PDA

View Full Version : Off The Grid may Land You In JAIL regulations Target Off Grid Lifestyles

Karl
04-06-2016, 04:48 PM
Off-grid living is slowly and methodically being regulated out of existence by many local governments throughout the United States and Canada, an Off The Grid News analysis has found.

Although there certainly are places where living off the gird is perfectly legal, there also are quite a few locations in America and Canada where zoning regulations, building codes and other local ordinances are driving those who wish to live off the grid out of many communities.
OTGN examined laws and news stories from across North America and discovered glaring examples of government regulation:

1. Livestock regulations.
The city of Visalia, California, threatened Gingi Freeman with a $1,000-a-day fine for keeping two Nigerian Dwarf Goats – which are the size of small or medium-sized dogs — in her yard. Freeman used the goats to provide milk for her babies. The mother of two is unable to produce breast milk because of surgery she had as a teenager.

“My only options were to use formula or get breast milk from donors. There have been a couple times where we ran out of breast milk donations,” Freeman said.

Elsewhere, animal control officers seized three pygmy goats and six chickens from Dave and Sky Brown’s urban farm in the largely deserted Riverdale, Michigan, neighborhood in 2014. The officers were accompanied by police.

The animals were taken in an effort to enforce an ordinance against unlawful farm animals. At the time of the seizure, Sky Brown was worried that the animals could be killed by authorities.

The Browns were particularly upset because an animal control officer used a net to catch the chickens before they were put in crates and taken away.

“There are gun shots every night,” Brown wrote of her neighborhood. “There are meth addicts blowing up houses within blocks of us, and the city of Detroit finds it more relevant to rip screaming pets out of the hands of their devastated owners.”

3 Shocking Ways Off-Grid Living Is Being Slowly Banned In America (And Canada)
Image source: Pixabay.com

Disturbingly, it could be illegal to keep livestock even on rural property in some parts of Michigan. The state’s Commission of Agriculture and Rural Development ruled in 2014 that local governments have the right to ban livestock from any area zoned residential.

that would include subdivisions outside the city limits.

The action will “effectively remove Right to Farm Act protection for many urban and suburban backyard farmers raising small numbers of animals,” Gail Philbin of the Michigan Sierra Club told Michigan Live. The Right to Farm Act is a state law that protects farmers from nuisance lawsuits and zoning regulations.

2. Utility regulations.

Simply refusing to connect to utilities is now illegal and punishable by fines or even evictions in many places. Some people have been told they cannot live in their own homes because they refuse to connect to utilities.

Robin Speronis of Cape Coral, Florida, was evicted from her own home by city officials. Her offense: She was not hooked up to the city’s water system.

Speronis was cited by a code enforcement officer after she told a local television that she was living without utilities. Interestingly, city officials admitted that Speronis did not have to use the water simply; she simply needed to be connected.

Even the magistrate who initially upheld Speronis’ conviction acknowledged that the case was irrational. (Listen to an interview with Speronis here.)

“Reasonableness and code requirements don’t always go hand-in-hand … given societal and technical changes (that) requires review of code ordinances,” Special Magistrate Harold S. Eskin said.

Speronis was not alone. Officials in Clark’s Harbour, Nova Scotia, refused to grant Cheryl Smith a certificate of occupancy for her new home because it did not have wiring for smoke detectors and ventilation systems. The home violated a building code that requires such a setup.

3 Shocking Ways Off-Grid Living Is Being Slowly Banned In America (And Canada)

A refusal to install smoke detectors almost got an off-grid Amish family evicted from their home in Eau Claire County, Wisconsin.

Wisconsin Watchdog reported that Amos and Vera Borntreger had to retain a lawyer and go to court to keep county inspectors from evicting them and their six children from their home.

The couple had refused to install smoke detectors because such devices violate their Amish faith.

The smoke detectors were mandated by the Uniform Dwelling Code or UDC, a common national building code.

A judge actually issued the eviction order, which was later retracted.

“Eau Claire County has the unfortunate distinction of being the only county in the United States that has used placard eviction to put an Amish family out of their home,” said David Mortimer, the spokesman for the local chapter of the National Committee for Amish Religious Freedom.... JustPassinThru...

Meanwhile, using a septic tank is banned in some areas, as North Carolina resident Ingrid Larsen discovered. The Southeast Brunswick Sanitary District would not let Larsen use a septic tank because there already is a sewer line near her property. (Listen to an interview with Larsen here.)

Larsen refused to use the sewer system because in 2005 a sewage pumping station failed and caused 10,000 gallons of human waste to flood her home. The waste was so toxic that her home had to be demolished.

3. Gardening banned.

Even growing a vegetable garden can lead to expensive fines and harassment from authorities.

Hermine Ricketts and her husband, Tom Carroll, were given a choice of tearing out their 17-year-old organic vegetable garden or face a $50-a-day fine. Officials in Miami Shores, Florida, ordered the garden torn out for aesthetic reasons; it was in the front yard.

“We are already feeling the impact of shopping for overpriced organic food,” Ricketts told The Miami Herald.

The city eventually backed down.

Jennifer and Jason Helvenston of Orlando, faced a $500-a-day fine, also for planting a vegetable garden in their front yard. The home lacks a back yard.

The two had to lobby the city council with a petition to get the ordinance overturned. They also organized a movement called Patriot Garden, which encouraged residents to plant radishes in their front yards as an act of civil disobedience.

Elsewhere, Julie Bass of Oak Park, Michigan, was threatened with a 93-day jail sentence for planting a vegetable garden in her own front yard in 2011, ABC News reported.

Bass faced jail for planting green tomatoes, zucchini and baby peppers in five large planters outside of her home in a Detroit suburb. She had permission from her neighbors to install the planters.

“Michelle Obama plants vegetables on the White House front lawn. I don’t think the jury is going to think that it’s suitable for the White House, but it’s not suitable for Oak Park,” Bass’ attorney, Solomon Radner, told ABC News.

Josťe Landry and Michel Beauchamp faced a fine of $100 to $300 a day for turning the front yard of their home in Drummondville, Quebec, into a vegetable garden.

The couple credited the garden for helping them lose a combined 100 pounds in weight. City officials demanded that the two tear out 70 percent of the garden to comply with a zoning ordinance, or face the fines.

The ordinance required that 70 percent of the front yard be a lawn or a flower garden.

Officials backed down after 29,000 people signed a petition created by gardening advocate Roger Doiron, The Huffington Post reported.

What is your reaction to this story? Which side do you take? Share your thoughts in the section below:

Are You Prepared For A Downed Grid? Read More Here..

© Copyright Off The Grid News

3 Shocking Ways Off-Grid Living Is Slowly Being Banned In America (And Canada) | Off The Grid News (http://www.offthegridnews.com/current-events/3-shocking-ways-off-grid-living-is-slowly-being-banned-in-america-and-canada/)

Rickity Plumber
04-06-2016, 04:53 PM
And the likes of Hillary and that other old codger are backed by millions of brain dead libs who keep voting crap like this in.

sandhurstdelta
04-06-2016, 04:55 PM
People have complained about zoning regulations for decades. Nothing has changed.

The idea behind zoning is to protect the residents of the neighborhood as well as normal businesses in the block from dangerous or extravagant activities.

Makes sense, no ??

RMNIXON
04-06-2016, 04:56 PM
Off the Grid goes hand in hand with less personal control, less local community control, and more Government at every turn.

So I guess you people have some serious choices to make.

And please don't try to sell me the False Libertarians of absolute freedom to do as I choose, then be taken care of by Government based upon the consequences of my foolishness.

Who needs more idiots who would actually vote Bernie Sanders and think their liberty intact! :geez:

Karl
04-06-2016, 05:09 PM
Off the Grid goes hand in hand with less personal control, less local community control, and more Government at every turn.

So I guess you people have some serious choices to make.

And please don't try to sell me the False Libertarians of absolute freedom to do as I choose, then be taken care of by Government based upon the consequences of my foolishness.

Who needs more idiots who would actually vote Bernie Sanders and think their liberty intact! :geez:

The Bernie Sanders support has more to do with Economic Desperation.....

When roughly HALF of Working AMERICANS are living Paycheck 2 Paycheck in 2016 is it any WONDER that Bernie Sanders has APPEAL...

The SAME can also be said about the Donald Trump phenomena...

Sorry RMNIXON but CONSERVATIVES/Libertarians have "Supported" every TRADE DEAL.....CHEERS for "AUTOMATION"..... and supports any other form of WAGE " suppression "

In "essence" the RIGHT had better LEARN to ATLEAST start PASSING the SALT or at this Rate we will have a Universal Income in about another 20 years......and a MAJORITY will have VOTED for IT..

Katzndogz
04-06-2016, 05:15 PM
Most of these complaints are booogggguuuus. The only time you must have a smoke detector is when the house is for sale or a rental.

Check regulations. Most areas will not allow a vegetable garden in the front yard. Although, there is a woman in Laguna Hills that has a very elaborate flower garden in her front yard. Interspersed among the flowers are vegetables cleverly disguised as ground cover.

Kodiak
04-06-2016, 05:32 PM
They can't control you if you are off grid. Well, besides taxing you to death or throwing you in jail.

Corruptbuddha
04-06-2016, 05:35 PM
A little common sense goes a LONG way on many of these things.

You can get off the grid any time you want. Growing a garden in the front yard or raising chickens isn't exactly 'going off the grid'.

michaelr
04-06-2016, 05:36 PM
You'll eat Monsanto foods from corporate farms. Pay exorbitant rates for electricity. Drink chemically and metal laced water. Any deviations will be punishable by prison and the loss of assets.

It's called freedom.

Corruptbuddha
04-06-2016, 05:37 PM
You'll eat Monsanto foods from corporate farms. Pay exorbitant rates for electricity. Drink chemically and metal laced water. Any deviations will be punishable by prison and the loss of assets.

It's called freedom.

And yet live to 80 or so.

Damnable, isn't it?

Karl
04-06-2016, 05:39 PM

It's called freedom.

yes..yes. . yes....& ..."YES"

Karl
04-06-2016, 05:44 PM

Damnable, isn't it?

Actually our ANCESTORS were FAR more HEALTHIER and "hearty" though at "That" Time things like "Diptheria" and even a small cut created GANGgreen because well No Science and lack of Technology..

Infact Corruptbuddha.. years Ago the HISTORY CHANNEL had a series called "Wild West TECH...

The treatment for SYPHYLISS on the PLAINS was to INJECT raw " Mercury " into your "Pecker"

michaelr
04-06-2016, 05:54 PM

Damnable, isn't it?

Oh good grief, no wonder you're voting for Cruz. You're just a liberal statist, just like he is.

Karl
04-06-2016, 05:57 PM
Uh Trinnity I "forgot" the LINK earlier but I beat ya 2 it...

Ain't "Bullcrap" nor Plagarism....REALLY

3 Shocking Ways Off-Grid Living Is Slowly Being Banned In America (And Canada) | Off The Grid News (http://www.offthegridnews.com/current-events/3-shocking-ways-off-grid-living-is-slowly-being-banned-in-america-and-canada/)

Karl
04-06-2016, 06:05 PM
A little common sense goes a LONG way on many of these things.

You can get off the grid any time you want. Growing a garden in the front yard or raising chickens isn't exactly 'going off the grid'.

Okay how about "self suffiency" and Lest we not FORGET a "tiny" LITTLE thingy known as "Property Rights"

Last I had checked ....Supposedly "guarennteed" within the CONSTITUTION

DeadEye
04-06-2016, 06:14 PM
Well, when the HEMP goes off then we will all be living off grid. Permaculture gardening is the way to go and the government offers tax incentives to go solar or wind. Water, the key to living off grid, is a must have so it would be prudent to figure out how you will get it without electricity.

Corruptbuddha
04-06-2016, 06:18 PM
Actually our ANCESTORS were FAR more HEALTHIER and "hearty" though at "That" Time things like "Diptheria" and even a small cut created GANGgreen because well No Science and lack of Technology..

Infact @Corruptbuddha (http://thepoliticsforums.com/member.php?u=754).. years Ago the HISTORY CHANNEL had a series called "Wild West TECH...

The treatment for SYPHYLISS on the PLAINS was to INJECT raw " Mercury " into your "Pecker"

YIKES!

But seriously, we've never lived longer, on the whole, than we do now.

Corruptbuddha
04-06-2016, 06:20 PM
Oh good grief, no wonder you're voting for Cruz. You're just a liberal statist, just like he is.

LOL...you make me laugh!

Mostly because you're a nut....and I DIG THAT ABOUT YOU MAN!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-tdJzCSfhg

michaelr
04-06-2016, 06:21 PM
YIKES!

But seriously, we've never lived longer, on the whole, than we do now.

Bull, but that's fine. We've never had as much cancer, diabetes, obesity, autism, and ajust plain sick and and malnourished population either. Not to mention stupid!!

Corruptbuddha
04-06-2016, 06:21 PM
Okay how about "self suffiency" and Lest we not FORGET a "tiny" LITTLE thingy known as "Property Rights"

Last I had checked ....Supposedly "guarennteed" within the CONSTITUTION

Dude...do you want the guy across the street from you raising corn in his yard?

Do you have any idea what that does to property value and curb appeal?

Can we get back to the REAL world for just a second?

michaelr
04-06-2016, 06:23 PM
LOL...you make me laugh!

Mostly because you're a nut....and I DIG THAT ABOUT YOU MAN!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-tdJzCSfhg

You shouldn't insult anyone liberal. You advocated Monsanto or prison. If you don't see that as statism, well, perhaps you should lay off Monsanto foods.

Corruptbuddha
04-06-2016, 06:23 PM
Bull, but that's fine. We've never had as much cancer, diabetes, obesity, autism, and ajust plain sick and and malnourished population either. Not to mention stupid!!

This is a time slice of about 80 years or so.

As a species, we've NEVER had it so good.

michaelr
04-06-2016, 06:26 PM

This is a time slice of about 80 years or so.

As a species, we've NEVER had it so good.

Calculated with the child mortality rate. Once you remove thay you'll see that we live about the same.

You liberal statists need your government charts. They're usually fudged, like the unemployment rate they usually show small parts of the whole.

Corruptbuddha
04-06-2016, 06:28 PM
Calculated with the child mortality rate. Once you remove thay you'll see that we live about the same.

You liberal statists need your government charts. They're usually fudged, like the unemployment rate they usually show small parts of the whole.

And....

michaelr
04-06-2016, 06:29 PM
And....

Is the best you got, someone elses picture is your point? Damn liberals.

JustPassinThru
04-06-2016, 06:30 PM
What would you like me to do about this, Karl? I left Eau Claire over two years ago; and I only lived there two years.

There's plenty wrong with just about everywhere. Nirvana doesn't exist. I support individual rights; but I cannot help liking a place where it's safe to walk in the park after sundown; where in fact they have after-dark concerts in those parks, and without fistfights or racial altercations or disorder or drunks squatting in the shrubs, or any of that.

michaelr
04-06-2016, 06:32 PM
I know the thread isn't just about Monsanto, but this still fits.

The smart food manufacturers are moving away from Frankinfoods, fast!!

Tidal wave of food manufacturers switching to sunflower oil to avoid toxic GMO corn, soy and canola oils (http://investmentwatchblog.com/tidal-wave-of-food-manufacturers-switching-to-sunflower-oil-to-avoid-toxic-gmo-corn-soy-and-canola-oils/)

Monsanto is a pet project of the CFR and other fascists, including Soros and his puppets and their minions. Nothing like a good fight!!

Corruptbuddha
04-06-2016, 06:33 PM
Is the best you got, someone elses picture is your point? Damn liberals.

LOL...don't get mad..it's all in good fun.

Uhm, when you get a chance...can you scratch my name off that People I Want to Shoot list?

Katzndogz
04-06-2016, 06:55 PM
If you want to live off the grid, go someplace where you can. People who think they can go off grid in the city or suburbs are wacky. No one wants your outhouse next door. Not that they want to live off grid, but my landlord decided to raise chickens. Hey, I'm an animal lover. The chickies don't bother me. But, where feed is scattered, comes mice then comes fat rats. Keep your off grid someplace appropriate.

JustPassinThru
04-06-2016, 07:26 PM
If you want to live off the grid, go someplace where you can. People who think they can go off grid in the city or suburbs are wacky. No one wants your outhouse next door. Not that they want to live off grid, but my landlord decided to raise chickens. Hey, I'm an animal lover. The chickies don't bother me. But, where feed is scattered, comes mice then comes fat rats. Keep your off grid someplace appropriate.

I lived in Houston 35 years ago, at a time when they had no zoning. There were weird and unhappy coexistances - dirty bookstores on the same block as public schools; churches near liquor stores; bodegas in the middle of residential blocks.

My neighbor kept chickens. This was on a city lot - the smell was intense. On a farm or rural tract, the coop could be downwind, and the odors dissapated before they reached the property line. When the chickens are in a garage, and garage right up against the property line, and all of it packed in...it reeked.

Nobody was overly concerned. North Houston was becoming barrio even before becoming completely developed. In fact, some areas had gone Mexico before even being built up...development STOPPED, dead. No money in it.

But the mostly-Mexican neighbors were used to grody smells - as anyone who's been to Tijuana can testify. And white folks were finding other places to be.

But...that's what comes of no controls.

Midgardian
04-07-2016, 02:13 AM
Larsen refused to use the sewer system because in 2005 a sewage pumping station failed and caused 10,000 gallons of human waste to flood her home. The waste was so toxic that her home had to be demolished.

That sounds really shitty.

Mum's the word
04-08-2016, 09:47 AM
Actually, my grandparents lived to an average age of 89 1/2 eating food grown in gardens and on their farm, eating beef, chickens, and pork that had been grown by them or another relative, plenty of wild game and seafood either they or a relative had harvested. My parents are in their 80s, and none of my siblings nor I are on any medication in our 60s. All have had a similar diet. We drank water from an artesian well as kids, and generally drink filtered or distilled water now.

Considering the number of people in my age group who are taking some sort of medication--or more than one on a daily basis, who have had major medical issues (not to mention the ones who are already dead who would have been my age), I'll pass on the GMOs and chemical laced water, thanks.

Mum's the word
04-08-2016, 09:51 AM

Infact @Corruptbuddha (http://thepoliticsforums.com/member.php?u=754).. years Ago the HISTORY CHANNEL had a series called "Wild West TECH...

Well, now. syphilis was avoidable, too.

Mum's the word
04-08-2016, 10:05 AM
Dude...do you want the guy across the street from you raising corn in his yard?

Do you have any idea what that does to property value and curb appeal?

Can we get back to the REAL world for just a second?

LOL--It's his yard! Have at! That is the real world. The real world wouldn't waste resources growing grass to look like astroturf and nothing to eat. The whole houses in a row with perfectly manicured carpets of green in and around them is the fabrication.

It is all the pretensiousness of small towns who think their property values are magically going to go to the high six figures for an ordinary 1800 sq ft house if they just are perfect lawn nazis that crack me up. But, but, if the values go up, then the same folks who make the rules can tax you more and give themselves a raise for increasing revenue!

I didn't buy my property to kiss my neighbors' asses, I bought it to please me. I grew up on a farm, and that is part of my heritage, as well as what made the whole settlement of this region possible or even remotely attractive. There is no HOA, and I would not live in one as I see them as the most insidious of tyrannies perpetrated by frustrated former junior high school hall monitor types. Take a little person, give them a little stroke, and you can end up with a big asshole.

If I want to grow food on my land, however small that parcel may be, that is one of the uses the Good Lord made that soil for. If my neighbor wants to grow food on his land, more power to him. If he gets his jollies by having every blade of grass oriented just so and within a half inch of the other blades of grass in height, fine with me--just don't impose that stricture on me, and I won't complain about his lack of corn crop.

Toefoot
04-08-2016, 10:07 AM
Screw 'em and the regulations. Do what it takes to become as self sufficient as possible.

JustPassinThru
04-08-2016, 10:59 AM
Actually, my grandparents lived to an average age of 89 1/2 eating food grown in gardens and on their farm, eating beef, chickens, and pork that had been grown by them or another relative, plenty of wild game and seafood either they or a relative had harvested. My parents are in their 80s, and none of my siblings nor I are on any medication in our 60s. All have had a similar diet. We drank water from an artesian well as kids, and generally drink filtered or distilled water now.

Considering the number of people in my age group who are taking some sort of medication--or more than one on a daily basis, who have had major medical issues (not to mention the ones who are already dead who would have been my age), I'll pass on the GMOs and chemical laced water, thanks.

And one anecdotal case proves nothing. SOME people did live to be eighty or older, even 250 years ago.

And some did not. My grandfather died at 42 - of the FLU. Yup...what would be a miserable week for us today was a death sentence to him in 1936.

My mother would have died in her sixties from a complicated respiratory problem which manifested as asthma. Came from mold - which came from her habit of raking leaves in the fall; something she didn't do until we kids were all grown up and out of the house. She found yardwork relaxing. But she was vulnerable to the mold of decomposing tree leaves.

The bottom line is, anything after age 50 is a crapshoot. The body, its systems, start falling down. Some resist it well, and into their nineties; we all have stories. Many more do not. MOST people have medical issues by age 65; and many would kill them or grossly compromise their lives without modern medicine.

And yes, there ARE some physicians who overprescribe. Who reach for the RX pad immediately. I think it's less payola and corruption than it is their training; I have found it more in young physicians.

And while I think it's good planning to get off the grid, I don't see it as preferable to modern living. There is a difference between USING modern conveniences and becoming hopelessly dependent on them.

Katzndogz
04-08-2016, 12:51 PM
People who want to have their gardens and grow their own food should be able to do just that. Not everywhere however. Those who do not wish to be subjected to the results of someone else's gardening or livestock should absolutely be able to live with people who think just like they do.

My son moved to an HOA controlled community because of the restrictions. There sre TWO HOAs. You can't plant flowers in your front yard until the color of the blossoms has been approved as harmonious.

I spend a few days there a couple of times a year. After living in Los Angeles, it is like heaven.

Northern Rivers
04-10-2016, 04:44 AM

Considering the number of people in my age group who are taking some sort of medication--or more than one on a daily basis, who have had major medical issues (not to mention the ones who are already dead who would have been my age), I'll pass on the GMOs and chemical laced water, thanks.Yep. It's really evident here in Oz. Our beach scene sorta guarantees it. With land quite cheap...everyone grows everything. 23M live here...but we have a massive food export industry...we can feed 90M.

QuaseMarco
04-10-2016, 06:34 AM

Bingo!