User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: You Want Electric Road Vehicles?

Alumni Member V.I.P
    Overall activity: 47.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fly Paper View Post
    Diddly squat how large a country is, in America, drivers are limited to 11 cumulative hours driving in a 14-hour period, following a rest period of no less than 10 consecutive hours.

Taxcutter says:
    I take it you haven't seen the new double-sleeper truck bodies yet. They allow three-person crews to keep the load moving in spite of federal regs. This would work really well with catenary electric drive on coast-to-coast runs. Such a truck would never have to stop - even for fuel. They only need to stop long enough to change the butt in the seat.

Games People Play V.I.P
    Overall activity: 66.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Taxcutter View Post
    Taxcutter says:
    I take it you haven't seen the new double-sleeper truck bodies yet. They allow three-person crews to keep the load moving in spite of federal regs. This would work really well with catenary electric drive on coast-to-coast runs. Such a truck would never have to stop - even for fuel. They only need to stop long enough to change the butt in the seat.
    The health problems for remaining unable to move about, indefinitely...would be severe.

Even on the railroad, where the day is limited to 12 hours...over the years, twelve hours not being able to really stretch....locomotive engineers can change on a moving train, no problem; we'd trade off with conductors, often (illegal, but...) but over the years, you wind up sick and crippled. Like me. Fat, diabetic, metabolic issues, wasted muscles...back issues...circulation issues.

If that's what they have planned for truck drivers...they better plan on bringing in a LOT of Pakistanis to do it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JustPassinThru For This Useful Post:

Quark (04-16-2018)

Alumni Member V.I.P
    Overall activity: 48.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I know lets just replace all human beings with robots with artificial intelligence. Now there's an idea.

Games People Play V.I.P
    Overall activity: 66.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Quark View Post
    I know lets just replace all human beings with robots with artificial intelligence. Now there's an idea.
    Sure.

Who's going to build the computers, and write the programs?

A side note: All this excitement (and the trail of maimed and dead bodies) over self-driving cars...a MUCH-SIMPLER set of programs, self-driving TRAINS, has never been fully made to work. And it really is much, much simpler. As with an autopilot on an aircraft, the set of choices are far simpler on a train in progress - yet except for some pilot programs in remote areas, they have not been made to work, yet.

A large part of that is, in my opinion, emotional. Self-driving autos are a LONG way from being foolproof to the point of being safe; but the gee-whiz crowd gets all EXCITED about it. Self-driving freight-trains...meh.

So, we're going to dispose of good sense along with our understanding that technological progress is incremental, and go with Elon Musk's silly fantasy. No matter how many people get hurt and killed as part of it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JustPassinThru For This Useful Post:

Quark (04-16-2018)

is sticky stuff.
    Overall activity: 31.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Taxcutter View Post
    Taxcutter says:
    Just stop after 11 hours. Just scrap double deckers. When technology increases, go back to double deckers. America managed before double deckers, I'm sure they will again until technology advances.
    Jordan Peterson -

"Young men have been fed a diet of rights and impulsive freedom for fifty years but rights aren't as useful with regards to establishing what's meaningful in your life as a responsibility because most of the things people find deeply meaningful in their lives have to do with responsibility. You know, the responsibility of your career, the responsibility of your education, the responsibility you take on for your family and broader community"

Alumni Member V.I.P
    Overall activity: 48.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
    Sure.

Who's going to build the computers, and write the programs?

A side note: All this excitement (and the trail of maimed and dead bodies) over self-driving cars...a MUCH-SIMPLER set of programs, self-driving TRAINS, has never been fully made to work. And it really is much, much simpler. As with an autopilot on an aircraft, the set of choices are far simpler on a train in progress - yet except for some pilot programs in remote areas, they have not been made to work, yet.

A large part of that is, in my opinion, emotional. Self-driving autos are a LONG way from being foolproof to the point of being safe; but the gee-whiz crowd gets all EXCITED about it. Self-driving freight-trains...meh.

So, we're going to dispose of good sense along with our understanding that technological progress is incremental, and go with Elon Musk's silly fantasy. No matter how many people get hurt and killed as part of it.
    I was being sarcastic as I am with a good many posts. But you are right.

Thread Information