PDA

View Full Version : Indoor Survival Produce Gardening Advice And What Works For Indoor Crops?

Karl
02-23-2013, 10:08 AM
I don't have much of a yard all I got room for is I plant tomatoes behind my shed and the rest is shrubs

Been studying somewhat about indoor gardening I've seen differ kits that can be set up for various berries herbs and vegetables and the hardware store has the one for growing tomatoes on a porch or a closet

I wonder if anybody is doing this and can suggest good books and sites

I think it would be a great way to have fresh produce year round without all the pesticides n crap you get with store bought and in survival times your garden is concealed indoors away from critters n theives

I have an empty spare bedroom what grows good indoors and could it sustain an individual obviously you'll need fats and proteins but that's what stockpiling is for

Good idea or waste of time

Karl
02-23-2013, 10:31 AM
I would also think that "fresh" produce would be an excellent bartering commodity when the supermarkets are no longer open the shelves looted of everything

Karl
02-23-2013, 06:11 PM
"Crickets"

Gemini
03-27-2013, 10:23 AM
Santa's Little Helper

Pole beans, and pole peas. If you have good windows that is. The foliage will grow into your needed privacy if you have enough potted near the window sill. Just rig up some chicken wire for the vines to crawl on and you'll be just fine.

Also, you'll not be able to grow tons of actual food, but herbs and spices you can do quite well. Although smaller tubers like radishes grow very quickly(seed to harvest within 20-30 days depending on breed what you grow). You can do indoor pumpkins, but your yield won't be as awesome as you'd like, I would go with sugar pie pumpkins. They are smaller, but make the best pies. You can make lots of stuff out of pumpkins. Cherry tomatoes as well have great yields but you'll need to prune them properly to increase yield, and rotate the plant when the time for ripening come around, or to the paper bag trick.

Unless you're willing to dedicate a room to a hydroponics bay, you won't be able to grow tons, but you can store lots of canned goods. It is a good idea, but one that you need to have some tech savvy with. The problem with Hydroponics the electrical cost involved. And if we're talking potential grid-down scenarios your fancy hydroponic set up is game over - unless you happen to have a good power source that isn't lootable. Most hydroponics recycle the bulk of the water used as well.

And for your limited yard. I would grow black berries. They grow like a weed and are tough, plus they produce edible and tasty berries. Problem is that they are an aggressive plant, do NOT plant them in a garden. Gotta keep them in check.

Okra also grows fairly quickly, but I don't know what it tastes like or if it does okay indoors.

But your best best is growing spices and herbs for both medicine and seasoning, and using that to barter with in my opinion.

Gemini
03-27-2013, 02:02 PM
As for fats and proteins, get a chicken that lays eggs. Eggs are a complete protein. Or you could get rabbits if you dig meats and just feed them the clippings from your lawn and various foliage you can find on the side of the road. No need to worry about your fat intakes excepts for omega 3 and omega 6 - because the body cannot synthesize them.