PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. Ken Norton Semper Fi

LCgreat
09-19-2013, 05:25 PM
Ken Norton was a U.S.Marine,and the Heavyweight Champion.
Norton beat Muhammad Ali to win that Championship in 1973.

S/F
G.L.H. Marine,1968 -1970

Coolwalker
09-19-2013, 05:29 PM
I am sorry when any human dies, but I personally find boxing deplorable; his achievements to me as a boxer mean nothing.

Belazure
09-19-2013, 05:38 PM
I am sorry when any human dies, but I personally find boxing deplorable; his achievements to me as a boxer mean nothing.
I don't understand why that is - it's a martial art - by that standard do you find all full-contact martial arts (ex. Taekwondo, Karate, etc) deplorable?

The XL
09-19-2013, 05:42 PM
All time great. Underrated too. Rip.

The XL
09-19-2013, 05:43 PM

Why?

Coolwalker
09-19-2013, 05:45 PM
I don't understand why that is - it's a martial art - by that standard do you find all full-contact martial arts (ex. Taekwondo, Karate, etc) deplorable?

Grown men pounding each other for money is beyond stupid. He suffered strokes brought on from being pounded for years. He would have lived much longer had he sold used cars.

Gerrard Winstanley
09-19-2013, 05:49 PM
Grown men pounding each other for money is beyond stupid. He suffered strokes brought on from being pounded for years. He would have lived much longer had he sold used cars.
No more stupid than grown men rushing into each-other at full-pelt while clutching oval-shaped balls, reeling in obscene amounts of cash in the process. But I see where you're coming from.

Belazure
09-19-2013, 05:54 PM
Fair enough, though the same argument could be made about football, considering all the injuries the players face.

If that's what they want to do, then while it may be 'dangerous', I see no reason why an adult should be coddled like a little child and have their lives controlled if it affects no one but themselves.

Paperback Writer
09-19-2013, 05:55 PM
The man served his nation, gave the world great entertainment and will be missed by his family. Rest in Peace.

Coolwalker
09-19-2013, 06:06 PM
No more stupid than grown men rushing into each-other at full-pelt while clutching oval-shaped balls, reeling in obscene amounts of cash in the process. But I see where you're coming from.

If every penny that was spent on or for football for a period of one calendar year and placed instead in the capable hands of cancer researchers, a cure could possibly be months away.

Sinestro/Green Arrow
09-19-2013, 07:27 PM
If every penny that was spent on or for football for a period of one calendar year and placed instead in the capable hands of cancer researchers, a cure could possibly be months away.

Actually, the cure for cancer already exists. We'll just never see it as long as Big Pharma controls the strings.

Perianne
09-20-2013, 01:32 AM
Actually, the cure for cancer already exists. We'll just never see it as long as Big Pharma controls the strings.

Of which cancer are you speaking?

Sinestro/Green Arrow
09-20-2013, 01:57 AM
Of which cancer are you speaking?

All of them.

Gerrard Winstanley
09-20-2013, 02:12 AM
All of them.
Can I see some links? I hope this isn't some conspiracy you've got whipped up.

hoytmonger
09-20-2013, 05:02 AM
Ken Norton was a U.S.Marine,and the Heavyweight Champion.
Norton beat Muhammad Ali to win that Championship in 1973.

S/F
G.L.H. Marine,1968 -1970

Ken Norton not only beat Ali (Cassius Clay... wouldn't it be nice if Barry could admit he's a Muslim convert?) but broke his jaw.

Calypso Jones
09-20-2013, 07:40 AM
as much as I stupidly loved watching Muhammad ali fight in the day, i'm glad Norton beat him.

hoytmonger
09-20-2013, 02:41 PM
as much as I stupidly loved watching Muhammad ali fight in the day, i'm glad Norton beat him.

I loved watching Ali fight as well... but I wouldn't call it stupidly. Ali was a hell of of a boxer... better than any currently.