PDA

View Full Version : "Go Bags"

Joe Hallenbeck
08-13-2016, 10:47 AM
It is almost that time of year where we begin to head of into the woods.

In my area, Bow Season for deer is just weeks away. Soon after squirrel season sets in.

Soooo, for backpacks, "Go Bags", and the simple "Rucksack" I have ideas for contents.

1) Backpack

Plain and simple, you need a backpack that is durable. Something that will hold its own. I prefer something that will hold out in a light rain and save the contents from getting wet.

2) Ponch Liners

One or two poncho liners can be extremely warm. Made out of nylon and polyester they are excellent at reflecting heat back towards the body when covered by them. Lighweight and about seven feet in length, they are great to bundle up in and can help prevent hypothermia.

3) Fire.

Forget the expensive fire starters, simple Bic Lighters do well, and are inexpensive. Put two lighters inside a good ziplock bag with fire starting material and you have a simple way to start a fire. Take three or four of those small brown bags like you get at a grocery store, fold them up....and put them and your Bic Lighters in the ziplock bag. Brown paper sacks burn for a long time to get the kindling started. Another consideration is dryer lint - it almost burns for ever.

4) Poly Tarps

Poly Tarps are cheap and lightweight. I have two in my bag - a small 6x8 and a 8x10. Great for wrapping up in also - they too reflect heat toward the body, or making a shelter out of. Put a study and straight stick / tree limb...... part way up a tree - tying it off, with the end of the stick out at a 45 degree angle. Throw the tarp over the stick, staking the tarp down through the eyelets with green twigs. Put another smaller tarp inside as a ground piece, and you have a shelter. Or tie the tarp up in between three or four trees and you have a roof to keep you dry in the rain.

5) 550 Cord

550 cord is great and versatile. Worth its weight in gold. From hoisting game in a tree, to tying accessories. Or use it for a light weight tarp. A 100 feet of 550 cord is a benefit to any pack.

6) Knives.

This is a no brainer. Keep two ---- One sturdy fixed blade knife, and one folding knife. Don't get knives that will fall apart - Knives are something that be able to hold an edge and be durable and long lasting.

7) A radio

Radios are great. They give you the weather, news and other information. Like a good campfire - they can ward off boredom, raise morale and help keep spirits high. I have a pocket radio = Grundig in my backpack...that takes aaa batteries and is about the size of my palm. It has AM / FM / Shortwave, as well as an alarm. AM broadcast are great for news reports - and what better to get international news from in an emergency.....than the BBC ; on their shortwave frequency. FM broadcast lets you listen to great music.....and the radio has a digital tuner.

8) First Aid Kit.

Simple nylon cases with zippers that can be bought cheap make great first aid kits. Tweezers, bandaids, gauze, 4x4 & 2x2 pads. Include over the counter meds such as Aspirin, Tums, Imoduim pills, Advil & Ibuprofen....which are anti-inflammatory pills for strains and sprains.

9) Flashlight.

No backpack can be had without a good flashlight....or two. LED flashlight burn longer than most other flashlights, because they draw less power - so the batteries last longer. My Surefire LED flashlight I keep in my backpack last 8 hours on high and 24 hours on low. Low power easily allows me to see 40 and 50 yards ahead of me. LED flashlights throw out a nice equal beam.

10) Extra Clothes.

You never know. The ones you have may get ripped or tore, or you could become wet from falling, or after walking across a stream. A simple t-shirt and cheap pants will do well - or camouflaged / brown / grey military style fatigues. In the coll months, replace your tshirt with a sweater or a hoodie. Colors suggested is grey ( blends in anywhere - urban and woods ) , brown, tan, camouflage. Two extra pair of underclothes, and two or three extra pair of socks is recommended.

11) Trash Bags

Three or four large trash bags. Trash bags can be used as a ground mat as well as a putting trash in, or made to use as a poncho in a rain. Lightweight they serve many purposes. The super large industrial trash bags are terrific and more durable than the simple trash bags you get at the store.

12 ) Binoculars

A small compact pair of binoculars. 4 to 8 power small binoculars that allow you to look in the distance, or due to haze, mist, and other atmospheric problems....allow you to see something more clearly.

13) Water

Two or three large bottles of water. One - One quart bottle of "De Ja Blue" water will set you back a whole .99 Cents. Change your water out in your backpack every so often.

14) Food

MREs ( meals ready to eat ) can be had off of the internet cheap. Anywhere between one and three would be nice, OR - snack food can be purchased and put in a plastic grocery bag and wrapped up. Hard Tack Candy keeps the mouth from drying out, Jerky and canned meat, Canned Fruit for sugars the body needs, and other food.

15) Toothpaste and toothbrush.

Pharmacy's and "Wal-Mart" have the travel packs of toothpaste and toothbrushes together. Set you back about a whole five dollars.

Considerations

16) Aluminum foil.

At home tear you off two or three decent pieces of Aluminum Foil, fold them up into a square and place them in a one gallon ziplock bag. If you are in the woods and kill small game, you can wrap the meat up in aluminum foil and place on the coals of a campfire to cook ; or if a deer is killed - cook on the fire, or slow cook inside the Aluminum Foil. Water from a clear stream or a creek in the country allows to to put meat in Aluminum foil with water....and broil the meat for really tender cooked food.

17) A handgun

The Sig-Sauer "Pro Series" ( 2022 ) can be had in 9mm, .40 and .357 Sig. It will set you back a little over $400.00 in most places , some internet prices are about $370.00 .

Glock 19 and 23 ( mid sized 9mm and 40 caliber )

Glock 30 ( 10 shot - midsized .45 ACP )

Various revolvers.

18) A good boonie cap.

Boonie caps help shield you from the sun, and in a light rain or drizzle - shields the face and head.

Military Poncho Liner | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/bhp/military-poncho-liner)

A 5 Min video :

Poncho Liner: The Blanket - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pz5EXJUN04)

Tactical Backpack | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/bhp/tactical-backpack)

Amazon Best Sellers: Best Tactical Backpacks (https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Sports-Outdoors-Tactical-Backpacks/zgbs/sporting-goods/3222113011)

Streamlight Protac: Flashlights | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/bhp/streamlight-protac)

500 Service Unavailable Error (https://www.amazon.com/Stansport-Reinforced-Brown-Rip-Stop-20-Feet/dp/B00O6HI4JM/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1471096619&sr=8-12&keywords=16x20+tarp)

Bushnell Compact Binoculars | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/sch/Bushnell-Compact-Binoculars/83880/bn_159200/i.html?_fsrp=0&_trkparms=pageci%3D4bc3f9aa-88ad-4cd9-a44b-7351016df55a%2Cparentrq%3D845ea3681560a99bea6cf28f fffed90c%2Ciid%3D1%2Cobjectid%3D83880)

:Joe

Calypso Jones
08-13-2016, 11:03 AM
This sounds great for a bug out bag or anything else. Superfind and thanks for posting. CJ

Rickity Plumber
08-13-2016, 11:12 AM
What a great easy to read thread. Thaks for posting this. I just broke my glasses after my earlier session here so now I am typing without glasses. The keyboard is a blurry mess. I have to use my skills.

Rickity Plumber
08-13-2016, 11:39 AM
If I had a bag with what you suggest, a man (or woman) could survive in the woods. It has everything to keep a person warm, dry, and fed. Well, at least the means to feed oneself.

Captain Kirk!
08-13-2016, 11:54 AM
iGun 4 - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyisfzUT7Ys&list=WL&index=52)

Joe Hallenbeck
08-13-2016, 02:18 PM
This sounds great for a bug out bag or anything else. Superfind and thanks for posting. CJ

Anytime Calypso.

@Calypso Jones (http://thepoliticsforums.com/member.php?u=30)

I forgot to add, keep a good pair of comfortable low quarter hiking / sports shoes besides the bug out bag.

A dedicated change of clothes - hiking shoes and boonie cap beside your bug out bag. I keep my "BOB" in a closet.

Take a few minutes to just change clothes...if you have to, and then the only thing you need to do is grab your equipped "BOB" and leave.

Shelter - Blankets - Food - Water - Fire Starting material...ect ; all ready to go.

I did not put it on the list , most people will not. But you can add about $150 to $200 dollars somewhere in the bag : for emergencies or to help resupply food and water. Some Military people do this......which goes back to "Special Operations" being given "Blood Money" for use behind enemy lines.......if need be. Blood money is money to get you out of trouble, bribe with, or to give some poor farmer money for food or clothes......if you are in escape and evasion mode. Poor people keep their mouth shut when a "GI" hands them a months worth the wages in an instant .......for food, medical care, or clothes.

Joe Hallenbeck
08-13-2016, 02:26 PM
If I had a bag with what you suggest, a man (or woman) could survive in the woods. It has everything to keep a person warm, dry, and fed. Well, at least the means to feed oneself.

You can make a shelter out of the polytarp, and if need be in bad weather...or approaching bad weather , cover the tarp with brush, leaves, fir and pine limbs.......ect - to keep the inside insulated.

Bend a sapling over, and notch the base of the sapling to weaken it. Tie the top of the sapling to some point in the ground, or a homemade ground stake. The sapling should look like a upside down "U".

Throw the tarp over the sapling - which should have the appearance of an Igloo ; and then throw your ground tarp inside. You now have a shelter.

Remember when making a shelter - place it where water will not run into it if it rains, like the base of a hill or a depression in the ground.

Joe Hallenbeck
08-13-2016, 02:39 PM
You all remember if you are in the woods, have your campfire about 30 or 40 yards from where you have your shelter built. If someone would find your campfire ( walk upon it..... or see the coals from a distance ) ; they will not find your sleeping place.

At night - for the most part - shapes are easy to see. Place some twigs in the ground, twigs with leaves..... near your shelter to distort the shape.....should someone, or a group of people be walking around of a night. Or cover your shelter with limbs and leaves to distort its appearance and shape.

Sound carries farther of a night, as well as on those dull days when low altitude grey clouds are overhead.

Summer time, pine needles on the ground......are perfect places for ticks - so be careful.

Like a human being - Game acts and reacts. Watch the game and you might learn something. Game ( birds - squirrels - rabbits - deer - crows ) reacts when they are being pushed. Game can not only alert you to intruders, but strangers.

Crows really "calling" at near dusk and early morning in large flocks - Most generally they are harassing / fighting Turkeys. So crows can alert you to the location of game & food. Also, one or more crows will provide "overwatch" in trees, while other crows eat and feed in a field. One "CAWL" from one of the "Watch Crows" - and they are all gone.

Danger - Food - Trespassers ; the game will tell you everything. If you are quiet and tuned in, they will tell you when a big buck deer is approaching.

freehuman
08-22-2017, 04:42 PM
4) Poly Tarps
Poly Tarps are cheap and lightweight. I have two in my bag - a small 6x8 and a 8x10. Great for wrapping up in also - they too reflect heat toward the body, or making a shelter out of. Put a study and straight stick / tree limb...... part way up a tree - tying it off, with the end of the stick out at a 45 degree angle. Throw the tarp over the stick, staking the tarp down through the eyelets with green twigs. Put another smaller tarp inside as a ground piece, and you have a shelter. Or tie the tarp up in between three or four trees and you have a roof to keep you dry in the rain.

5) 550 Cord
550 cord is great and versatile. Worth its weight in gold. From hoisting game in a tree, to tying accessories. Or use it for a light weight tarp. A 100 feet of 550 cord is a benefit to any pack.

I have been camping a while now with a hammock and a tarp. The combination of these two together with the 550 cord is heaven!

Amazon Best Sellers: Best Tactical Backpacks (https://solidgear.net/best-tactical-backpack/)

I have the Seibertron Falcon. It's a good backpack for an overnighter in the woods.

Joe Hallenbeck
09-02-2017, 02:47 PM
I have been camping a while now with a hammock and a tarp. The combination of these two together with the 550 cord is heaven!

I have the Seibertron Falcon. It's a good backpack for an overnighter in the woods.
freehuman

"Go Bags" are a persons life support system in time of trouble or need. Its better to have.....than not to have.

Joe :

2cent
09-04-2017, 10:47 AM
Wow. I see a deer. Get up off couch. Point, aim, squeeze. Done, and sittin' on ice within the hour.

Squirrel season? Please don't tell anyone that, w/in the last 3 weekends, there aren't 24 less of the varmits gettin' into my chicken feed. It just plain wouldn't be true.