PDA

View Full Version : One of the “Ghost Fleets”

sargentodiaz
05-19-2016, 03:39 PM
http://static1.businessinsider.com/image/5435a74769bedd693bf8e10d-1200/the-mothball-fleet-is-about-a-mile-off-the-coast-of-suisan-bay-a-body-of-water-northeast-of-san-francisco-near-the-town-of-benicia.jpg

http://static1.businessinsider.com/image/5436f7dc69bedd3c02782adf-1200/other-ships-however-will-not-meet-such-an-honorable-resting-place-by-2017-the-suisan-bay-fleet-will-be-no-more-with-all-of-the-remaining-ships-sent-to-be-dismantled.jpg

Since 1946, the US government has maintained fleets of various "mothballed" ships that can be readied and used in case of a crisis.

These boats, some of which are very old, include military ships that served in World War II, the Korean War, the Vietnam War, and Desert Storm, as well as civilian merchant ships from previous decades. The fleets sit, mostly untouched and off-limits, in the coastal waters of California, Texas, and Mississippi as well as North Carolina and New Jersey.

Story and more pictures @ http://www.businessinsider.com/decaying-ships-off-coast-of-san-francisco-2016-5?op=0#

Tennyson
05-19-2016, 03:43 PM
There is a great book about WWIII that happens in the near future I am about 3/4 of the way through. It involves the ghost fleet and because of technology, those are the only viable ships for the Navy. The book is called Ghost Fleet.

Dr. Felix Birdbiter
05-19-2016, 04:04 PM
They would need to draft us old codgers to run these ships. The modern "sailor" can only push buttons and stare at screens.

Tennyson
05-19-2016, 04:22 PM
They would need to draft us old codgers to run these ships. The modern "sailor" can only push buttons and stare at screens.

That is what they did in the book.

Robert Urbanek
05-19-2016, 08:19 PM
Reminds me a bit of the newer Battlestar Gallactica, in which the title ship had been decommissioned before returning to battle. As I recall, Adama went back to inboard "landlines" so the communications couldn't be hacked by the Cylons.

Tennyson
05-19-2016, 10:32 PM
Reminds me a bit of the newer Battlestar Gallactica, in which the title ship had been decommissioned before returning to battle. As I recall, Adama went back to inboard "landlines" so the communications couldn't be hacked by the Cylons.

The primary ship they took out of the ghost fleet was the USS Zumwalt.

Dr. Felix Birdbiter
05-20-2016, 07:43 AM
The primary ship they took out of the ghost fleet was the USS Zumwalt.

Zumwalt????? To me that is a new ship. I served on the USS Mansfield, a WW2 Destroyer that had not been updated very much (better racks and a DASH deck and hedge hogs in place of depth charges) This was in the late 60's.

Tennyson
05-20-2016, 07:48 AM
Zumwalt????? To me that is a new ship. I served on the USS Mansfield, a WW2 Destroyer that had not been updated very much (better racks and a DASH deck and hedge hogs in place of depth charges) This was in the late 60's.
The book is a few years in the future. It never says how far, but maybe ten years or so.