View Full Version : What A SHTF scenario Might Look Like At First

Karl
07-14-2015, 09:08 PM
During a heat wave in 1977 a massive blackout hit NYC and Chaos ensued

Tonight American Experience On PBS is doing a Documentary on it

http://video.pbs.org/video/2365517907/

Karl
07-14-2015, 09:09 PM
The New York City blackout of July 1977 is a big subject. On Tuesday night, the PBS (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/organizations/p/public_broadcasting_service/index.html?inline=nyt-org) series “American Experience” gives it only an hour, which isn’t enough.

The blackout (http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/07/09/remembering-the-77-blackout/) resulted in a night of looting and arson that shocked the city and the rest of the country. Any New Yorker over the age of about 45 doesn’t need to be told that, but younger ones (especially any using the relatively uneventful blackout of 2003 (http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/history_lesson/2003/08/where_have_all_the_looters_gone.html) as a gauge) might have a hard time grasping the scope of what went on during that chaotic 25 hours, beginning at 9:34 p.m. on July 13.

For them, this program (http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/films/blackout/) might be eye-opening. But it is content to hit on fairly familiar sociological points, about how the blackout occurred during a glum economic period, about how the crimes committed can be read as a cry of rage from the disenfranchised.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/14/arts/television/review-blackout-when-new-york-plunged-into-darkness-then-chaos-in-1977.html

Karl
07-14-2015, 09:15 PM
Darn it this was supposed to go into "Doomsday Preppers".... Trinnity or Calypso Jones

thanks in advance

Rutabaga
07-15-2015, 12:23 AM
more evidence of feral humans taking advantage of circumstance...

when i lose power, i start my back-up generator...instead of looking for people to rob, rape and kill....but thats just me..in nyc they do things differently...

2cent
07-15-2015, 03:07 PM

when i lose power, i start my back-up generator...instead of looking for people to rob, rape and kill....but thats just me..in nyc they do things differently...
No kidding. A lousy 25 hours sends them over the cliff of decency. Try 3 weeks. And guess what? Those in MO and AR who went through it DIDN'T cry for gov't help. It was the last thing we needed or wanted.

Time was, when the power went out, you just automatically took the frozen jugs of water out of the freezer and set them in the fridge to keep it colder. Next move was to block off all unnecessary rooms so the heat wouldn't escape. Next move, go to the shed and grab the Coleman stove and propane lanterns.
Nowadays, we do as you do; fire up the generator. Then, probably as you, too, see if the neighbors are in need of anything.

The power rarely goes out for that long a period of time anymore, though.

Classical
08-05-2015, 09:46 PM

If you think that was bad, wait until the EBT cards don't work.

old wood
09-01-2015, 12:51 PM
In 77..the grid had yet to fully adapt to more and more folks using AC. Meanwhile... people in big cities are not used to " no electric" so.. are unprepared. There's also the % of people who see it as an opportunity to go nuts..or to do crimes.

old wood
09-01-2015, 01:00 PM
While many want to "upgrade the Grid" it's been upgraded quite a bit since 1977. Mostly.. Power outage" would be rather local and temporary. I lived in the woods out west. A freak snowstorm... extreme rain/slides/flood, and a big ass quake.. happened. People living in the hills.. were used to power outs that could last quite awhile.

nonsqtr
09-07-2015, 05:32 PM
If you're in a major metropolitan area when TSHTF, you're pretty much f*cked.

The thing is, you're going to have some time to get out. But not much. You're going to have to act fast.

Do it. Get out. If you're stuck in the city when TSHTF, you're really screwed. There might be a few days of relative quiet while the thugs figure out where the opportunities are, but within just a few days the situation will descend into a New Orleans-style Katrina where the cops have fled and the citizens are trying to get food and water and FedGov is only mucking things up worse than they already are ("heckuva job, Brownie").

Plan a place, that you can get to, on short notice, and even on public transpo if necessary. Like they say in the fire alarm business, "plan your escape route".

We have a place to go, me and my wife and our kids. Four of us won't be a burden where we're going, and we bring invaluable skills to the table that people can't find anywhere else on the planet. (Or at least, "for many miles around"). Basic stuff.... surgical skills, for instance. People don't think about stuff like that. There'll be doctors in the city trying to take care of all the people who need it (and likely being overwhelmed by the effort), but there won't be too many who've prepped and thought ahead and are out in the woods with those whose view is long term survival.

Mum's the word
03-17-2016, 12:36 AM
Fear the Walking Dead episode 1.

Almost no one normal realizes there is a problem.
The few who do have to deal with the Normalcy Bias in their own families.
The most adaptable are those who do not live 'normal' lives (because their concept of 'normal' is skewed.
When people finally realize there is a problem, they think the Government will take care of them.
(more normalcy bias).
Obviously, a fictitious account, but I think this is probably the first good depiction of what the 'zombie apocalypse' (literally, in the case of the show) would look like, and how people would react to it, initially.
It is only later in the series that people lose their bias and realize they are on their own, some more quickly than others.
While SHTF comes in many forms, among them the undeniable chaos of natural disasters, there are more subtle ways civilizations lose civility temporarily or completely collapse, and the trick is to catch on very early in order to maximize your ability to deal with it. (Go into crisis mitigation mode). Timing is key. Do the right thing too early, you might spend your time behind bars, do it too late, you're dead or hurting.
No doubt, the more you are ready for anything, the better off you are.

sandhurstdelta
03-19-2016, 04:04 AM

Karl , if you have not yet read "One Second After" it is a great fictional depiction of SHTF and Armageddon.

Lots to think about.

sandhurstdelta
03-19-2016, 04:09 AM
If you're in a major metropolitan area when TSHTF, you're pretty much f*cked.

The thing is, you're going to have some time to get out. But not much. You're going to have to act fast.

Do it. Get out. If you're stuck in the city when TSHTF, you're really screwed. There might be a few days of relative quiet while the thugs figure out where the opportunities are, but within just a few days the situation will descend into a New Orleans-style Katrina where the cops have fled and the citizens are trying to get food and water and FedGov is only mucking things up worse than they already are ("heckuva job, Brownie").

Plan a place, that you can get to, on short notice, and even on public transpo if necessary. Like they say in the fire alarm business, "plan your escape route".

We have a place to go, me and my wife and our kids. Four of us won't be a burden where we're going, and we bring invaluable skills to the table that people can't find anywhere else on the planet. (Or at least, "for many miles around"). Basic stuff.... surgical skills, for instance. People don't think about stuff like that. There'll be doctors in the city trying to take care of all the people who need it (and likely being overwhelmed by the effort), but there won't be too many who've prepped and thought ahead and are out in the woods with those whose view is long term survival.

You don't need to outrun the bear.

You just need to outrun everybody else.

Water, water filter, rice, siphon hose, fire stick, camp stove, candles, vitamin pills, pistol, carbine, ammo, knife.

When you get tired of rice, you can try squirrel, opossum, raccoon, dog, and/or unarmed homo sapiens.

I once dated a Chinese girl who said Americans are just too finicky eaters because rat meat tastes pretty good.

sandhurstdelta
03-19-2016, 04:10 AM

Generators are a big waste of gas and very noisy.

You would be better off by getting a gasoline burning camp stove instead.

QuaseMarco
03-19-2016, 06:45 AM

Karl
03-19-2016, 06:25 PM

Cheap Generators ...TRUE....

IF ya willing SPEND the Dough HONDA makes some fairly "quiet" and very efficient generators

michaelr
03-19-2016, 06:34 PM
If y'all good look at the shit hits fan thingy, look at Venezuela. No water, no power, I bet they have no cops. Shopping? Really??

Or don't look, don't worry, and when it comes home, and it's gettin pritt'nir time, you can act all surprised like!

Rutabaga
03-19-2016, 07:27 PM

mine serves my purpose...if shtf develops,,i have no problem using force to get what i want...

my well supplies water,,the hand crank works in a pinch...i have food crops and animals, stoves, etc. to utilize...and a lot of open land around to see them coming from the observation deck on the barn...

i was born poor and ready...

Rutabaga
03-19-2016, 07:32 PM
Cheap Generators ...TRUE....

IF ya willing SPEND the Dough HONDA makes some fairly "quiet" and very efficient generators

if you go cheap,,you get cheap...ive got 3 fully functioning and well maintained generators,,1 runs on propane, [12 hrs on 5 lb tank] 2 gas with enough power to run my home for 10 hrs on one 4 gal. tank...

besides,,,i dont need my stuff when theres plenty out there to take...

this aint my first rodeo...

St James
03-19-2016, 07:44 PM
if you go cheap,,you get cheap...ive got 3 fully functioning and well maintained generators,,1 runs on propane, [12 hrs on 5 lb tank] 2 gas with enough power to run my home for 10 hrs on one 4 gal. tank...

besides,,,i dont need my stuff when theres plenty out there to take...

this aint my first rodeo...

manufactured right down the road from me.......
https://www.windstream-inc.com/my-solarmill

NuYawka
03-19-2016, 08:32 PM
I hate to burst everyone's bubble, but when we had that massive blackout in the summer of '03, that lasted two or three whole days; nobody did ANYTHING like what was done back in the 70's.

In fact, people barbecued all their food, threw block parties, made a jolly time of it. Civilians even directed traffic in major intersections (because no traffic lights).
I was so impressed.

It's really despicable that people still bring up the one in the 70's (because it was a nightmare, not to mention.. ANCIENT HISTORY) but you guys always happen to conveniently forget that everything went pretty damn well in '03.

2cent
03-20-2016, 01:59 PM

A burning camp stove to run my deep freezers so the meat doesn't spoil? That just ain't right. lol

FWIW, I run the generator to keep the meat from spoiling, the capability to run a few other things, besides, switching here and there, if necessary.

It, btw, isn't loud from where I sit. The breaker box is situated to where you barely hear it indoors.

2cent
03-20-2016, 02:03 PM
I hate to burst everyone's bubble, but when we had that massive blackout in the summer of '03, that lasted two or three whole days; nobody did ANYTHING like what was done back in the 70's.

In fact, people barbecued all their food, threw block parties, made a jolly time of it. Civilians even directed traffic in major intersections (because no traffic lights).
I was so impressed.

It's really despicable that people still bring up the one in the 70's (because it was a nightmare, not to mention.. ANCIENT HISTORY) but you guys always happen to conveniently forget that everything went pretty damn well in '03.
We here did okay. Neighbors called each other, pulled their resources together, and took care of the first problem PRONTO!

Beer run!
:cheers:

OldSchool
03-20-2016, 02:24 PM

I was so impressed.

We here did okay. Neighbors called each other, pulled their resources together, and took care of the first problem PRONTO!

Beer run!

Community based neighborhoods are great for short-term problems when taking care of each other and looking out for another can be a huge plus. But long term? .... When food can't be bought at stores and neighbors are starting to run dry too.... that's when I'm taking my beer and running to the hills.

2cent
03-20-2016, 02:59 PM
Community based neighborhoods are great for short-term problems when taking care of each other and looking out for another can be a huge plus. But long term? .... When food can't be bought at stores and neighbors are starting to run dry too.... that's when I'm taking my beer and running to the hills.
:cool: lol

We here have gardens. And live far enough apart that we don't grow to hate each other too fast.

But ya do make a point where 'long term' comes up. We've grown weary of mooches who we tend to keep as friends, anyway. Dunno how long that'd last.

Thing is, I don't ever really seeing the SHF to the point where stores are closed and nobody can obtain his necessities, so I don't fret it all that much.

I do see now where businessses are advertising survival packs on t.v,. so they must've fooled enough people into buying their over-priced prepper packs to buy ad time.
B.T. Barnum comes to mind...

But YES! You've got the MOST IMPORTANT priority set right.

sandhurstdelta
03-20-2016, 03:02 PM
Rice is the centerpiece of my own food storage. And rice requires a camp fire and boiling water.

A camp stove that burns unleaded gasoline works well too.

You can use cracked wheat instead, which requires no boiling just hot boiling water, but you won't get around the fire either way.

Meat can be cooked on sticks over any fire.

sandhurstdelta
03-20-2016, 03:03 PM
:cool: lol

We here have gardens. And live far enough apart that we don't grow to hate each other too fast.

But ya do make a point where 'long term' comes up. We've grown weary of mooches who we tend to keep as friends, anyway. Dunno how long that'd last.

Thing is, I don't ever really seeing the SHF to the point where stores are closed and nobody can obtain his necessities, so I don't fret it all that much.

I do see now where businessses are advertising survival packs on t.v,. so they must've fooled enough people into buying their over-priced prepper packs to buy ad time.
B.T. Barnum comes to mind...

But YES! You've got the MOST IMPORTANT priority set right.

Once you get hungry enough you will hate each other and eat each other too.

sandhurstdelta
03-20-2016, 03:04 PM

My solution to that problem is ammo.

NuYawka
03-20-2016, 03:06 PM

Beer run!
I wholeheartedly agree... beer is (and was) the FIRST thing on my list too.

Without any doubt.

OldSchool
03-20-2016, 03:06 PM
My solution to that problem is ammo.

Naw, ammo ain't the answer to everything.

Some times it's just best to say "fuck you" and get the hell out.

2cent
03-20-2016, 05:19 PM
Rice is the centerpiece of my own food storage. And rice requires a camp fire and boiling water.
We're from different worlds, perhaps. Perhaps not. We grow potatoes, so that's the 'centerpiece', if ya want to call it that; of our food storage. The ones we reap in Aug. generally last us until Spring.
We also grow, and put up corn - which also lasts until next harvest; onions, bell peppers, tomatoes - not all which can be counted on as much as taters and corn.

In short, I'm not a prepper. I'm a gardener who puts up what grows in excess enough to do so.

A camp stove that burns unleaded gasoline works well too.
A bit of wood from the side of our yard - or the hundreds of acres surrounding it - does just as well.

You can use cracked wheat instead, which requires no boiling just hot boiling water, but you won't get around the fire either way.
Not a big fan of rice nor cracked wheat. Good upon occasion, like we're having tonight w/ S&S Pork.

Meat can be cooked on sticks over any fire.
Surely, NOT!

Sorry, I just don't take this Prepper stuff all that seriously. I've been hunting, fishing, gardening all of my adult life, so, to me, it's simply what people do in any given year.
I buy into this "apocalypse" stuff about as much as I buy into "global warming."