PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Video Games

Polly Kong
02-07-2013, 01:30 PM
Not sure if there's been a thread done on this subject yet, but just felt like posting some of my favorites. Feel free to jump in with any of your favorite titles for whatever systems. As for me, I'll start off with Nintendo systems.

In keeping with my fetish for lists, below I'll list my five favorite video games for each of Nintendo's home consoles excluding the Wii U. I'm excluding the Wii U because I only have six games for it as yet and so think that listing any top five would be rather premature at this early stage in the system's life span. I'm also excluding Nintendo's portable systems from this list because I don't use my portables as much as I do the home consoles. Finally, let me say that this is by no means to be necessarily thought of as a list of BEST games for each system in terms of their production values, nor is it a list of the top-sellers for each system by any means (as will become particularly obvious by the time one gets to the latter systems). This is simply a list of personal favorites as determined by the comparative amount of play time I've put into them, nothing more. Okay, with that said, here goes:

NES:

1) Dragon Warrior
2) The Legend of Zelda
3) Dragon Power
4) Super Mario Bros. 2
5) Final Fantasy

Super NES:

1) Final Fantasy III
2) Chrono Trigger
3) Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
4) Secret of Mana
5) Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars

Nintendo 64:

1) The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
2) Mischief Makers
3) Banjo-Kazooie
4) Diddy Kong Racing
5) Jet Force Gemini

Game Cube:

1) Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean
2) Beyond Good and Evil
3) Tales of Symphonia
4) Chibi Robo!
5) The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

Wii:

1) Okami
2) The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
3) Muramasa: The Demon Blade
4) Lost in Shadow
5) Ivy the Kiwi?

02-07-2013, 01:32 PM
Interesting...I love Legend of Zelda Windwaker/Occarana of Time/Twilight Princess, as well.

But for me it is 100% Bethesda Softworks for the win! Morrowind and Skyrim are my favorites--no, Skyrim is my real life, this one is fake.

I also like Bioware Dragon Age series.

02-07-2013, 01:32 PM
Polly Kong

Have you seen The Zelda Project?

Amazing photographs.

Coolwalker
02-07-2013, 01:37 PM
Call of Duty United Offensive
Red Orchestra
Red Orchestra II
Battlefield II and III

02-07-2013, 01:40 PM
Call of Duty United Offensive
Red Orchestra
Red Orchestra II
Battlefield II and III

How could I have guessed :)

Coolwalker
02-07-2013, 01:41 PM
I liked Diablo a few years ago and am playing Diablo III now, but I'm not impressed.

The XL
02-07-2013, 01:54 PM
This is right up my ally. Will make comprehensive list in about 10 minutes when I get the time.

The XL
02-07-2013, 01:54 PM
How could I have guessed :)

I want to see Rinnies list.

02-07-2013, 02:12 PM
I want to see Rinnies list.

Wii

Twilight Princess
Skyward Sword
Sonic Generations
Sonic and the Black Night
Sonic and the Secret Rings

Playstation
Parappa the Rapper
Robot Pit
Twisted Metal

Playstation II
Shadow the Hedgehog
UnJammer Lammy

Xbox
Morrowind
Morrowind
Morrowind
Morrowind

Xbox360
Oblivion
Dragon Age Origins
Sonic Unleashed
Skyrim
Skyrim
Skyrim
Skyrim
Skyrim

Sinestro/Green Arrow
02-07-2013, 02:23 PM
I'm with X. I'll get a nice list going when I get home.

The XL
02-07-2013, 02:31 PM
Playstation:

1. Final Fantasy 7
2. Xenogears
3. Final Fantasy 8
4. Final Fantasy 9
5. Driver

XBox 360:

1. NBA 2k13
2. UFC Undisputed 2013
3. WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2007
4. Grand Theft Auto 4
5. Marvel vs Capcom 3

Super Nintendo

1. Chrono Trigger
2. Final Fantasy 3(6)
3. Street Fighter 2
4. Dragonball Z: Chou Saiya Densetsu(Released in Japanese only)
5. Super Punch Out

Nintendo:

1. Mike Tysons Punch Out
2. Mario Bros
3. Mario Bros 3
4. Double Dragon
5. Double Dragon 2

My Top 10 of all time:

1. Final Fantasy 7(Playstation)
2. Xenogears(Playstation)
3. Marvel vs Capcom 2(Arcade)
4. Romance of the Three Kingdoms 8(PS2)
5. Final Fantasy 8(Playstation)
6. Romance of the Three Kingdoms 9(PS2)
7. Dragonball Z: Attack of the Sayians(Nintendo DS)
8. NBA 2K13(XBox 360)
9. Dragonball Z: Chou Saiya Densetsu(SNES)
10. Grand Theft Auto 4(XBox 360)

I'm only 24, but most of the stuff I play is relatively old school, aside from modern sports games, which I naturally play on 360.

The XL
02-07-2013, 02:39 PM
How the fuck could I forget Pokemon? Knock the last two off my top 10, and replace them with Pokemon Red/Blue, and Pokemon Gold/Silver. How could I forsake my childhood by omitting Pokemon?

02-07-2013, 02:48 PM
Oh...Sega Genesis: Sonic, TMNT, Mortal Kombat.

The XL
02-07-2013, 02:50 PM
TMNT for the Arcade was the shit. I forgot about that one too. Damn.

GrassrootsConservative
02-07-2013, 02:53 PM
Sega Gen - Sonic Spinball
PS1 - Einhander
PS2 - Twisted Metal Black
PS3 - Brothers in Arms - Hells Highway
Xbox 360 - Fallout 3

GrassrootsConservative
02-07-2013, 03:04 PM
I'll assume nobody here has ever heard of Einhander. :grin:
Here's a tune from the soundtrack:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5fNBNTXYlQ
Gets me pumped every time.

OceanloverOH
02-07-2013, 08:18 PM
I'm a fan of old-school role-playing games for the PC, mostly written and created by independent developers and marketed in a simple 2D format like RPG Maker. The focus is on the story and the role-playing elements, NOT the graphics. I actually beta test for several developers, a few games every year. For some of the "indies", English is not their first language, so assisting with smooth, intelligent English dialogue is always a fun challenge. Beta testing is not a paying job, it's just fun to help make each game the best game you can. Most developers will put you in the story as a non-playable character (a character with just a line or two, not important to the story) and provide you with a free copy of the completed game in thanks for helping test it. Here's a screen shot of my NPC character in a game I beta tested several years ago.

http://thepoliticalforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1457&d=1360285274

My favorites in this genre are the Aveyond Series, by Amaranth Games; and anything by Eridani Games (I will be beta testing a new game for Eridani later this month, for possible release in March).

Magnum
02-08-2013, 03:58 PM
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is a game i often return to. Another great game is The Saboteur. I love WW2 games.

OceanloverOH
02-08-2013, 05:19 PM
I'm a fan of old-school role-playing games for the PC, mostly written and created by independent developers and marketed in a simple 2D format like RPG Maker. The focus is on the story and the role-playing elements, NOT the graphics. I actually beta test for several developers, a few games every year. For some of the "indies", English is not their first language, so assisting with smooth, intelligent English dialogue is always a fun challenge. Beta testing is not a paying job, it's just fun to help make each game the best game you can. Most developers will put you in the story as a non-playable character (a character with just a line or two, not important to the story) and provide you with a free copy of the completed game in thanks for helping test it. Here's a screen shot of my NPC character in a game I beta tested several years ago.

http://thepoliticalforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1457&d=1360285274

My favorites in this genre are the Aveyond Series, by Amaranth Games; and anything by Eridani Games (I will be beta testing a new game for Eridani later this month, for possible release in March).

WTH happened to my picture? It went into the Twilight Zone or something. Let me try to re-link it........

The XL
02-08-2013, 05:33 PM
I always wanted to create my own RPG, but that shit on the RPG maker series was time consuming and confusing.

OceanloverOH
02-08-2013, 08:42 PM
I always wanted to create my own RPG, but that shit on the RPG maker series was time consuming and confusing.

Ooooo, I bet you'd be good at it! Tell you what, you write it and develop it; I'll proof and beta for you, and not charge you a cent. Deal?

Sinestro/Green Arrow
02-08-2013, 08:49 PM
Eh, screw it. I only play two games regularly and they are also my favorites: World of Warcraft and The Lord of the Rings Online.

Roadmaster
02-08-2013, 08:53 PM
I don't play those games but my sons love and I have no idea what it is called but they play it online where you are at war with another team. They all have their own screen names.

Trinnity
02-08-2013, 10:14 PM
I don't play vid games...but there was one I liked....Secret Service. Yeah, I know.....

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRz8JpFfZCho58Di6Dd0IZafDpL4KI2O GJIz2xw7pmsL77BAMf4vA

I got good at it. Went through all the levels and even got the bomb on a time limit.

Roadmaster
02-08-2013, 10:51 PM
Black ops two, just asked one of my sons.

Trinnity
02-08-2013, 10:54 PM
I liked space invaders and pac man. Yeah, I'm not on top of the viddy games. Don't care. I've got bigger fish to fry - real life.

02-08-2013, 10:56 PM
I liked space invaders and pac man. Yeah, I'm not on top of the viddy games. Don't care. I've got bigger fish to fry - real life.

Play Skyrim. Go to Riften. Ask for Brynjolf. You'll thank me. Thief. Scottish accent. Need I say more?

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSzOxpKGu0TPoxrIVgB-fSEuve8Vd0BpNdcem6Mp_PQIlAgbswA

Roadmaster
02-08-2013, 11:04 PM
I use to like the old dos ones spear and wolfenstein. I know I spelled them wrong but won every level. Still play roller-coaster tycoon with my granddaughter when she visits.

The XL
02-08-2013, 11:11 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot the Phoenix Wright series for the DS, those games are awesome. They're right up your ally Rina, you play as a defense attorney.

Polly Kong
02-09-2013, 11:23 AM
I've (almost) always been a Sonic fan myself. The original Sonic the Hedgehog for the Genesis was the first game I ever got. (That's right, treason! I had both the Genesis and the Super NES back in the 16-bit era. :D ) I wouldn't say that Sonic has particularly amazed me since Sonic Adventure 2, but I really like a lot of the newest Sonic titles, including Sonic Colors, Sonic 4, Sonic Generations, and the new Sonic kart racers. I think they're finally starting to back on track after roughly a decade of mediocrity.

As you can tell from my list in the OP though, my preference is definitely for fantasy RPGs and adventure games, though I also like lots of puzzle games these days too. I don't really care much for the modern, Western MMO-RPGs. Once RPGs started going multi-player, that's when the genre started going downhill, IMO. Although I don't hate them all, shooting games, fighting games, and (conventional) sports games are my least favorite genres.

The XL
02-09-2013, 11:26 AM
Ooooo, I bet you'd be good at it! Tell you what, you write it and develop it; I'll proof and beta for you, and not charge you a cent. Deal?

Sure. When I got a little more free time, you got yourself a deal. I'll let you know.

The XL
02-09-2013, 11:27 AM
I've (almost) always been a Sonic fan myself. The original Sonic the Hedgehog for the Genesis was the first game I ever got. (That's right, treason! I had both the Genesis and the Super NES back in the 16-bit era. :D ) I wouldn't say that Sonic has particularly amazed me since Sonic Adventure 2, but I really like a lot of the newest Sonic titles, including Sonic Colors, Sonic 4, Sonic Generations, and the new Sonic kart racers. I think they're finally starting to back on track after roughly a decade of mediocrity.

As you can tell from my list in the OP though, my preference is definitely for fantasy RPGs and adventure games, though I also like lots of puzzle games these days too. I don't really care much for the modern, Western MMO-RPGs. Once RPGs started going multi-player, that's when the genre started going downhill, IMO. Although I don't hate them all, shooting games, fighting games, and (conventional) sports games are my least favorite genres.

You seem like a Nintendo mark, but all the best JRPGs ever made were on the Playstation. Dozens of RPGs on the PS were at least 8/10 caliber games.

Polly Kong
02-11-2013, 04:06 PM
I agree that the original PlayStation had a lot of great RPGs. I particularly enjoyed Final Fantasy VII and VIII. But the Super NES has a larger library of real classics that I enjoy, by a slight margin. I also really liked the Lunar games for Sega CD (which fortunately were later re-released as a package deal for the PlayStation!).

02-11-2013, 11:23 PM

Sonic Generations and Sonic Colors ruled! Unfortunately they came out at the same time as Skyrim, so they got less of my attention than they normally would.

Cap
02-13-2013, 09:28 PM
Best game evah.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thsnDqQu0mQ

(from a master chocobo breeder)