PDA

View Full Version : The rat who got away

sandhurstdelta
04-12-2016, 07:29 PM
If this had been a SHTF situation and I needed protein my cat would have been very helpful yesterday evening bringing home a nice fat rat. The cat scurried in the door and past my desk where I was seated and went on into his inner sanctum -- the bedroom bathroom. He only does this when he has captured something like a squirrel or bird.

So I got up to see what it was this time, thinking to take it away before he got feathers and/or blood all over the place again.

To my surprise it was a big rat. Not only that but apparently the rat was playing 'possum. When the cat laid it down on the bathroom floor, the rat jumped up and darted for cover. When the cat jumped after the rat the rat jumped 2 feet into the air like a micro basketball player and dodged the cat's sharp claws. Then the rat ran out of the bathroom, through the bedroom, into the hallway, then into the kitchen with the cat chasing him. It was a Kentucky Derby!

At length, the rat was cornered by my cat in the corner between the kitchen sink and the cutlery cabinet. And at that moment the rat disappeared.

He climbed up through an opening in the floor trim and into the crawl space between the kitchen sink and the cabinet.

Foiled !!!

That was yesterday evening.

Today I went to the hardware store and bought a rat hotel trap and two ultrasonic rat repellant wall plug-in's for $30 bucks total.

My cat's little adventure has cost us $30 bucks -- so far.

$30 bucks in cat currency is 60 canned meals. It costs about $1 per day to feed a cat. So this anti-rat paraphernalia would have bought the next 60 meals for the cat whereas the fat rat himself would have lasted only 2 meals at most.

Hopefully the hotel trap will work. Rats check-in but they cannot check-out.

With 3 kitties in the house I cannot go the usual route of the spring loaded rat trap with bacon on top of it as before. I need the rat hotel this time.

We learned in marketing during undergrad in college that even if you build a better mousetrap the world will not beat a path to your door -- you need to market it.

But I beat a path to the hardware store's door to find the rat trap and sonic rat repellant devices unlike what we learned in marketing.

Now the trap is set out and the devices are both plugged into the kitchen outlets to chase the rat out from within the crawl space.

Jen
04-12-2016, 07:39 PM
I hope I don't see the end of this story. It's a rat..... but.........
When we lived in Puerto Rico...... rats flocked to the mango tree in the back yard (my husband still won't eat mangos and it's been over 30 years). The dogs brought one to dinner and placed it by my hubs's bare foot as he sat at the (glass topped) table.

There was some unpleasant man-screeching that followed.
At least the rat was dade. And yes I meant to spell it that way.

sandhurstdelta
04-12-2016, 07:42 PM
Actually I am hoping this story ends quickly with a dead rat in the rat hotel.

michaelr
04-12-2016, 07:44 PM
If this had been a SHTF situation and I needed protein my cat would have been very helpful yesterday evening bringing home a nice fat rat. The cat scurried in the door and past my desk where I was seated and went on into his inner sanctum -- the bedroom bathroom. He only does this when he has captured something like a squirrel or bird.

So I got up to see what it was this time, thinking to take it away before he got feathers and/or blood all over the place again.

To my surprise it was a big rat. Not only that but apparently the rat was playing 'possum. When the cat laid it down on the bathroom floor, the rat jumped up and darted for cover. When the cat jumped after the rat the rat jumped 2 feet into the air like a micro basketball player and dodged the cat's sharp claws. Then the rat ran out of the bathroom, through the bedroom, into the hallway, then into the kitchen with the cat chasing him. It was a Kentucky Derby!

At length, the rat was cornered by my cat in the corner between the kitchen sink and the cutlery cabinet. And at that moment the rat disappeared.

He climbed up through an opening in the floor trim and into the crawl space between the kitchen sink and the cabinet.

Foiled !!!

That was yesterday evening.

Today I went to the hardware store and bought a rat hotel trap and two ultrasonic rat repellant wall plug-in's for $30 bucks total.

My cat's little adventure has cost us $30 bucks -- so far.

$30 bucks in cat currency is 60 canned meals. It costs about $1 per day to feed a cat. So this anti-rat paraphernalia would have bought the next 60 meals for the cat whereas the fat rat himself would have lasted only 2 meals at most.

Hopefully the hotel trap will work. Rats check-in but they cannot check-out.

With 3 kitties in the house I cannot go the usual route of the spring loaded rat trap with bacon on top of it as before. I need the rat hotel this time.

We learned in marketing during undergrad in college that even if you build a better mousetrap the world will not beat a path to your door -- you need to market it.

But I beat a path to the hardware store's door to find the rat trap and sonic rat repellant devices unlike what we learned in marketing.

Now the trap is set out and the devices are both plugged into the kitchen outlets to chase the rat out from within the crawl space.

Here is something they don't, yet should, teach in Marketing. There's a sucker born every minute!

sandhurstdelta
04-12-2016, 07:45 PM
Here is something they don't, yet should, teach in Marketing. There's a sucker born every minute!

I'll take your word for it.

Katzndogz
04-12-2016, 08:00 PM
When I lived near the LA river the cats used to bring home headless rats daily.

What you should do. If they don't sell it where you are, go online and get Coyote piss. Sprinkle it around. The rat will leave.

sandhurstdelta
04-12-2016, 11:54 PM
When I lived near the LA river the cats used to bring home headless rats daily.

What you should do. If they don't sell it where you are, go online and get Coyote piss. Sprinkle it around. The rat will leave.

Bringing home things is my cat's job in the neighborhood.

Up to now these have all been dead.

The rat unfortunately was not.

The cat made a big mistake not killing it when he had the chance.

sandhurstdelta
04-14-2016, 07:52 AM
Snowball my cat woke me around 4 a.m. moments ago in the early morning darkness. He had been sleeping peacefully curled up by my side in bed. He never wakes this early unless something is up. His usual reveille hour is 5:30 a.m. for morning chow.

I was in the middle of a dream about a conference I had recently had with clients who were trying to chisel-down my fee proposal. In my sleep I felt Snowball bolt upright, then he made his inquisitive "BRRRRTTT!" vocalization, and then he darted immediately into the bathroom and jumped into the tub.

I figured this meant that the rat was in there somewhere. Cats have exceptional hearing with their big beautiful ears. So he must have heard something in the night in the middle of his sleep and it woke him. Good kitty !!!

So butt-naked (I always sleep butt-naked -- lets your skin dry out at night) I got up and grabbed my high power bicycle flashlight on the chair by my bed where I always keep it at night, turned it on, and shined my way into the bathroom.

There was the rat, hiding behind the shower curtain inside the tub.

Snowball could not get to the rat because the shower curtain was like a big shield for the rat. But Snowball had the rat cornered. The rat was not going anywhere or else 20 claws on 4 paws and 4 sharp saber-like teeth would have torn into him.

Battle stations !!

So I backtracked to get my fishing spear which was by the bedroom door for just such an event, and when the rat poked its nose out from under the curtain, I skewered his head to the floor of the tub. The rat screeched! Then he tried to somersault out of the impalement. Even though my spear point had gone right through is brain, he was still not dead. If I had thought to grab my knife as well, I could easily have cut off his head like I would a snake's while it's head was pinned to the ground with my hiking stick, a move that has killed many a diamondback.

However the only thing in reach was the toilet plunger and I could not let go of the spear. So I managed to use my knees together to unscrew the rubber head from the plunger, then I used the wooden dowel to crush the rat's skull while my spear kept it pinned to the ground.

1 dead rat.

My cat was watching intently, seeing that this is how humans kill things -- using spears (and toilet plungers).

I later surmised from looking at the green cube of rat poison in the box trap in the kitchen which is pet-proof that the rat had nibbled on the poison. This meant that the poison was doing its job. The poison makes them want to drink.

So after nibbling on the poison within the box trap the rat must have smelled the water in the tub and gone for it in the middle of the night when rodents usually are out and about (New England expression -- out and about -- taught to me by a friend from Dartmouth during college daze).

I used the spear to toss the rat into the bathroom trash can, then I emptied that into the kitchen trash bag, got dressed, then took out the trash right away to the dumpster outside.

Since the warning on the rat trap says that if your cat eats a rat poisoned by this product, it could also kill your cat. So I threw out the excellent $15 dollar rat trap as well.

Pets are just like children, and you have to be careful about anything around the house that could poison them.

Mission accomplished and end of ordeal.

sandhurstdelta
04-14-2016, 08:07 AM
I feel bad about killing the rat. He was a smart rat whose only crime was the unfortunate bad luck of being caught and brought home by my cat. Usually the cat eats half and brings home the rest. This time for whatever reason the cat brought home the whole rat which was still alive.

Cats kill mice and rats. It's what they do. This is why the ancient Egyptians loved them and domesticated them. Now cats like dogs are our loving pets who share our lives and keep us company and amuse us with their antics.

I feel bad about killing things. But there was no choice. The rat was not leaving anytime soon, and the rat poison had doomed it to death anyway, and I had to get rid of it before my cat caught and ate it. The rat poison inside the rat would be lethal to my beloved kitty too.

Spearing fish with my fishing spear is always guilt free for me however. Since fish don't have arms and legs they don't evoke a humanist response in me. Same with grabbing lobster off the ocean floor -- no regrets.

But I felt bad for the rat, after the deed was done. It's the same feeling as walking up to a downed buck deer after shooting him through the chest. The hydrostatic force of the ultra high powered Canadian bear rifle kills it before it drops to the ground. But I still regret that I killed another mammal in order that I could eat. My dad warned me about this when I was 5 years old -- he said an animal had to die for us to be able to eat the meat -- therefore never waste food.

The rat was not food. It was just a potentially dangerous pest. And now it is dead.

There are plenty more rats out there. The only purpose for mice and rats is as food for owls, hawks, and cats. They are at the lower end of the food chain right after grains and plants. This poor rat died for nothing.

As a true philosopher you are always called to account for your own actions, and your conscience is your worst critic.

sandhurstdelta
04-14-2016, 08:12 AM
I hope I don't see the end of this story. It's a rat..... but.........
When we lived in Puerto Rico...... rats flocked to the mango tree in the back yard (my husband still won't eat mangos and it's been over 30 years). The dogs brought one to dinner and placed it by my hubs's bare foot as he sat at the (glass topped) table.

There was some unpleasant man-screeching that followed.
At least the rat was dade. And yes I meant to spell it that way.
Jen , I love mangos.

OptimaFemina
04-14-2016, 08:23 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0MkIPGKdAk

sandhurstdelta
04-14-2016, 08:26 AM
OptimaFemina , rats are ugly and dirty and flea ridden and can carry disease.

They get a pretty bad rap, except in China where they are a delicacy. You just need the right plum sauce to go along with them.

That's what a Chinese lady that I used to date told me once.

OptimaFemina
04-14-2016, 08:31 AM
@OptimaFemina (http://thepoliticsforums.com/member.php?u=1007) , rats are ugly and dirty and flea ridden and can carry disease.

They get a pretty bad rap, except in China where they are a delicacy. You just need the right plum sauce to go along with them.

That's what a Chinese lady that I used to date told me once.

I am not fond of rats, and now, I am not fond of Chinese food. Thank you.

sandhurstdelta
04-14-2016, 08:32 AM
I am not fond of rats, and now, I am not fond of Chinese food. Thank you.

I am no longer fond of Chinese ladies. You are what you eat.

Mum's the word
04-18-2016, 03:31 AM
I feel bad about killing the rat. He was a smart rat whose only crime was the unfortunate bad luck of being caught and brought home by my cat. Usually the cat eats half and brings home the rest. This time for whatever reason the cat brought home the whole rat which was still alive.

Cats kill mice and rats. It's what they do. This is why the ancient Egyptians loved them and domesticated them. Now cats like dogs are our loving pets who share our lives and keep us company and amuse us with their antics.

I feel bad about killing things. But there was no choice. The rat was not leaving anytime soon, and the rat poison had doomed it to death anyway, and I had to get rid of it before my cat caught and ate it. The rat poison inside the rat would be lethal to my beloved kitty too.

Spearing fish with my fishing spear is always guilt free for me however. Since fish don't have arms and legs they don't evoke a humanist response in me. Same with grabbing lobster off the ocean floor -- no regrets.

But I felt bad for the rat, after the deed was done. It's the same feeling as walking up to a downed buck deer after shooting him through the chest. The hydrostatic force of the ultra high powered Canadian bear rifle kills it before it drops to the ground. But I still regret that I killed another mammal in order that I could eat. My dad warned me about this when I was 5 years old -- he said an animal had to die for us to be able to eat the meat -- therefore never waste food.

The rat was not food. It was just a potentially dangerous pest. And now it is dead.

There are plenty more rats out there. The only purpose for mice and rats is as food for owls, hawks, and cats. They are at the lower end of the food chain right after grains and plants. This poor rat died for nothing.

As a true philosopher you are always called to account for your own actions, and your conscience is your worst critic.

Many years ago in Grand Forks, ND, a rat charged at me outside a motel entrance. I stomped it to death. The night manager saw that and comped me the night's stay.
I felt bad, right up until I had cleaned the rat brains off my boots. Then it no longer bothered me.

My father taught us well, that there were only two reasons to kill an animal. One, for food, and to be thankful to The Almighty for putting that animal here for your meat, and to make sure it suffered as little as possible. The other reason was if an animal attacked you. Now, that came with a healthy dose of avoiding mother critters with young, of the idea of 'turf', and a few other concepts, but the bottom line was that if you were attacked, you prevailed, by whatever means necessary. Any animal, two legs, four legs, six, eight, none...you win, period. I had only one other time in my life been attacked I didn't ''deserve' it, by a snake when I lived back East, that turned out to be a Water Moccasin, female, and full of young. None were known that side of the Potomac, and they didn't get a foothold that day, either.

The other was that rat. I didn't check to see if it was female or nursing, all I knew was that it came after me (all I could think of was rabies at the time), so I stomped it, size 12, end of story. After carefully cleaning the goo off my boots, no regrets.

sandhurstdelta
04-18-2016, 10:36 PM
Killing should not be an easy thing for anybody, and everyone should be conscious enough of the right that every living thing has to live its life.

I don't even kill bugs anymore without a really good reason.

The exception is for any mosquito, tick, or flea -- which I will kill on sight no questions asked. Mosquitoes and fleas have killed more humans than any other animals besides humans themselves. They are vectors of deadly disease.

Dangerous spiders, such as black widows or brown recluses or anything that looks like them I will kill on sight too.

Rattlesnakes coiled in the middle of trails that I am hiking I will also kill if they don't take off immediatly. These present a major hazard to me on my return trip or to someone else along the trail. If the snake takes off into the grass I will let it go.

Unless I have a fishing or hunting license and tags specifically for any animal then I won't kill it. Buck deer, boar pigs, halibut, rock cod, ocean lings, abalone -- these are all animals that I hunt for food. I don't trophy hunt.

I have absolutely no regrets about killing when I hunt or fish because that is about food. But any needless killing makes me feel really bad about undertaking it.

The rat is gone now, and my feelings about it are gone by now too. But I will need to keep my spear handy and my jack knife always in my pocket in case my cat brings home yet another one.

I had the cat's claws trimmed today at the groomers, together with getting him a complete shampoo and haircut now that the weather is getting hot here in California. Until his claws grow back in he won't be catching anything for another couple of weeks.

Cats grow new claws that shed just like sharks' teeth. I have stepped on a few of these on the carpet and noticed how this works. They shed the whole nail when the claw sluffs off.

potlatch
04-18-2016, 10:55 PM
So butt-naked (I always sleep butt-naked -- lets your skin dry out at night) I got up and grabbed my high power bicycle flashlight on the chair by my bed where I always keep it at night, turned it on, and shined my way into the bathroom.

There was the rat, hiding behind the shower curtain inside the tub.

So I backtracked to get my fishing spear which was by the bedroom door for just such an event, and when the rat poked its nose out from under the curtain, I skewered his head to the floor of the tub. The rat screeched! Then he tried to somersault out of the impalement. Even though my spear point had gone right through is brain, he was still not dead.

However the only thing in reach was the toilet plunger and I could not let go of the spear. So I managed to use my knees together to unscrew the rubber head from the plunger, then I used the wooden dowel to crush the rat's skull while my spear kept it pinned to the ground.

1 dead rat.

My cat was watching intently, seeing that this is how humans kill things -- using spears (and toilet plungers).

Dear Lord, I just hope this doesn't show up on YOU-TUBE !!http://domania.us/Oaccess/SMILEYS/Thud.gif

sandhurstdelta
04-18-2016, 10:57 PM
It was all primordial -- cave man and his spear.