PDA

View Full Version : Should US negotiate with Taliban to swap prisoners for American POW Bowe Bergdahl?

Matt
02-19-2014, 01:21 PM
http://images.sodahead.com/profiles/0/0/2/1/8/0/2/1/7/barack-obama-132832782160.jpeg#barack%20obama (http://www.shutterstock.com/)

The Obama administration has decided to revive talks with the Afghan Taliban in an effort to free the only known American soldier in captivity in exchange for the release of Taliban prisoners held at the U.S. detention facility in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, The Washington Post reported late Monday. Five Taliban prisoners who have been held at Guantanamo for years would be released to protective custody in exchange for the release of Bowe Bergdahl, who was captured in Afghanistan in 2009, the newspaper reported, citing current and former U.S. officials familiar with the decision.

I thought we did "not negotiate with terrorists" Is that not a well known famous quote the US has been known for for decades. My issue with this is...firstly had he not gone AWOL to begin with he would not have been captured. So he's really going from one prison to another. Secondly we're creating a standard that encourages kidnapping. If we kidnap someone they'll give us our guys back - they exploit that we follow Geneva Conventions and that they do not. So while Sergeant Bergdahl needs to come home...I'd rather it be done by a elite squad of Navy Seals, Air Force PJ's, or Army Rangers....instead of some pencil dick negotiator who's going to undermine our already weakening foreign position.

Teutorian
02-19-2014, 01:34 PM
I didn't know the Taliban qualified as a terrorist organization, for one.
Anyway, is this the part where a bunch of people on a forum decide the worth of a man's life and balance it against some imaginary pride of the nation?

Matt
02-19-2014, 01:42 PM

They've always been qualified and labeled as a Terrorist Organization.....for like 25 years now....more even...

Anyway, is this the part where a bunch of people on a forum decide the worth of a man's life and balance it against some imaginary pride of the nation?

Welcome to the internet.

Teutorian
02-19-2014, 01:45 PM
They've always been qualified and labeled as a Terrorist Organization.....for like 25 years now....more even...
By what definition? The politically convenient one? I don't seem to recall the Taliban ever taking credit for a World Trade Center bombing or blowing up a subway in Madrid.

Welcome to the internet.
Thanks.

Matt
02-19-2014, 01:47 PM
By what definition? The politically convenient one? I don't seem to recall the Taliban ever taking credit for a World Trade Center bombing or blowing up a subway in Madrid.

They are a self described terrorist organization. I mean. You can debate it...but it's kinda like debating whether the sky is blue or not. You'll have to wait till someone actually interested comes into the thread. I'm not going to waste my time debating whether a terror organization is in fact terrorist and then judge them off of the many terror attacks they have pulled off.

Teutorian
02-19-2014, 01:55 PM
They are a self described terrorist organization. I mean. You can debate it...but it's kinda like debating whether the sky is blue or not. You'll have to wait till someone actually interested comes into the thread. I'm not going to waste my time debating whether a terror organization is in fact terrorist and then judge them off of the many terror attacks they have pulled off.

The Taliban describes itself as a terrorist organization? lol.
Wow, the bad guys are becoming Hollywood cliches.

I don't know the details of his AWOL, but I think anyone in his position would welcome a prisoner exchange. They aren't new, and if we can overthrow nations for Al Qaeda (a real terrorist organization), I think we can commit to a prisoner exchange with the Taliban.

Matalese
02-19-2014, 02:34 PM
If you were an Afghan woman in a blue burka kneeling in a soccer stadium waiting to have your brains blown out you'd think they were terrorists, well, knowing you maybe not. And secondly no one forces you to hang out on the forum discussing the issue do they?

DeadEye
02-19-2014, 02:40 PM
No!

Teutorian
02-19-2014, 02:41 PM
If you were an Afghan woman in a blue burka kneeling in a soccer stadium waiting to have your brains blown out you'd think they were terrorists, well, knowing you maybe not. And secondly no one forces you to hang out on the forum discussing the issue do they?

Murderers and executioners aren't necessarily terrorists and I dislike Orwellian use of language. The word terrorist has a very specific definition and I see no reason to change that definition to "people we don't like." The NDAA allows the U.S. government to indefinitely detain "terrorists." How vague do you want that word to become?

Maybe `conservatives` are terrorists.

How many citizens has the U.S. military killed in the Middle East? Terrorists too? Or is wearing Muslim garb a requirement?

Matalese
02-19-2014, 02:45 PM
Murderers and executioners aren't necessarily terrorists and I dislike Orwellian use of language. The word terrorist has a very specific definition and I see no reason to change that definition to "people we don't like." The NDAA allows the U.S. government to indefinitely detain "terrorists." How vague do you want that word to become?

Maybe `conservatives` are terrorists.

How many citizens has the U.S. military killed in the Middle East? Terrorists too? Or is wearing Muslim garb a requirement?

I'm probably one of millions who don't give a shit about your preferences.

Teutorian
02-19-2014, 02:48 PM
I'm probably one of millions who don't give a shit about your preferences.

You really are the perfect American. No regard for language makes you ideal for the coming 21st century slave society.

Matalese
02-19-2014, 02:49 PM
:smiley_ROFLMAO:

Calypso Jones
02-19-2014, 02:51 PM
Matalese, Teutorian. Gentlemen. Everyone has the right to their own beliefs, even if we personally don't like those beliefs.

Best way to handle that is to respond to those beliefs and not attack the individual...that is so leftist.

Teutorian
02-19-2014, 02:56 PM
Not an attack; it was just an observation.

The OP framed the question around the fact that the U.S. doesn't traditionally negotiate with terrorists, or at least that's how it works in the movies. In reality, we help them overthrow regimes and help them fight civil wars, but I digress.

The Taliban isn't a terrorist organization by the definition of what a terrorist is, unless I've missed an Embassy bombing they've taken credit for in another country somewhere, so I don't think a prisoner exchange is that impossible. It definitely isn't as bad as say... arming them and giving them air support in a civil war

Calypso Jones
02-19-2014, 02:59 PM
Well I'd have to agree that this administration would love to do a swap...not so much to get back our guys but rather to release the bad guy so they can continue killing our guys.

We are in a world of ship.

Perianne
02-19-2014, 03:34 PM
Well I'd have to agree that this administration would love to do a swap...not so much to get back our guys but rather to release the bad guy so they can continue killing our guys.

I like when you post. :)

Matalese
02-19-2014, 03:46 PM
@Matalese (http://thepoliticsforums.com/member.php?u=379), @Teutorian (http://thepoliticsforums.com/member.php?u=264). Gentlemen. Everyone has the right to their own beliefs, even if we personally don't like those beliefs.

Best way to handle that is to respond to those beliefs and not attack the individual...that is so leftist.
I'm a woman! Thanks

Matt
02-19-2014, 04:12 PM
Not an attack; it was just an observation.

The OP framed the question around the fact that the U.S. doesn't traditionally negotiate with terrorists, or at least that's how it works in the movies. In reality, we help them overthrow regimes and help them fight civil wars, but I digress.

The Taliban isn't a terrorist organization by the definition of what a terrorist is, unless I've missed an Embassy bombing they've taken credit for in another country somewhere, so I don't think a prisoner exchange is that impossible. It definitely isn't as bad as say... arming them and giving them air support in a civil war

Actually the OP posted a question on a real world event and then posted what it symbolized. Then you went off on how much you don't think the Taliban is a terrorist organization (even though they are).

Teutorian
02-19-2014, 04:17 PM
I thought we did "not negotiate with terrorists" Is that not a well known famous quote the US has been known for for decades. My issue with this is...firstly had he not gone AWOL to begin with he would not have been captured. So he's really going from one prison to another. Secondly we're creating a standard that encourages kidnapping. If we kidnap someone they'll give us our guys back - they exploit that we follow Geneva Conventions and that they do not. So while Sergeant Bergdahl needs to come home...I'd rather it be done by a elite squad of Navy Seals, Air Force PJ's, or Army Rangers....instead of some pencil dick negotiator who's going to undermine our already weakening foreign position.

The first sentence of your OP.

Matt
02-19-2014, 04:43 PM
The first sentence of your OP.

...the following 5 sentences of my OP.

Matalese
02-19-2014, 06:02 PM

This administration and their minions cannot force themselves to utter the word terrorism.

Calypso Jones
02-19-2014, 06:04 PM
foreign or domestic.

DeadEye
02-19-2014, 06:07 PM
This administration and their minions cannot force themselves to utter the word terrorism.

Yea, they are afraid they may implicate themselves.

Perianne
02-19-2014, 06:14 PM
Matalese. I used to respect you. Now I wonder about you. This administration has made it clear that right-wing groups are terrorists. Geez, get it right, will ya?

Matalese
02-19-2014, 06:23 PM
@Matalese (http://thepoliticsforums.com/member.php?u=379). I used to respect you. Now I wonder about you. This administration has made it clear that right-wing groups are terrorists. Geez, get it right, will ya?

Oh errrrmm yes, I forgot.

Fearandloathing
02-19-2014, 06:30 PM

Welcome to the internet.

I am unaware of the Taliban existing 25 years ago; are you not confusing them with Al Qaeda?

Further, I am also unaware of the Taliban being involved in any terrorist activities. They became a target of the Bush administration under the genius one's idea that if you hide a terrorist you are the enemy.

And since when is negotiating a bad thing?

Oh wait, this is a scorched earth policy, kill everyone and don't stop until their all dead.

Teutorian
02-19-2014, 06:34 PM
I am unaware of the Taliban existing 25 years ago; are you not confusing them with Al Qaeda?

Further, I am also unaware of the Taliban being involved in any terrorist activities. They became a target of the Bush administration under the genius one's idea that if you hide a terrorist you are the enemy.

The Taliban attacked us at Pearl Harbor. They're not just terrorists; they're terrorist nazi zombies, and in Murika, we don't negotiate with their kind.

Perianne
02-19-2014, 06:35 PM
The Taliban attacked us at Pearl Harbor.

It was the Germans.