PDA

View Full Version : A .22 with some teeth.

Gemini
05-02-2013, 08:44 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPzBuznJHCM

Saw it, liked it, but ammo availability is something I question for the pseudo .22 aspect of it. It also fires 9mm with an additional barrel that comes with it. Neat.

But the ballistics test was made with home made gel, and it didn't include other factors like clothing.

Salt to taste as always.

usfan
05-03-2013, 07:32 AM
Very interesting.. just what i need.. another round! I'm not sure of the point.. it won't have a lot of knockdown for self defense, & i can't see it taking the place of 9mm for the global police force. The pistol is too big for concealed carry.. might as well carry a full size 1911. But you do get 17 rounds.. like a glock 17 in 9mm, except bigger.

So, other than that, it sounds like a cool idea. The optional barrel is a good idea, too. Ammo is going to be expensive for a while.. but it is now for everything, anyway.

Thanks for the review post, Gem!

Common
05-03-2013, 09:14 AM
Im looking at this and asking myself what purpose would it serve to go from 9mm down to 22. I personally would never carry or keep a 22 as protection and what else is a pistol for.
I can see 9mm to 40 cal or different variations of the larger cal as more practical. For myself a one calibre gun is what I need, If I need another caliber ill buy another gun :)

Gemini
05-03-2013, 09:18 AM
Im looking at this and asking myself what purpose would it serve to go from 9mm down to 22. I personally would never carry or keep a 22 as protection and what else is a pistol for.
I can see 9mm to 40 cal or different variations of the larger cal as more practical. For myself a one calibre gun is what I need, If I need another caliber ill buy another gun :)

Ammunition versatility is all I can think of.

But the .22 LCM round made a mess of the ballistic gel though. And travels wicked fast for a handgun. This .22 variant *might* be a tolerable self defense round, but personally, I'll always be partial to the .357 or the .45. They have a pretty good track record to putting people down when they need to be put down. Common

Common
05-03-2013, 09:54 AM
Ammunition versatility is all I can think of.

But the .22 LCM round made a mess of the ballistic gel though. And travels wicked fast for a handgun. This .22 variant *might* be a tolerable self defense round, but personally, I'll always be partial to the .357 or the .45. They have a pretty good track record to putting people down when they need to be put down. @Common (http://thepoliticsforums.com/member.php?u=161)

I agree im a 357 and 40 cal guy. First rule of self defense do it right the first time. 22 doesnt interest me at all.
Im recently getting back into pistols and Im actively looking for one now for carry. Im lefty and although I can fire and use a right handed pistol <glock 40> Its so much easier to use and more fluid to have all ambidextrous controls, Saftey, mag and slide. Theres now a few models to choose from. I had a HK in my hand the other day 1400.00 my wife was with me and gave me a look like you gotta be kidding me. The dealer saw it and said to her you can always buy a 2,000 lindsey lohan purse, I said WHOA WHOA do you want to sell me a gun or send me running. Anyway thats more than Ill spend on a handgun.
Im looking for the ruger sr9c, beretta p4 storm, walther ppq and the sigsauer p250, SW makes ambi MPs. I cant find a single one of them to hold in my hand, they get them in and they are either ordered or on hold. I will not buy a handgun that I dont hold and feel.

usfan
05-03-2013, 10:12 AM
I'm sure ballistically it is fine.. but like you said, knockdown power is there with the larger calibers. A 9mm is pretty minimal in that regard. I have a 22mag pistol, & it is loud & has good ballistics.. it also has a 30 (!) round mag. It's smaller than a 1911. I'd probably rather carry it than this new one.. but i'm all for innovation.

I have a ruger lcr in 38spl for my 'carry piece', which i don't carry very often. And if i want to protect from rina or other grizzlies, i've got a 44mag with 7.5" bbl! You just don't want to carry it.. and there is no way to conceal it.

I've never needed it, & hope to never need it in the future. But if i do, i expect 5 shots in the lcr to be enough to scare off any would be thugs. Now, if we're getting into apocolyptic measures, i'd better stick with a rifle.

All the fragmentation would make it good for warfare, if the geneva convention allowed it. But i guess our govt could issue them to kill citizens.. long & slow, like they like to do it.

Mister D
05-03-2013, 10:15 AM
If self or home defense is your concern I would advise against a .22 for the reason given above but they are fun to play around with.

Common
05-03-2013, 10:23 AM
If self or home defense is your concern I would advise against a .22 for the reason given above but they are fun to play around with.

For me a 22 calibre is for a teenage son in his rural backyard with his dad shooting cans

Mister D
05-03-2013, 10:26 AM
For me a 22 calibre is for a teenage son in his rural backyard with his dad shooting cans

Exactly. Plinking is a lot of fun. My buddy has a bolt action and a semi-auto .22. I only have 12 gauges but I enjoy shooting his .22s. No kick and you really don't even need ear plugs.

usfan
05-03-2013, 10:31 AM
I like a 22. I shoot mine a lot, & if i go squirrel hunting, it is with a 22. My most accurate pistol is a ruger mkiii hunter, 22 w/ 6-7/8" bbl. No other pistol in any caliber is more accurate up to 50 yds. Now if i need to shoot a moose at 100 yds, i'd go with the 44mag.. but even that is a bit far.

Most of my shooting is plinking, anyway. I like a 22 for that. The current shortage of 22 ammo is weird.. but i've got enough for a while. I reload the other calibers, so it's not that expensive to shoot the others. But 22 is still the cheapest & best all around caliber for any survival situation. I tell people if they only want one gun, get a shotgun, preferably a 12ga. After that, a 22. Anything after that makes you an aficionado. :D