PDA

View Full Version : Fire starting categorized by the conditions and methods

Pregnar Kraps
04-06-2016, 01:31 PM
What different kinds of conditions of fire starting are there?

Night

Day

Sunny

Windy

Humid/Rain/Snow/Hail/Icy

Hot

Cold

There may be more that I'm forgetting.

Each condition might require a certain kind of fire starting method and fire starting materials.

Do I have the materials and knowledge to assure myself a fire under any and every condition?

Doubtful.

I have Bic lighters. Ferro rods. A solar mirror lighter. A magnifying lens. Batteries and wire. High carbon knife blade and flint.

I have watched videos on starting fire with a bow drill and by friction rolling wood ashes in cotton.

I may get stormproof matches as well as a fire piston.

Pregnar Kraps
04-06-2016, 04:23 PM
But what else is needed besides the actual ignition source?

Tinder. And fuel.

At sea, tinder and fuel will be at a premium if available at all.

At night, in cloudy conditions and/or in rain or storms the solar mirror or the magnifying lens will be inadequate.

In wet conditions only dry tinder or special wet/dry commercial or DIY tinder preparations will work.

Pregnar Kraps
04-06-2016, 04:41 PM
Tinder - I have dry cotton balls, Vaseline smeared cotton balls, jute twine, pressed fibre board chemical impregnated fireplace starter sticks and a box of 200 alcohol prep pads. There are other natural or improvised man made tinder sources that could be used if needed. (Shock cord, char cloth, fatwood, chaga or fungus, feather sticks and etc.)

Pregnar Kraps
04-06-2016, 04:55 PM
Fuel - Aside from dry natural forest material I have little fuel that could sustain a fire for very long.

I have a qt. of denatured alcohol for a tuna can home made alcohol stove. I have a litre of vegetable oil which can sustain a fire. But I need a container to put these volatile liquids in for my BOB.

What other fuels are there?

Would some fuels be better suited for certain conditions?

In the rain or snow I would use my knife to open up dead tree branches or trunks to access the dry wood within.

I would use the longest duration tinder to try to dry out and ignite slightly dampened fuel.

Toefoot
04-10-2016, 04:46 PM
9v small battery and steel wool when in a pinch, have some set aside. Steel wool even dunked in a glass of water will ignite and start a fire.