PDA

View Full Version : Black powder for preppers....

Quark
07-09-2016, 12:23 AM
Here's something for you preppers:

Overlooked By Preppers...Black Powder! - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rAwSmvpzBg)

OldSchool
07-09-2016, 02:05 AM
I'm all for back-ups!

:cool20:

Northern Rivers
07-09-2016, 03:25 AM
Here's something for you preppers:

Overlooked By Preppers...Black Powder! - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rAwSmvpzBg) I have a 40mm black powder canon...which I made with my three sons when they were 8 through 11. Great fun....

Rickity Plumber
07-09-2016, 08:04 AM
I have always wondered how long it takes to reload the 6 shots of a black powder pistol. "Two and a half to three minutes" to reload a cylinder as quoted by the film maker guy. However, he had extra cylinders loaded and greased ready to go, minus the caps of course.

Those 1851 Navy replicas are beautiful pieces. I would love to have two and all the fixins. Then become proficient at it.

Quark
07-09-2016, 12:21 PM
Not a problem Rickity Plumber as those guns can be bought directly through the mail without a FFL. Prices are pretty reasonable to. Even Hawken and Pennsylvanian rifles can be bought through the mail without a FFL. Check all local and state laws however before purchase.

Madison
08-24-2016, 08:39 PM
I might need someday to have the right gears to go live very far away in the wood far away from civilization but in North America

Maybe that day I`ll need a man
buit a shack a way nobody can see it..but 4 seasons one
guns-ammo--bows=arrow...I`m veggie but that could change
I could become a deer hunter for meat
And make a garden in summer

anyone? :)

Quark
08-24-2016, 11:18 PM
I might need someday to have the right gears to go live very far away in the wood far away from civilization but in North America

Good luck on finding a man. Us good ones are already taken. My wife says tough luck to all the other ladies, I'm taken, their lost her gain. :)

Madison
08-24-2016, 11:25 PM
Good luck on finding a man. Us good ones are already taken. My wife says tough luck to all the other ladies, I'm taken, their lost her gain. :)

Hello to her :)
Maybe an X Army guy

Rickity Plumber
10-29-2016, 08:21 AM

you sound like a perfect frontier woman Madison. 40 years ago, I would have scooped you up. Today I am older and enjoy my air conditioning and flush toilets. You already live in Canada, a land of much more wilderness than anywhere in the US.

Anders Hoveland
10-29-2016, 06:38 PM
I really hope none of you try to make it in a blender. That's a recipe for disaster.

Dave37
10-29-2016, 07:00 PM
I have always wondered how long it takes to reload the 6 shots of a black powder pistol. "Two and a half to three minutes" to reload a cylinder as quoted by the film maker guy. However, he had extra cylinders loaded and greased ready to go, minus the caps of course. Those 1851 Navy replicas are beautiful pieces. I would love to have two and all the fixins. Then become proficient at it. I think the 1851 Colt cylinder doesn't come out easily for replacement with a loaded cylinder. The Remington does but read up on it more anyway before you commit. Ok I just looked it up and the 1851 does come with spare cylinders, maybe I was thinking of the 1860 Colt- sorry.

Rickity Plumber
10-29-2016, 09:19 PM
I think the 1851 Colt cylinder doesn't come out easily for replacement with a loaded cylinder. The Remington does but read up on it more anyway before you commit. Ok I just looked it up and the 1851 does come with spare cylinders, maybe I was thinking of the 1860 Colt- sorry.

Thanks for the reply. I would love to have a set of fine lookin irons like those. However, $1500 can buy a lot of "sensible" weaponry and ammo.

Quark
10-29-2016, 09:55 PM
you sound like a perfect frontier woman @Madison (http://thepoliticsforums.com/member.php?u=2082). 40 years ago, I would have scooped you up. Today I am older and enjoy my air conditioning and flush toilets. You already live in Canada, a land of much more wilderness than anywhere in the US.

Me too. I'm a happily married man but at 69 I'm out of the loop.

Dave37
10-29-2016, 10:23 PM
Thanks for the reply. I would love to have a set of fine lookin irons like those. However, $1500 can buy a lot of "sensible" weaponry and ammo. I think you can get a 1851 Colt replica for around 2oo dollars, still if you really depend on a gun get something modern.

Rickity Plumber
10-30-2016, 08:25 AM
Me too. I'm a happily married man but at 69 I'm out of the loop.

Same here! Who the hell would want an old dude like me? Big gut, can barely get it up anymore but I do have all my hair and teeth!

Rickity Plumber
10-30-2016, 08:32 AM
I think you can get a 1851 Colt replica for around 2oo dollars, still if you really depend on a gun get something modern.

You know, I already have guns I can depend on but when does a man say that he has got all the guns he needs? Never, right?

On Life Below Zero, one of the feature guys has an old felony rap from years ago. He only can hunt with black powder weapons. He has a Hawkins 54 cal and a double barrel black powder shotgun. That is all he can use. I see him when his firearms malfunction and do not fire and think to myself, what if he was trying to protect his family from a charging bear instead of shooting geese flying over?

I mean, can you REALLY depend on black powder arms to positively be depended upon to fire? He says, "these guns are like another piece of machinery that breaks down occasionally".

I feel that my weapons absolutely CAN NOT "break down" at any time. On the range and shooting geese flying overhead is one thing, but what about bears as I mentioned or a pack of BLM'er animals wanting to bust you up?

Dave37
10-30-2016, 12:49 PM
You know, I already have guns I can depend on but when does a man say that he has got all the guns he needs? Never, right? On Life Below Zero, one of the feature guys has an old felony rap from years ago. He only can hunt with black powder weapons. He has a Hawkins 54 cal and a double barrel black powder shotgun. That is all he can use. I see him when his firearms malfunction and do not fire and think to myself, what if he was trying to protect his family from a charging bear instead of shooting geese flying over? I mean, can you REALLY depend on black powder arms to positively be depended upon to fire? He says, "these guns are like another piece of machinery that breaks down occasionally". I feel that my weapons absolutely CAN NOT "break down" at any time. On the range and shooting geese flying overhead is one thing, but what about bears as I mentioned or a pack of BLM'er animals wanting to bust you up? lol I'd guess hunting bear with a BP rifle ensures you get the shot just right, which may be the appeal of BP, you have to get involved with the weapons and aim your shot which is all good practice for other events that may occur using a modern weapon.

Rickity Plumber
10-30-2016, 01:45 PM
lol I'd guess hunting bear with a BP rifle ensures you get the shot just right, which may be the appeal of BP, you have to get involved with the weapons and aim your shot which is all good practice for other events that may occur using a modern weapon.

How right you are. Being familiar with your weapon and its true capabilities should be for all weapons.

someguy
10-31-2016, 01:59 AM
I think the 1851 Colt cylinder doesn't come out easily for replacement with a loaded cylinder. The Remington does but read up on it more anyway before you commit. Ok I just looked it up and the 1851 does come with spare cylinders, maybe I was thinking of the 1860 Colt- sorry.
I had a Ruger Old Army for awhile. I was using Pyrodex, with corn meal for a buffer, and sealed with Crisco. It took more like 10 to 15 minutes to reload, and shooting always resulted in a huge mess.
The novelty wore off very quickly! It did make me appreciate my single action Rugers a lot more though.

Rickity Plumber
10-31-2016, 04:19 AM
I had a Ruger Old Army for awhile. I was using Pyrodex, with corn meal for a buffer, and sealed with Crisco. It took more like 10 to 15 minutes to reload, and shooting always resulted in a huge mess.
The novelty wore off very quickly! It did make me appreciate my single action Rugers a lot more though.

Oh yes!

Dave37
10-31-2016, 11:17 AM
I had a Ruger Old Army for awhile. I was using Pyrodex, with corn meal for a buffer, and sealed with Crisco. It took more like 10 to 15 minutes to reload, and shooting always resulted in a huge mess. The novelty wore off very quickly! It did make me appreciate my single action Rugers a lot more though. Hmmm some crisco, cornmeal and heat, sounds like a recipe. I'd guess if you can't legally own a regular firearm, BP may be the way to go, and BP was good for the army in it's day.

someguy
11-01-2016, 10:39 PM
Hmmm some crisco, cornmeal and heat, sounds like a recipe. I'd guess if you can't legally own a regular firearm, BP may be the way to go, and BP was good for the army in it's day.
It was good for the Army only because there was nothing else.
I finally watched the video in the first post. That guy is an idjit. Mercury fulmninate has been illegal for use in primers since before WW1. The French 8mm Lebel was the last factory round I know of to use it. The caps he has use Lead Styhpnate. What he should have told us is that modern "corrosive" ammo is called corrosive because it uses primers that contain Potassium Chlorate as the oxidant. That's very easy to make, if you can find KCl04.
BP guns are viable only if you have zero other options. Otherwise, they require frequent cleaning, which involves a lot more kit, and they're basically just too much bother.
If TSHTF, there will be no shortage of guns and ammo laying on the corpses who no longer need them.

Dave37
11-02-2016, 02:33 PM
It was good for the Army only because there was nothing else. I finally watched the video in the first post. That guy is an idjit. Mercury fulmninate has been illegal for use in primers since before WW1. The French 8mm Lebel was the last factory round I know of to use it. The caps he has use Lead Styhpnate. What he should have told us is that modern "corrosive" ammo is called corrosive because it uses primers that contain Potassium Chlorate as the oxidant. That's very easy to make, if you can find KCl04. BP guns are viable only if you have zero other options. Otherwise, they require frequent cleaning, which involves a lot more kit, and they're basically just too much bother. If TSHTF, there will be no shortage of guns and ammo laying on the corpses who no longer need them. Makes sense and you're probably thinking of large groups in an angry end of the world scenario. But for a slow cooking of the frog insurance, if the government outlaws guns, bullets, powder and rations food, then you could not only make your own black powder and bullets but guns to use it too. However I do live in California so my options may be down to a slingshot, if that, before too long.

Big Dummy
11-02-2016, 11:34 PM
Makes sense and you're probably thinking of large groups in an angry end of the world scenario. But for a slow cooking of the frog insurance, if the government outlaws guns, bullets, powder and rations food, then you could not only make your own black powder and bullets but guns to use it too. However I do live in California so my options may be down to a slingshot, if that, before too long.

You will be jailed if you hurl so much as a slur.