PDA

View Full Version : Practical Urban Preparedness For Average Folks

Karl
02-04-2013, 04:44 PM
I know if you go read all the books they tell you to make a bugout retreat out in the country somewhere

Well that's nice if you got MONEY to do that but frankly lots of us are just AVERAGE FOLKS and lack the means to do that

So I'm going to share practical preparedness for in your house or apartment or anywhere for that matter

Water always store water I generally keep afew cases of bottled water in my pantry at all times also know water sources in your area and treatment methods to make it safe to drink

Food keep atleast 2 weeks food for each family member handy try to store stuff that needs minimal cooking if cash is tight just buy afew cases of ramen several jars of peanut butter and stash big boxes of instant rice it doesn't sound very appealing but it will keep your belly full and cheap for those on fixed budgets stockpile it up

Cooking if you got a Coleman campstove or a propane grill with the side burner you are off to a great start "Make SURE you got PROPANE" if you live in a small apartment go with the JET BOIL they are sold at sporting goods stores JetBOIL will boil a pint of water in 3 minutes flat and it's gota burner conversion piece to support a small pan thou burn Propane/Butane mix stock pile atleast 10 canisters to last awhile

Illumination you'll need lite that's a given candles are a start but Lanterns are the best Walmart has cheap but effective kerosene lamps $5-10 bucks depending on model and size and they sell clear lamp oil for 5 bucks a half gallon jug they're cheap buy several lanterns and several jugs of CLEAR LAMP OIL don't forget SPARE WICKS and you'll have plenty of light to see
Also make sure you got FLASHLIGHTS and BATTERIES

Warmth in an emergency you may not be able to rely on utilities especially if you got electric heat like me so ya need a plan SLEEPING BAGS for each family member also you can buy little propane heaters like the MR BUDDY which will heat a small room and make sure everybody has long johns

Home Protection
there is a chance your neighbors didn't plan ahead and find themselves out
COVER ALL WINDOWS so others can't look in see what you got and BUY A GUN
Many of you probably own a gun but many probably dont

I suggest atleast a 38 revolver and a 20 guage double barrel shotgun WHY THESE because I like simple weapons especially for those who are unfamiliar with guns and simple means less mechanical parts means LESS FAILURE a Revolver is so simple to operate a small child can learn DON'T GIVE YOUR KIDS GUNS and a Double barrel shotgun is also simple just slide the small lever and the barrel drops put shells in pop barrel back up highly effective at close range like outside your doors or windows and both can be aqquired cheaply very common at any sporting goods store keep atleast afew boxes of ammo for each

Other stuff I recommend
Radio with batteries for keeping up with latest news
First Aid Kit
Hand Sanitizer
case of toilet paper "you still gotta crap"
Extra medication
Stuff for children to do like board games coloring books etc

Well it's not exactly preparing for the RAPTURE but this will get you through any short term emergency such as storm an extended blackout or terrorist attack even temporary martial law whatever

Hope this helps

Trinnity
02-04-2013, 05:09 PM
I didn't know about the Jet Boil. Thanks.

Btw, welcome to the forum.

Coolwalker
02-04-2013, 05:13 PM
Welcome aboard.

02-04-2013, 05:15 PM
Hi there!

I love this stuff. Thank you very much. Great opening post.

The XL
02-04-2013, 05:20 PM
Well, when shit goes down, I'm screwed, I live in NY. Nice thread though.

Fearandloathing
02-04-2013, 06:10 PM
That is the most comprehensive list I've seen and we get regular 'warnings' about that stuff. You see I live in Vancouver. We are almost surrounded by water, most of it salt, with a single, tenuous link in the form of a new eight lane suspension bridge to the east and a four lane tunnel to the south.
And we are virtually on top of the joint of three fault lines, and yes, we get trembling a few times a year.

To the southeast we have the brother volcano to Mt St. Helen's, the quiet but still active Mt Baker. The thinking is that if there is a major fault shift we will get out shores wiped out by the wave effect, some balconies knocked off buildings and all our suspension bridges put in at least the 'if' category. And, a large enough shake and Baker goes off.

So, as the water recedes we get hot ash.....

I've been meaning to buy some bottled water and stuff for 30 years or more. I do have Bandaids, though

Not to be gloomy though, welcome...

Karl
02-05-2013, 06:25 AM
That is the most comprehensive list I've seen and we get regular 'warnings' about that stuff. You see I live in Vancouver. We are almost surrounded by water, most of it salt, with a single, tenuous link in the form of a new eight lane suspension bridge to the east and a four lane tunnel to the south.
And we are virtually on top of the joint of three fault lines, and yes, we get trembling a few times a year.

To the southeast we have the brother volcano to Mt St. Helen's, the quiet but still active Mt Baker. The thinking is that if there is a major fault shift we will get out shores wiped out by the wave effect, some balconies knocked off buildings and all our suspension bridges put in at least the 'if' category. And, a large enough shake and Baker goes off.

So, as the water recedes we get hot ash.....

I've been meaning to buy some bottled water and stuff for 30 years or more. I do have Bandaids, though

Not to be gloomy though, welcome...

Sounds like you live on a real powder keg there but as the purpose of Op this is about people who gotta stay put.

At thr very least get some supplies have them handy.

As for floods and volcanoes well not sure what to say but Vancouver has been around a very long time and Im sure Seattle shares a very similar geographic scenario so hopefully it doesnt happen in your lifetime

Karl
02-07-2013, 11:32 AM
Well, when shit goes down, I'm screwed, I live in NY. Nice thread though.

May I ask what does New York have to do with it

Sure that old movie but in REAL LIFE most are just AVERAGE FOLKS like us

Even in New York what I think will happen is the GOOD PEOPLE outnumber the bad and ultimately in a true collapse the GOOD PEOPLE will BAND TOGETHER for the GREATER GOOD

Karl
04-26-2013, 08:50 AM

Common
04-28-2013, 03:46 AM
There is a company in florida that builds shelters and installs them. From small for two people up to 6 I believe. They are neat and not that expensive, its a cement room for two with air vents. You can install it right outside your back door and have the lid under patio blocks, the only thing you would see if air vents. They were designed for Hurricane Protection.
I have a concern though, if trees and lots of debris fall on the lid how they hell do you get out.

Perianne
06-29-2013, 01:07 PM
So I'm going to share practical preparedness for in your house or apartment or anywhere for that matter

Thank you. I have been reading a ton about when SHTF. I appreciate your input. I did not know about Jetboil either.

Karl
10-12-2013, 05:30 AM
Thank you. I have been reading a ton about when SHTF. I appreciate your input. I did not know about Jetboil either.

Jetboil is AWESOME

I discovered Jetboil on the Appalachian Trail

At Springer I started out with a cheap Coleman butane stove from Wally world and a cheap pot from gander mountain

3 days in I had already burned through 2 canisters of fuel and it was taking 15 minutes just to boil water and make pasta sides

After the decsend of Blood Mountain is Waslsi Gap and the Outfitters and Hostel

Knowing my stove situation I looked around and ponyed up $100 bucks for my jetboil after seeing them in action my first few days

They also got me for boots if ya gonna do the Appalachian invest in QUALITY BOOTS my tore up Cheap boots are hanging in the tree out front the owner is trying to collect 2160 boots from hikers one for every mile of the AT