PDA

View Full Version : Can you be a good person

Maximatic
05-01-2013, 09:23 PM
and a cop at the same time?

This may not be as easy to answer as you think. Some cops, like Common, are pretty pro freedom, which would make philosophically opposed to much of what states do. They may personally oppose some laws, but the job requires that they enforce those laws anyway, I don't know of any, but I suppose there could be some cops who are absolute voluntarists.

Now if a law is unjust, and you help to enforce it, I'm pretty sure you're doing something wrong. Now, this all depends on how you define a good person, of course, but if one routinely initiates force against peaceful people, people who haven't initiated force against anyone else or defrauded anyone, just because his employer requires it of him isn't it a bit of a stretch to say such a one is a good person?

It seems like it would be pretty hard to be an agent of the state and a voluntarist. Some people have argued that legislation creates a moral duty, but, of course, that's just a crazy stretch of imagination. Can anyone make an argument to show how it's possible to be justified in being an agent of an unjust state?

Common
05-01-2013, 09:43 PM
No police chief of commissioner ever told his officers to initiate violence against anyone unless it was called for under the rules and regulations.
Everyone has cellphones and cameras. If all the conspiratists were right about all their rants and the gestapo police there would be hundreds of youtubes a week. The truth is very simple, cops are always under a microscope and on trial.

There is approx 1 million law enforcement officers it is fair to say approx 300,000 are on duty at one time. Each 12 hour shift on the street a policer officer has a minimum of multiple interactions with citizens. There are thousands of arrests.
Serious breechs of trust by police are a minimum. Of course the conspiratists believe one out of every two arrests is because some insane gestapo cop is trying to take someones FREEEEE DUMB. They dont even pay attention to all that, they only worry about getting home to their wives husbands and kids.

Are there bad cops? Yup, are they bad lawyers, doctors, It managers, Stock Brokers, Iron workers, Farm hands, you get the idea.

Maximatic
05-01-2013, 09:54 PM
No police chief of commissioner ever told his officers to initiate violence against anyone unless it was called for under the rules and regulations.
Everyone has cellphones and cameras. If all the conspiratists were right about all their rants and the gestapo police there would be hundreds of youtubes a week. The truth is very simple, cops are always under a microscope and on trial.

There is approx 1 million law enforcement officers it is fair to say approx 300,000 are on duty at one time. Each 12 hour shift on the street a policer officer has a minimum of multiple interactions with citizens. There are thousands of arrests.
Serious breechs of trust by police are a minimum. Of course the conspiratists believe one out of every two arrests is because some insane gestapo cop is trying to take someones FREEEEE DUMB. They dont even pay attention to all that, they only worry about getting home to their wives husbands and kids.

Are there bad cops? Yup, are they bad lawyers, doctors, It managers, Stock Brokers, Iron workers, Farm hands, you get the idea.

That's not what I meant. When I say initiate force, there, I mean it in the sense of introducing force or the threat of force into a situation. In that sense, the state initiates force when it writes some legislation, then the cops, as agents of the state, carry that force through when they confront someone who they believe to have violated the legislation. I'm saying that a cop could do that every day, for his entire career, without once running afoul of the rules the state imposes on him, and yet be violating moral law on a routine basis because the legislation that he is charged with enforcing is criminal.