PDA

View Full Version : How do you become invisible and self sufficient?

lostbeyond
12-30-2012, 01:17 PM
Well, how?

I speculate the following.

1. Need to move to a climate where you don't need the energy infrastructure, such as Florida and generally the Golf Coast and South West. Otherwise winter heating becomes a problem.
2. Need a transportation that is alternative to a car/truck because of dependency on gas distribution networks, monitored by government.
3. Need a network of guys you know, so that you can buy ammo, and tools, generally.
4. Need to make something that you can sell.
5. This whole thing doesn't work because everything we do is within one or another government control/facilitation.

So, what can we do to survive a new greater economic depression that is coming now?

Calypso Jones
12-30-2012, 01:23 PM
excellent questions. I think it boils down to a network of people that you only deal with and FIND THEM NOW....AND, you dont deal with others. AT ALL. Look for friends with barterable skills and products themselves. By the way, can you brew? make wine? how about this? do you have medical skills? Do you know wild plants and herbs and do you know what to do with them? how about expert at waste management..primitive kinds so that it is efficient and sanitary? Even a car made before what? i've forgotten 88? no electronics. How about a small motorcycle. horse?

Calypso Jones
12-30-2012, 01:26 PM
oh. do you have any books on survival and camping?

A new one just came out. I read part of the first chapter and he talks about attitude and getting ready now. It's called A Navy Seals Guide to surviving any situation. I think i have that close. I got mine online at Walmart.

Maximatic
12-30-2012, 04:27 PM
Stop taking the government seriously.

Calypso Jones
12-30-2012, 04:38 PM
quiet civil disobedience.

Irascible Crusader
12-30-2012, 05:42 PM
Move to a non-extradition treaty country like Brazil.

St James
12-30-2012, 05:42 PM
Well, how?

I speculate the following.

1. Need to move to a climate where you don't need the energy infrastructure, such as Florida and generally the Golf Coast and South West. Otherwise winter heating becomes a problem.
2. Need a transportation that is alternative to a car/truck because of dependency on gas distribution networks, monitored by government.
3. Need a network of guys you know, so that you can buy ammo, and tools, generally.
4. Need to make something that you can sell.
5. This whole thing doesn't work because everything we do is within one or another government control/facilitation.

So, what can we do to survive a new greater economic depression that is coming now?

First, a low profile is no profile. Trade and exchanges for precious metals. Gold, sliver, platinum. Stones are a last choice.
Learn to deal in cash only, (money orders from cash to pay bills). Do not register any firearms unless it is a shotgun. Everything else buy private. As a just in case, try to get a letter of conveyence of ownership to show where you got it, if at all possible (no need for the price, just the previous owners name)
Buy good running older cars.
Question, if you live in the city, do you have a plan for getting out? If not, do you need to put into place another plan for staying where you are?
oh, yeah, throw out the damn Tom Tom, and get an Atlas and a compass. I have topical maps of my area.....

Irascible Crusader
12-30-2012, 05:54 PM
Why would you register a shotgun? None of mine are registered.

Calypso Jones
12-30-2012, 06:05 PM
topical maps. DAMN...GOOD idea.

garyo
12-30-2012, 06:23 PM
I have a place out of bounds.

Calypso Jones
12-30-2012, 06:31 PM
what does that mean? out of bounds.

Trinnity
12-30-2012, 09:16 PM
Imagine no electricity and go from there. What would you need to do?

12-30-2012, 09:20 PM
Imagine no electricity and go from there. What would you need to do?

Solar panels are an option, or you just go Amish style. A lot of what we think we need we don't need.

Calypso Jones
12-30-2012, 09:27 PM
Solar panels are an option, or you just go Amish style. A lot of what we think we need we don't need.

oh believe me. I NEED IT. I've spent a lot of time this past year with no power. Snow and power outages in early 2012, Earthquake in May, Derecho in June, and just this past week, 6 hours one nite and 3 hours during the day. I love all my conveniences but i guess we can do without if we MUST. I don't think most people realize what they're gonna do without once there's no electricity. Good lessons.

Trinnity
12-30-2012, 09:34 PM
What will they do without? Nothing important...just food, water, and warmth.

Can you open up your well and dip water with a bucket? I can. Don't have a well? Oops.

12-30-2012, 09:40 PM
oh believe me. I NEED IT. I've spent a lot of time this past year with no power. Snow and power outages in early 2012, Earthquake in May, Derecho in June, and just this past week, 6 hours one nite and 3 hours during the day. I love all my conveniences but i guess we can do without if we MUST. I don't think most people realize what they're gonna do without once there's no electricity. Good lessons.

Well, people bought into the urban centers thing and now people are pretty well stuck. I've been preparing like a psycho for the past few years.

Just in case.

Calypso Jones
12-30-2012, 09:42 PM
Well, people bought into the urban centers thing and now people are pretty well stuck. I've been preparing like a psycho for the past few years.

Just in case.

me too. Even if having to take off somewhere. Although. I am convinced that we can NEVER be 100% prepared. There's always something.

lostbeyond
12-30-2012, 09:59 PM
This may be a stupid question, but would an amateur radio network be necessary so that we can keep in touch if everything goes under?

I have been thinking in batteries and generators too, although generators tend to be diesel and gas most of the time, instead of some more available energy source.

lostbeyond
12-30-2012, 10:05 PM

Just in case.

What were your preparations? (Would be so easy to learn from.) At the moment I think urban centers can't survive, and we need a reasonably isolated low population density to make it. Also a cold winter could be an excessive extra burden, because of extra heating needs.

Calypso Jones
12-30-2012, 10:06 PM
EMP hit and your batteries and anything else electrical is a no go.

lostbeyond
12-30-2012, 10:07 PM
What were your preparations? (Would be so easy to learn from.) At the moment I think urban centers can't survive, and we need a reasonably isolated low population density to make it. Also a cold winter could be an excessive extra burden, because of extra heating needs.

Oops, I meant "interesting" to learn from your steps, not easy. I shouldn't assume that anything would be easy.

St James
12-30-2012, 11:00 PM
Why would you register a shotgun? None of mine are registered.

Not encouraging registering anything. Some folks have no resource to anything but new. If you have to buy new, make it a shotgun. Buy your ammo at another couple of three other places. I've had my stuff in place for a while. So I'm not real worried. It is my opinion, and only mine, that you might consider your first purchase to be a shotgun.

12-30-2012, 11:24 PM

Well, I have help...right now I have my in laws holding hogs, draft horses and other necessary livestock for me. I've stockpiled seeds from Bakers. I have frozen food, dried food, appropriate "hunting" stuff, fishing stuff, generator, solar panels, and have land paid for free and clear.

Some of us are working on a small community plan.

Roadmaster
01-01-2013, 05:13 PM
I was taught at an early age how to build a fire, build a hut, find food in the woods, catch fish without a pole, and the list goes on. It always amazed me on the movie survivor that they couldn't build a fire. My cousins and I would be gone for a week in the woods in the summer. Our parents knew we could take care of ourselves and knew it was good for us to do this. Times have changed but I still remember how.