PDA

View Full Version : Fire Starting: A rock striking a high carbon steel knife blade

Pregnar Kraps
01-23-2016, 06:06 PM
Fire Starting: A rock striking a high carbon steel knife blade

In my many years on Earth I've somehow missed knowing about this most elemental method of starting a fire by using, apparently, most any rock to strike the edge of a high carbon steel knife blade to create sparks.

This is the legendary Dave Canterbury.

He is da man!

http://youtu.be/ZpNQS6CX7FA

Calypso Jones FYI.

Hillofbeans
01-23-2016, 06:12 PM
That's not enlightening, it's rudimentary. Flint, it was around long before any knife, friction, long before flint.

Rutabaga
01-23-2016, 06:13 PM
we were taught this in boy scouts....

most knives today are stainless steel...

a high carbon blade is expensive, prone to rust/corrode but takes an edge so sharp it will cut you just looking at it...

the older blades were carbon steel.....

a flint and striker is around 2 bucks and lasts decades..

Calypso Jones
01-23-2016, 09:13 PM
I've been reading something about a terracotta pot, some nuts and bolts and a tea light. Rudimentary but effective heater for small space. Not necessarily something you can carry on your person though.

Pregnar Kraps
01-23-2016, 11:59 PM
That's not enlightening, it's rudimentary. Flint, it was around long before any knife, friction, long before flint.

You know how certain things just slip between the cracks of your adult consideration?

When I was a kid I heard about flint lock muskets and I knew they created a spark to ignite the black powder but I've never thought about it since then because I don't know how to identify flint nor do I know where it might be found.

But nowhere have I ever heard of a regular rock being struck against a HIGH CARBON STEEL knife blade to generate sparks.

In my BOB I must have six DIFFERENT methods of starting a fire but never knew that my choice of knife might give me yet ANOTHER method!

Be nice to me please.

Thank you.

:thumbsup20:

Pregnar Kraps
01-24-2016, 12:04 AM
I've been reading something about a terracotta pot, some nuts and bolts and a tea light. Rudimentary but effective heater for small space. Not necessarily something you can carry on your person though.

Yeah, C.J.

I saw that done on a YouTube video and thought it was the coolest thing!

Pardon my failure to make a pun of that.

http://youtu.be/nzKbFzUEWkA

http://youtu.be/b11dqKJrulk

JustPassinThru
01-24-2016, 12:16 AM

a high carbon blade is expensive, prone to rust/corrode but takes an edge so sharp it will cut you just looking at it...

We were supposed to learn that in the scouts.

I remember our patrol working with a drill and plate and bow and tinder for HOURS.

And then watching the Scoutmasters watching us, bemused, for a time.

Then I saw how THEY started THEIR private little fire in front of their camper.

Railroad flare. If that didn't work, a splash of gasoline.

That was about the time I started to see how the world really worked.

You might say that was when I fell off the turnip truck...

Pregnar Kraps
01-24-2016, 12:18 AM

I have three ferrocerium rods.

Lighters. Matches. Magnifying glass. Solar lighter. I have read and watched dozens of examples of how to create a bow drill. I've got batteries and wire and steel wool.

I started a thread in this forum featuring how to use ashes from wood fires tightly rolled up in cotton balls and given enough friction it will create sparks.

Now, it's a high carbon blade.

This isn't a dick measuring contest nor a pissing contest.

:smiley20:

Pregnar Kraps
01-24-2016, 12:19 AM

I have three ferrocerium rods.

Lighters. Matches. Magnifying glass. Solar lighter. I have read and watched dozens of examples of how to create a bow drill. I've got batteries and wire and steel wool.

I started a thread in this forum featuring how to use ashes from wood fires tightly rolled up in cotton balls and given enough friction it will create sparks.

Now, it's a high carbon blade.

To some of the posters, this isn't a dick measuring contest nor a pissing contest.

:smiley20:

Calypso Jones
01-24-2016, 07:26 PM
all super information to know.

Trinnity
01-25-2016, 02:37 AM
They get too hot to even touch if you need to "put them out" in a hurry. Very dangerous. I'll pass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnna1PAakV4