User Tag List

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: You Want Electric Road Vehicles?

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 21.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fly Paper View Post
    Diddly squat how large a country is, in America, drivers are limited to 11 cumulative hours driving in a 14-hour period, following a rest period of no less than 10 consecutive hours.

Taxcutter says:
    I take it you haven't seen the new double-sleeper truck bodies yet. They allow three-person crews to keep the load moving in spite of federal regs. This would work really well with catenary electric drive on coast-to-coast runs. Such a truck would never have to stop - even for fuel. They only need to stop long enough to change the butt in the seat.

Games People Play V.I.P Achievements:
    OverdriveSocial50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassVeteranCreated Blog entry
    Overall activity: 99.8%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Taxcutter View Post
    Taxcutter says:
    I take it you haven't seen the new double-sleeper truck bodies yet. They allow three-person crews to keep the load moving in spite of federal regs. This would work really well with catenary electric drive on coast-to-coast runs. Such a truck would never have to stop - even for fuel. They only need to stop long enough to change the butt in the seat.
    The health problems for remaining unable to move about, indefinitely...would be severe.

Even on the railroad, where the day is limited to 12 hours...over the years, twelve hours not being able to really stretch....locomotive engineers can change on a moving train, no problem; we'd trade off with conductors, often (illegal, but...) but over the years, you wind up sick and crippled. Like me. Fat, diabetic, metabolic issues, wasted muscles...back issues...circulation issues.

If that's what they have planned for truck drivers...they better plan on bringing in a LOT of Pakistanis to do it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JustPassinThru For This Useful Post:

Quark (04-16-2018)

Alumni Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialTagger First ClassCreated Blog entryVeteran
    Overall activity: 34.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I know lets just replace all human beings with robots with artificial intelligence. Now there's an idea.

Games People Play V.I.P Achievements:
    OverdriveSocial50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassVeteranCreated Blog entry
    Overall activity: 99.8%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Quark View Post
    I know lets just replace all human beings with robots with artificial intelligence. Now there's an idea.
    Sure.

Who's going to build the computers, and write the programs?

A side note: All this excitement (and the trail of maimed and dead bodies) over self-driving cars...a MUCH-SIMPLER set of programs, self-driving TRAINS, has never been fully made to work. And it really is much, much simpler. As with an autopilot on an aircraft, the set of choices are far simpler on a train in progress - yet except for some pilot programs in remote areas, they have not been made to work, yet.

A large part of that is, in my opinion, emotional. Self-driving autos are a LONG way from being foolproof to the point of being safe; but the gee-whiz crowd gets all EXCITED about it. Self-driving freight-trains...meh.

So, we're going to dispose of good sense along with our understanding that technological progress is incremental, and go with Elon Musk's silly fantasy. No matter how many people get hurt and killed as part of it.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JustPassinThru For This Useful Post:

JMWinPR (04-30-2018),Quark (04-16-2018)

Banned Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Overall activity: 63.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Taxcutter View Post
    Taxcutter says:
    Just stop after 11 hours. Just scrap double deckers. When technology increases, go back to double deckers. America managed before double deckers, I'm sure they will again until technology advances.

Alumni Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialTagger First ClassCreated Blog entryVeteran
    Overall activity: 34.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
    Sure.

Who's going to build the computers, and write the programs?

A side note: All this excitement (and the trail of maimed and dead bodies) over self-driving cars...a MUCH-SIMPLER set of programs, self-driving TRAINS, has never been fully made to work. And it really is much, much simpler. As with an autopilot on an aircraft, the set of choices are far simpler on a train in progress - yet except for some pilot programs in remote areas, they have not been made to work, yet.

A large part of that is, in my opinion, emotional. Self-driving autos are a LONG way from being foolproof to the point of being safe; but the gee-whiz crowd gets all EXCITED about it. Self-driving freight-trains...meh.

So, we're going to dispose of good sense along with our understanding that technological progress is incremental, and go with Elon Musk's silly fantasy. No matter how many people get hurt and killed as part of it.
    I was being sarcastic as I am with a good many posts. But you are right.

50000 Experience PointsVeteranTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 21.0%

Thanks
    Talking to some civil engineers this weekend.

A big obstacle to electric catenary drive for Interstates and railroads is the sheer number of overpasses and tunnels that will have to be raised.

A catenary will have to be at least twenty feet about the road or rail surface.

As an example of how long it would take to deal with all tho I submit the I-70 widening project for the forum's consideration. For ten years (after selling off the white elephant Indiana Toll road) INDOT has been beavering away at it. They have I-70 six-laned through Indianapolis proceeding west to Plainfield (State Road 267) and east to Knightstown (State route 109) but this weekend I saw they had the bridge at Fortville Pike down for lengthening. My point is that after ten years of gung-ho construction they are still monkeying with overpasses over one Interstate in one small state, what would a national program of raising overpasses and tunnels take?

Maybe Texas had the right idea. Buy up right-of way for an all-electric corridor for freight trains and trucks only. Have the electrified road and track jump over local roads instead of the other way around.

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class1 year registered
    Overall activity: 11.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Tex View Post
    Yes & we could mine COAL to make that electricity! It works for me but only if the project costs in the trillions of dollars. (wink).
    Yes, despite all the hype about electric cars, it doesn't make any sense to be converting to electric cars while any of the electricity being generated is coming from fossil fuels.
    It makes more sense to burn those petroleum products directly in an engine than use them to power an electric generator, from the standpoint of efficiency.
    Last edited by kazenatsu; 04-30-2018 at 06:25 PM.

Social50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassRecommendation Second ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 68.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    No, I do not want electric cars.

How's that?
    Freedom Takes "I Won't". - Eric Frank Russell

We the People DID NOT vote in a majority Rodent Congress, they stole it via election fraud.

1 out of 2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2

= 1/4,194,304
    = "Heads, Always Heads, Heads Every Time"
    = "Rodents Cheating"

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sled Dog For This Useful Post:

Quark (05-01-2018)

Social50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassRecommendation Second ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 68.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Tex View Post
    Why don't they just build more electric trains that can haul both people and cargo. All these systems may work for little countries but never cost effectively for large countries like the US.

Quark it's worth repeating. Trains work in Europe for even more reason, like the fact that the masses are taxes so much that they have to ride trains or bicycles. And as you said the distances are small compared to the U.S.. Then there's the fact that American's like cars. Nobody talks about it but I wonder if any of the subways that we have make money? And as far as developing them for between states to transport people, totally won't work here like it does there. We just don't have enough people willing to travel that way to have anything close to daily service.

Don't get me wrong. I hate to fly. Because of that I really like trains & have used them even here once or twice. But could we support a system like Europe has or even one tenth of what Europe has, no way.
    Automobile traffic is a system supported by the free market.

Air travel is a system supported by the free market, mostly, except for air traffic control (which should be privatized) and the airports. No reason the airlines shouldn't pay for those.

Amtrak is subsidized to the point where a $100 ticket from Los Angeles to San Antonio carries a $500 tax-payer robbed subsidy while a one-way flight costs less than the $100 upfront train ticket.

When the market demand for choo-choos is sufficient for private investors to see a return on their money, (never happened before, won't happen in the future - trains make money on freight), then it will make sense to expand choo-choo services.
    Freedom Takes "I Won't". - Eric Frank Russell

We the People DID NOT vote in a majority Rodent Congress, they stole it via election fraud.

1 out of 2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2

= 1/4,194,304
    = "Heads, Always Heads, Heads Every Time"
    = "Rodents Cheating"

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Sled Dog For This Useful Post:

Quark (05-01-2018)

Thread Information