want it anywhere.
    The show really started to suck, at that point.
    Yep, I'd wrap that in bacon! KEEP AMERICA GREAT, TRUMP 2020
    Report illegal aliens, call ICE @ 1-866-DHS-2ICE (347-2423)
    I propose the term "red henning" henceforth be used to refer to any stupid business decisions.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kris P Bacon For This Useful Post:

Dave37 (04-15-2018),QuaseMarco (04-15-2018)

Alumni & VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialTagger First ClassVeteranCreated Blog entry
    Overall activity: 16.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Calypso Jones View Post
    that's a shame. What killed him?
    Old age etc....... Very sad..... I used to listen to him before George Noory took over and they still have rebroadcasts of his shows from the 90's on Saturdays at midnight.

Quote Originally Posted by Kris P Bacon View Post
    The show really started to suck, at that point.
    Pretty much agree. George's show is not as good as Art's ...... Art was a master at what he did.
    Last edited by QuaseMarco; 04-15-2018 at 10:53 AM.

Build the wall. Build it high, build it deep and build it strong.
    QuaseMarco
    #MAGA #KAG #TRUMP2020

5. The Following User Says Thank You to QuaseMarco For This Useful Post:

Kris P Bacon (04-15-2018)

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteran
    Overall activity: 3.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    When he handed over to GN he was getting complaints that he was a psychological disturbance, to paraphrase, but came back "online" eventually. I'd guess GN is the more of a PC kind of guy for the corporations, but then any success seems to be bought out by corporations and then neutered.

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteranRecommendation Second ClassTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 14.0%

Oaxaca, Mexico, for over twenty years. Born and raised in Memphis, TN, and worked in Colorado.
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    In the late '80s I would listen to talk radio in the wee hours of the morning as I worked on patrol. I recall listening to Art Bell three or four times. I thought he was insane and his listeners were worse. I listened to Alan Berg, too, but then he was murdered.

My condolences to Mr. Bell's family and friends.
    Last edited by patrickt; 04-15-2018 at 04:10 PM.

OverdriveSocial50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassVeteranCreated Blog entry

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
    In the late '80s I would listen to talk radio in the wee hours of the morning as I worked on patrol. I recall listening to Art Bell three or four times. I thought he was insane and his listeners were worse. I listened to Alan Berg, too, but then he was murdered.

My condolences to Mr. Bell's family and friends.
    You had to listen to Bell's nightly opening monologue, to understand where he was coming from. He was far from insane - in fact IMHO he was quite clearheaded. What he did, was indulge the kinds of people who would be listening to all-night radio...the nuts, the people in crisis, the third-shift folks...some with responsible jobs and some who were just not-all-there.

And you had to understand how he got where he was. He was a conventional radio voice for much of his life, and like Limbaugh and others, felt liberated when the FCC retracted their Fairness Doctrine. He tried to do what Rush was doing, but lacking money for syndication, a satellite feed (something Limbaugh's partner brought in) or name recognition (New York City versus Pahrump, Nevada) Art couldn't pull it off. So he tried making his program, by this time an all-night one, more impromptu - no call screeners. He started letting the crazies ramble on and gave him an inspiration.

When I found him, late 1990s, he had his formula - give a twenty-minute opening and commentary, and then feed into what crazy ideas would be batting around. Those were two nearly-un-combinable aspects: A lot of his ideas, guests and topics, were plain nuts. Illogical and lacking fact. But he'd play along...play the shocked naif, as his guests or callers would put some mad assertion out there. He was well-known, well-parodied for his playacting being gobsmacked: "Ohhh...miiiii...GAWD," he'd drawl out, to where it became something he was known for. How long it would have gone on, we'll never know; because it was about then, as he was starting to get national notice, his personal life came apart. He suddenly retired; came right back, then organized an exit...fired the guy he hired to take his program over...worked again, with lots of time off...got George Noory in...returned weekends...quit weekends...let his syndicating network recast the show.

I guess he was less adept at focusing on something, than he was in setting up new projects or ideas.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JustPassinThru For This Useful Post:

Kris P Bacon (04-16-2018)

50000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class3 months registered
    Overall activity: 0%

Thanks
    RIP. Bell was a former military intelligence officer, and had a flair for the abnormal and encouraging weirdos to feel comfortable with him, and talk about their assorted beleifs. Very entertaining, until news radio got much better and his sort of programming lost popularity, though I understand Coast To Coast is still in business and going well, just not as great as it was under Bell. I was always fond of the story that he was killed by REptiliean Shapeshifters and replaced by one of them for the last few years he was on the air. Great stuff.
    Last edited by Oberon; 04-15-2018 at 07:54 PM.

Alumni & VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialTagger First ClassVeteranCreated Blog entry
    Overall activity: 16.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Art also had some great guests over the years.

Build the wall. Build it high, build it deep and build it strong.
    QuaseMarco
    #MAGA #KAG #TRUMP2020

50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteran
    Overall activity: 3.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    CNN wishes it had the large audience Art Bell could achieve.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave37 View Post
    CNN wishes it had the large audience Art Bell could achieve.
    Art had personality.

I wasn't a fanboi; he had a lot of unappetizing aspects to his life. He spent a lot of time in Thailand and the Phillipines, and wound up, twice, married to females far younger than he. And the death of his second wife...that should have been an APB. Women in their thirties don't just drop dead. If there's more and it's not prejudicial to Art, it should have been made available, as all death information is.

But...and given that he was an erratic, impulsive sort and a slimebucket...he had a strong personality that neither Mike Siegal nor George Noory had. Barbara Simpson, a sometimes weekend host, was a good writer over at WND; but I never heard her run the show.

But, Art's now gone, and if there's a God, he has to account. And if his weirdo schitt was at all true, maybe he'll trudge to the studio some night...

Thread Information