PDA

View Full Version : Gun control suffers two setbacks in Congress

st james
03-20-2013, 05:53 AM
Gun control suffers two setbacks in Congress
http://news.yahoo.com/gun-control-su...201213233.html (http://news.yahoo.com/gun-control-suffers-two-setbacks-congress-201213233.html)

A Democratic proposal to ban the sale of assault weapons officially ended on Tuesday, when a lack of bipartisan support doomed the ban in the Senate. Also, background checks appear to remain in limbo.

Majority leader Harry Reid said he was withdrawing the assault weapons legislation after he couldn’t get within 20 votes of the 60 needed to avoid a filibuster. In fact, Reid said he couldn’t muster 40 votes, meaning that at least 15 Democrats or independents opposed the ban.

Reid also indicated that universal background checks, including checks on private gun sales, needed help to make it to a floor vote after Easter.

“There are a couple different background check proposals floating around,” Reid said. “All these issues are important and I’m going to do what I can to make sure we have a fair, sound debate on this but we can’t have it unless I have something that I can put on the floor to proceed to it,” Reid said in remarks reported by The Hill.

The current background check proposal was offered by Senator Chuck Schumer over the objections of several members of a bipartisan committee. Schumer intended it as a “placeholder” until......

....This Bill was destined to fail............
strike one.........
steeeerike two.......

Trinnity
03-20-2013, 06:05 AM
I know how dirty Obama plays....he'll find a way around it. Look how the govt is buying up all the ammo so there's not enough for we-the-people.

Regulations?
Taxes?

He's got plenty of avenues to restrict our gun rights. <the bastard>

st james
03-20-2013, 06:27 AM
better to beat them back than to have all-out war. Bought my ammo back couple of years ago. I am not worried. got it in a cool dry place.

zelmo1234
03-20-2013, 06:27 AM
Obama may try the regulations route on gun control, but unless he can muster some real pain and quickly with the sequester, his power is in fact fading quickly. He has about 8 months to get something done, most of this will be taken up by the budget debates and once again raising of the debt ceiling.

After that he has more trouble on the horizion, as people will be starting to hear what they will be facing in increased rates, layoff's and lossing their employer based healthcare insurance. Dems will be very set on getting this fixed, as blaming the rich, their origional plan, is starting to grow old with voters. So the very last thing that they need is to have gun control on the table too, going into a midterm that could be a tough one, if the ecnomony is not vastly imporved to cover the set back called Obamacare!

st james
03-20-2013, 06:35 AM
..Maobama care is next.................